Crackle and pop like Audi RS3 Golf R or Focus turbo

Loki

28 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

So to summarise.

Set CFC delay to at least 5 seconds.

98 octane use a timing value of ~10-14

E85 you can go much lower.

Those of you running much lower timing are you all on e85?

I found -15 deg would give me noise on e85 but was only quick testsĀ 

My final settings for Park/Neutral crackles with ZF transmission. It provides great crackles. It only work best with wave of sparks in BKT. It did not work properly with constant spark over the range of RPM as you see in the photo. You have to lean out mixture in the Fuel map too to enhance the crackles or there are only burbles when it is rich. My 5 years old son worked with me for hours to achieve this. He got tired of REVing the engine in the end lol since I had to be hearing at the back of the car.

Cheers

Crackles Neutral-Park.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Romulus said:

Yep, got it. I tried this mod with my Territory, while it does work, the Manta twin 2.5" does such a great job the crackle is almost non existent, even with -5 degrees ignition timing on decel.

Did you try change spark and torque cut to 0 as posted in previous page?Ā 

Just now, gelousi said:

Thatā€™s a pain how much decel timing ?

I tried different values - between -15 to +5. It's not that effective anyway with my vehicle, I don't have the range of gears to go through with the 4 speed auto. When you lift off the throttle the rpm drops fairly quickly to under 2000rpm as the torque converter doesn't stay locked like it does in the ZF.

Just now, Romulus said:

I tried different values - between -15 to +5. It's not that effective anyway with my vehicle, I don't have the range of gears to go through with the 4 speed auto. When you lift off the throttle the rpm drops fairly quickly to under 2000rpm as the torque converter doesn't stay locked like it does in the ZF.

Ahhh yeah that sucks e85 Iā€™m guessing?Ā 

7 minutes ago, gelousi said:

Ahhh yeah that sucks e85 Iā€™m guessing?Ā 

Nope, just 98 octane. Im not much for disabling spark and torque cuts, they're there for a reason i.e. to stop the BTR from burning itself out during gearshifts. I like the fact I've got the PCM to make a similar exhaust note during gearshift as the FG turbo. I've got a built BTR going in the vehicle the next few weeks, it's going to have to deal with 400-500rwkw depending on fuel type. The trans wont live with torque management zeroed.

39 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Care to detail how you got the BTR to fart?Ā 

Not publicly, getting correctĀ calibration settings for the BTR is next to impossible, in fact I'd go so far to say that it's almost non existent. Having looked through all the SCT files going back to 2005 no one's nailed the correct settings,Ā  most BTR's failĀ over 280-300rwkw in stock guise, the built ones still destroy clutches and bands. Tuners gave up, theĀ typical comment is the BTR is crap, go get a ZF.

That said, the stock BTR in my Territory is about to fail, I can hear rumbling noise in 1st gear. Hopefully the built trans will arrive tomorrow, fit up by the end of the week.

Edited by Romulus

I had found out the pop and crackles only happened with low ECT or on cold start. Damn close to get what I want. I got crackles when decel from a hard pull up to 5000rpm other than that it just mute. The Audi and Golf R can get crackles whenever they let go of the pedal. They said some thing about cam timing as well to achieve that, some even mention VE modifications. lol it is not that simple?

21 minutes ago, Loki said:

I had found out the pop and crackles only happened with low ECT or on cold start. Damn close to get what I want. I got crackles when decel from a hard pull up to 5000rpm other than that it just mute. The Audi and Golf R can get crackles whenever they let go of the pedal. They said some thing about cam timing as well to achieve that, some even mention VE modifications. lol it is not that simple?

Sounds like your DFCO is still not disabled. Does it disappear entirely when the engine is hot? Eg completely silent? A good way to test is coast down a long steep hill and check if your L/100km drops to 0 or not.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:55 AM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Sounds like your DFCO is still not disabled. Does it disappear entirely when the engine is hot? Eg completely silent? A good way to test is coast down a long steep hill and check if your L/100km drops to 0 or not.

Takes 5 seconds to get down to 0 is that not long enough? I know now it is something to do with fuel. Cold start it is richer for decel. After cold start decel fuel is leaner than lambda 1?

On 1/1/2019 at 5:43 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Cold start will command 1.05 lambda during a short window, you should datalog when it works and replicate this on the non cold start fuel maps.

i got my Decel pop and crackles working fine - Had the AMG shocked running with me today lol. However, the neutral crackles (ZF trans) only works at cold start (ECT less than 40 Celsius).

I am so close to Neutral pop and crackles. Please tell me where to tackle. I am sure something to do with AFR but do know how to get lean decel AFR in Park/Neutral after the car had warmed up to temp (82C)

Which table, scalar to change for neutral decel AFR to be lean?

FYI you only need to set the fuel cut off timer.

auF1265 "Minimum DFSO time delay seconds" set this to something like 8 second. You don't need to mess with any other scalars or tables to disable decel fuel shut off. This parameter is only available in pro and above.

If you change this to a large number you should get pops/cracks in all decel conditions until the timer is elapsed. Personally I set it to 8 seconds so if I'm coasting down the free way I don't waste fuel.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

recently did a track day and people were commenting on another barras decel pop, so i asked the guy and he said his tuner set 10deg on decel.

i had a quick play with mine and for the video had the higher rpm set to -2

I could notice it at 10, at -2 it was verry noticable...i ended up leaving it at 6 and it was fine for me....this was straight thro exhaust and e85.

Ā 

after reading the antilag thread i might try and give the 2-3k range bulk fuel and max spark clip to see it it helps spool the turbo, might be a while before i see the track again for testing tho.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 9/27/2018 at 2:27 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

NA cars will always crackle and pop far more than a turbo due to the turbo muffling the sound but you can still do it on a turbo.

The method to do it is via the decel spark and low load fueling. There is another thread about flames which discusses these maps. Eg if you set the decel spark to 0 degrees you will massively deafening backfires on deceleration. I tried it and it was extremely loud and very obnoxious.

You need to disable DFCO as well by settingĀ auF1265 "Minimum DFSO time delay seconds" to something like 8+ seconds (after 8seconds of decelĀ it will shut off fuel). Note this parameter is only available in Professional and above.

Try this for some muffler destruction. You will probably destroy the baffles in your muffler if you ran this for an extended period of time.

image.png.7ca5a9345567112f394084f86ba4b082.png

hey is this method just for turbo or can it also be applied to fg n/a