Ngauge

will15

There is absolutely no technical reason why not, however they said we would have to order and sell a pcmtec branded ngauge and they wouldn't support existing customers who already own one. That coupled with the fact they on average take a month to reply to emails meant we gave up on ngauge support. 

It is probably legal (and quicker) in Australia for us to reverse engineer support under interoperability laws however we don't really want to go there.

3 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Seems a bit silly on ngauge's behalf, as most people from here out will probably use pcmtec for tuning. 

I suspect it is due to Jim Ferraro owning the distribution rights to the HPTuners nguage, hence they would have to give permission to nguage to allow them to give us access to their key used in the files. Which as you can see is very unlikely to happen.

The fact most of our market will be using an existing nguage and not buying a new one, means that there is nothing really in it $ wise for them either, so I can understand why they seemed so uninterested.

Not much in it for us, we originally were looking as we didn't have an alternative. Now that we have released the tablet flash only software for multiple tunes, total including a tablet and licensing is about $600 so similar pricing. 

Once the datalogging is complete we will add it to the tablet. This should effectively do eveything the ngauge can do plus more. 

• Like 1

I know my opinions have changed a lot since starting a business. End of the day two things matter, solving a problem/adding value for the customer, and making money. If you don't add value for the customer, your product will suck and you will go out of business. On the other hand if you don't make money you will go out of business as well.

So it is always a balance of juggling making your product as good as possible, but also turning a profit.

The issue when your company gets huge like Derive/SCT etc is the CEO and top people often are so disconnected from the final product they don't actually know when they are no longer adding value for the customer. You see it all the time when a company gets too big, the support and quality tends to drop as there is a big disconnect from the owners, the developers and the end customer. We are lucky that we are all 3 at the moment.

I hope we can continue to do our best at adding value by improving existing features or adding new ones (like the Custom OS etc) that no one else has and still be profitable as we grow. Our goal is to have software that everyone genuinely believes is better than the competition, I know we are not there in several areas to date but we will not stop until we are. To do this we will never be the cheapest but I am a big believer of you get what you pay for.

On the other end of the spectrum I've seen a few packages pop up that offer credits for $25 a car, it is just not possible to provide quality support or service for this price.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I have all ready had the car licensed with hp tunes and then retuned and licensed with pcm. Could I then read the tune again with hp and then save to the ngauge and possibly reflash it back then with ngauge. Or would this cause licensing problems with pcm tech?

1 hour ago, will15 said:

If I have all ready had the car licensed with hp tunes and then retuned and licensed with pcm. Could I then read the tune again with hp and then save to the ngauge and possibly reflash it back then with ngauge. Or would this cause licensing problems with pcm tech?

On 8/12/2018 at 6:30 PM, Seanno said:

What happens if another flash tuner ie hpt or sct reads this custom os? 

On 8/12/2018 at 7:45 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

SCT doesn't read existing tunes.

HPTuners will give a checksum error as they won't support it.

I think this might be the answer.

1 hour ago, will15 said:

It will read it and I can save the file, just worried it will swap the license back to hp if I flash it back with the ngauge, and I would need to re-license to use pcm again.

If you use the custom os or tuner lock it wont work (as in hptuners will give you a checksum error). If you use a normal osid then I see no reason why hptuners or the ngauge wouldnt work. Hptuners do their licensing off vin/serial/osid which is similar to us, they don't actually modify anything so both their product and our should work side by side. 

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, fordsrule said:

Does the Ford pcm allow real time tuning, i read someones comment that said they don't?

Cheers

No and no plans to add it. Would be considerable effort and no one would pay for it from the research we did. We would have to charge $1k per car instead of $150 to make it worth while and basically every workshop said they wouldn't use it.