Crackle and pop like Audi RS3 Golf R or Focus turbo

Loki

Hi Roland,

Would it require custom OS for our Ford to have that feature like those European cars? Crackle and pop whenever you let go of the throttle regardless of neutral or in gear. There is a lot of them in my arear...... those RS3 and AMG like flies every day. I do not think with their strategy it use more fuel because it is still under 10l/100km as far as I know from a mate's RS3.

Would you down the track investigate how those car's strategy enable those crackle and pop whenever the REV drops? It is a bit like anti-lag for turbo and it is not just dumping all the extra fuel into the exhaust. They all are using factory tune and some tweak for that sound, flash tune like us! Something like this 

Cheers

NA cars will always crackle and pop far more than a turbo due to the turbo muffling the sound but you can still do it on a turbo.

The method to do it is via the decel spark and low load fueling. There is another thread about flames which discusses these maps. Eg if you set the decel spark to 0 degrees you will massively deafening backfires on deceleration. I tried it and it was extremely loud and very obnoxious.

You need to disable DFCO as well by setting auF1265 "Minimum DFSO time delay seconds" to something like 8+ seconds (after 8seconds of decel it will shut off fuel). Note this parameter is only available in Professional and above.

Try this for some muffler destruction. You will probably destroy the baffles in your muffler if you ran this for an extended period of time.

image.png.7ca5a9345567112f394084f86ba4b082.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 9:55 PM, richardpalinkas said:

Just to touch base on this, setting -10 degrees in decel spark table makes for some good pops for free revving decel.

I'm running about 6 degrees, -10 must be pretty loud! I found 0 degrees deafening, sounded like it would destroy your muffler baffles pretty quickly. You must get some pretty funny looks when you drive around?

3 hours ago, richardpalinkas said:

Im not sure if e85 makes a difference or not, but doesnt pop under decel at all. More a slight rumble

i had to run -15 deg to get some sort of pop on e85 but then it drove weird as i think the quick jump from going to -15 to +25 on accel made it feel funny

On 12/1/2018 at 8:39 PM, gelousi said:

It was on 98, e85 i find is a lot harder to crackle but i believe we left it at  5deg on decel from 2-3k, didnt even try doing it waves as he was very happy with it 

Hi,

That sound is exactly what I had been looking for. Can you share the details of your set up? Which table and scalar? Do you need still to disable DFCO or just changes in Decel Spark?

I still want to know how Audi VW can have crackle pop during stationary or neutral/park. We can only dream of crackles when in Drive.

I tried Decel spark only and have some pop like fire crackers, it is stupid to scare other drivers. I prefer crackles like in your video. Please help me?

23 hours ago, gelousi said:

You can get it in park need to play with dfco settings it’s all in there very easy :) 

Hi,

Are you willing to share or this is your business. I do not mind to pay if someone can do it for me! Are you in Melbourne?

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

i gave up. I got DFCO disabled and verified on the road. I set decel spark to 5 and I got nothing. I got it used a little more fuel but there was no crackles. I might need to take the car to someone who knows what to do then.

How did you disable DFCO ?

What exhaust do you have as well?

24 minutes ago, richardpalinkas said:

Easiest way to disable dfco is to set enable temp to -40 deg and make sure you change the tirque managemwnt settings for tipout torque and torque based decel to 0, otherwise it will still enable it

Where is that scalar to disable DFCO? Please see my attachments. Did I point the correct ones for tipout torque and torque based decel? Thanks so much for helping me!

DFCO disable.jpg

torque set.jpg

Edited by Loki

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Where is that scalar to disable DFCO? Please see my attachments. Did I point the correct ones for tipout torque and torque based decel? Thanks so much for helping me!

DFCO disable.jpg

torque set.jpg

We have tipout torque setting in another table as well Torque Other cut limits (requestor) Do we need to zero that one too? Or just the Spark Torque Ratio limits?

torque set.jpg

Edited by Loki

12 hours ago, richardpalinkas said:

Should hear a noticable difference when its enabled vs disabled. 

Hi,

I did everything you showed here. I got DFCO disabled and confirmed. However I can hardly hear any crackles when decel from 3k up. I got decel spark as a wave 0-5-0-5. Maybe that was the bad idea. I will try again later with all RPM cells set at 5 or 3 degrees. I did try though 1750-3000RPM with -10 degree in BKT and I got some crackles even though they are really faint. I thought I am going at the right track but what else to make the crackles louder? lol. Why it is so hard to it with ZF transmission? The car in videos shown above is manual transmission and it sounds so good - similar to Audi and Golf R

7 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

So both mufflers are stock? That would explain why it is quiet. 

I got pop - loud pop but not crackles. I still believe in my custom made exhaust can produce crackles with I tickle the right place. It is quiet under 1500RPM but it roars above 2000rpm.

I might be wrong but still hope its not the exhaust restriction ?

2 minutes ago, gelousi said:

I set it to 20sec so after then injectors can be disabled 

How does it time 20 sec? From the time to let go of the pedal - every single time? Again, do we disable CFC like auF0148=0 not 255? Or just leave CFC on and change auF0151=20?

On 12/6/2018 at 9:12 AM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Run more timing then. I found 10 to 12 degrees best on 98 octane

This is correct!!! I originally found 10 degrees gave the best pop on decel. Then I got carried away from other posts and I failed when using 5 degree or lower. 98 octane only works around 10 degrees on decel spark. Now I just got the crackles with 10 degrees even in Park/Neutral. Wohooooooo.... so awesome. My custom exhaust has no issue whatsoever lol. It was the decel spark and torque management. I am so grateful to Richard and Gelousi and most of all Roland who always finds time to help anyone in needs. Now I am a happy man.

To sum it up, for octane 98 do not go lower than 9 degrees on Decel spark table. Tip-out and Decel must be zero. You do not need to disable DFCO for FGX model, just try CFC delay extended to 3-5 secs; Every things else in Coasting Fuel Cut off just left at default. As Roland said you need hi-flow cat or CATless and hiflow pipe (mine is 4") to produce the crackles and pops. This is just my finding from my car setup FGX ZF trans.

Cheers everyone

• Like 3