HOWTO: ZF Transmission maps

Roland@pcmtec

Here is the 1st to 2nd and 2nd to first shifts pressures explained. From here you should be able to work out the rest of the gears. To speed up the shift time you increase the shift pressure. You would normally only change the disengage (also know as off going) pressure if a gearbox has been build poorly and has trouble disengaging the gears.

This guide is a draft, please do not take it as a gospel.

UPSHIFT
ZF00567 Shift pressure 12
Pressure applied to 1st gear clutch to disengage 1st gear on upshift

ZF00603
Shift pressure tables 12
Pressure applied to 2nd gear clutch to engage 2nd gear on upshift

ZF00623

Shift pressure tables 12
"Pressure applied to 2nd gear clutch to engage 2nd gear on upshift in performance mode

Shift Pressure offset 12 ZF01446

This is an offset to the pressure based on temperature. Eg if you want to firm up shifts at certain temperatures you would increase this pressure.

DOWNSHIFT
ZF00605
Shift pressure tables 21
"Pressure applied to 1st gear clutch to engage 1st gear on downshift"

ZF00569
Shift pressure off-going clutch 21
"Pressure applied to 2nd gear clutch to disengage 2nd gear on downshift"

ZF00633
Shift Pressure 21
Pressure applied to 2nd gear clutch to disengage 2nd gear on downshift in performance mode

Here is a tree diagram (we are looking to add this into the editor to simplify things) which may help explain which tables do what

image.png.10cc9b0c3d25f0fb024e9573d50dff6d.png

Line Pressure

ZF00739

Line Pressure 1st gear

This is the pressure applied once in gear to keep it in gear. If the gearbox is flaring or slipping (you can log the transmission slip %) then you would increase this pressure.

Note that you can very quickly destroy a gearbox by changing these pressures too high or too low. Be careful.

edit: Where you see "reduced downshift" or "reduced upshift" this is apparently performance mode shifting (I do not have a ZF to confirm this on). Looking at the increased shift pressures in these maps this makes sense.

Update: This is as good a place as any.

To increase the ZF rev limit changed the two following scalars

ZF02463: Engine Speed threshold for NMOT monitoring

ZF04094: Upper turbine speed threshold

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, will15 said:

Is there a general rule of thumb anyone is using here with stock box’s. Say like a 10% increase on line pressure?.

Giving out figures is a good way to blow up boxes. You need to take into account clutch pack wear and how the adaptive learning has learnt to change the shift pressure. People spent thousands of dollars and many years experimenting with these boxes, there is not a simple one fit all solution. Try comparing the f6 or v8 sprint stuff to a bog stock NA for some ideas. 

My tip for a starting to play with a car with a zf would be to leave the line pressures alone and look at the tables mentioned above by Roland and just increase the pressures bit by bit and you’ll notice a difference, huge changes aren’t really needed.

I’d be looking at making your changes in the higher load side of things rather than the lower load areas. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I am looking at gearbox options. can I fit a 6 or 8 speed gearbox in a car that was a manual what inputs are required and can they be programmed out or amended. I read something about the speed sensor pickup was through the abs computer but could be swapped to the shaft sensor ?

any help or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated 

kind regards

mark

• 4 months later...

Hi Roland,

Just picking up this thread again.  In your first post :

UPSHIFT
ZF00567 Shift pressure 12
Pressure applied to 1st gear clutch to disengage 1st gear on upshift

ZF00603
Shift pressure tables 12
Pressure applied to 2nd gear clutch to engage 2nd gear on upshift

ZF00567 suggests that a slight pressure is applied to gear 1 whilst more pressure is applied to gear 2 (ZF00603).  I have noticed ZF00567 has values about 30-40% of ZF00603.  This I assume is to aid in a smooth transfer from one clutch to another.  Is this how you read it?

milan

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:07 PM, BeerTurbo said:

why would you need the TCC unlocked?

Hi beerturbo, I have a built trans (ZF) ive also modified the stator for a looser convertor , laggyish turbo too (g35/1050) , i just find it drives around the street so much smoother without the tcc.. However im all about it in 5&6th cruising.

Cheers

7 hours ago, overlap said:

Hi beerturbo, I have a built trans (ZF) ive also modified the stator for a looser convertor , laggyish turbo too (g35/1050) , i just find it drives around the street so much smoother without the tcc.. However im all about it in 5&6th cruising.

Cheers

Ta.

I have a na+t, in a r31 .. so its still got na tc and i skid it, so i was worried about heat.

Given the cars light with 3.89 diff the barra makes enough power without the tcc slipping.

The other day i put the manshift tcc map into all of the variables and tbh it seems fine, thus far.

On 10/2/2022 at 11:48 PM, BeerTurbo said:

Ta.

I have a na+t, in a r31 .. so its still got na tc and i skid it, so i was worried about heat.

Given the cars light with 3.89 diff the barra makes enough power without the tcc slipping.

The other day i put the manshift tcc map into all of the variables and tbh it seems fine, thus far.

they are an awesome trans! just been upping my pressures and upshift pressures today, haltech pcm but love the control with pcmtec for trans tuning. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Those 2 pictures literally show you where it is. Open the program and have a look for it, it'll be near the bottom. Also Dave will have already put a tune in the trans, so you shouldn't have to change anything.

I don't recommend playing with transmission settings if you don't know what you're doing. To be the ever helpful carnt that I am tho, go to those 2 tables, highlight the whole lot and change it all to 8000. Most of it will stick and a bunch of it in 5th and 6th gear won't change. This will make the converter unlocked all of the time through the first 4 gears and only lock up in 5th and 6th gear while cruising.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Puffwagon said:

Yep that's right. It'll all be 8000 when you initially do it, but if you click off the table and back to it, you'll see that the 5th and 6th gear has partially reverted.

ok thanks  ill give it a try this week  

🙂

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:27 PM, Puffwagon said:

Yep that's right. It'll all be 8000 when you initially do it, but if you click off the table and back to it, you'll see that the 5th and 6th gear has partially reverted.

What do you mean by this? It's not saving the last two columns? Or it's rounding the values down? 

4 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

What do you mean by this? It's not saving the last two columns? Or it's rounding the values down? 

I just tried it again and it's not doing it, although I checked it before I made the post the other night. Maybe I'm a complete dumbass and wasn't highlighting the whole table? At any rate, due to me not being able to replicate it, I would advise against doing it.

A better thing to do would be to leave 5th and 6th stock and unlock the rest of the table.

I set the na+t and my teritory converter maps to match the performance mode.

I figured on the na+t if its locked more it would create less heat? plus with 3.9 gears it dosent need help with tourque.

The territory used to rev hunt on the freeway and i thought the gearbox was dying. but if the converters locked it stays solid. I think maybe the converter needs replacing. so instead of replacing ti i leave it locked.

Edited by BeerTurbo
cant use the English language good