PCM OSIDs

nat

So I'm about to put a FG Mk1 N/A motor into my car - and was trying to determine which catchcode / OSID to end up using as the PCM I got with the motor is an APS-232 variant from a 5sp automatic FG (annoyingly there's no catchcode to determine the OSID on it and I'm still to finish the wiring so I can flash the ECU; but from what I can gather being an 8R29 code on the sticker it'll likely run HAEDJ or HAEDH); and since I'll be running a manual transmission instead of the automatic (which runs an APS-231 ecu) I've gotten a relatively decent selection of calibrations (and I'm aware it isn't even all of them! It was hard enough making this list already!)

image.png.d88ba0f2182f42958342be8edb617646.png

The strangest thing I find however; when I try different calibrations in PCMTec I end up getting for some calibrations more features/variables; whereas for others I find I get less!

For example, on the left below is what's I see in the coasting cut offs on HAEDHC3; whereas on the right is what I can see on HAEE3F3 - a lot less in this section for example. Other sections do have a few differences as well - I'm curious if this is something that either:

Is there functionality missing from the different calibrations (Note I have fiddled with both turning on and off viewing workshop/professional features and it stays the same, as I'm running Professional) / e.g. would I be best off flashing the calibration that looks like it has more options? (Or am I completely bound per the OSID that will be on this ECU that I currently have? I'm not too sure how different OSIDs particularly work!)

Or is there possibly some way to compare what different calibrations have different settings? As the compare mode of course only compares differences in maps that are common to both.

image.thumb.png.661fc311f0e97a836f428f6da8bf5675.pngimage.png.972852ad5932cbbb9b2c15cba0f3e90e.png

Edited by nat

Hi Nat, 

Re:

7 hours ago, nat said:

as the PCM I got with the motor is an APS-232 variant from a 5sp automatic FG

That PCM should allow you to select a turbocharged calibration as well. I believe the 5 speeds have the the extra pins that support the boost sensor and wastegate solenoid control.

7 hours ago, nat said:

The strangest thing I find however; when I try different calibrations in PCMTec I end up getting for some calibrations more features/variables; whereas for others I find I get less!

Correct, every Ford calibration has a different number of calibration entries. Taking your example HAEDH is an example with the 5R55 5 spped automatic in it and the PCM controls the calibration (just like the earlier BA/BF PCMs controlled the BTR 4 Speed). It has a huge selection of parameter (over 6500) for this reason. Moving onto HAEE3 then Ford removed support of the 5R55 and dropped the number of parameters to just over 4000.

8 hours ago, nat said:

For example, on the left below is what's I see in the coasting cut offs on HAEDHC3; whereas on the right is what I can see on HAEE3F3 - a lot less in this section for example. Other sections do have a few differences as well - I'm curious if this is something that either:

Is there functionality missing from the different calibrations (Note I have fiddled with both turning on and off viewing workshop/professional features and it stays the same, as I'm running Professional) / e.g. would I be best off flashing the calibration that looks like it has more options? (Or am I completely bound per the OSID that will be on this ECU that I currently have? I'm not too sure how different OSIDs particularly work!)

Good example! Take for instance CFC Torque Off Rate. In HAEDH it is indeed a scalar as shown, in HAEE3 it is not in the calibration as a scalar and its closest match is now a table with Gear and Cylinder Head temperature (so possibly Ford decided to change the way they use that value). 

8 hours ago, nat said:

Or is there possibly some way to compare what different calibrations have different settings? As the compare mode of course only compares differences in maps that are common to both.

We will discuss this and see if there is a way this could be done.

As a suggestion the next best strategy for this PCM is HAEE4 and I would look at it as the strategy to use. It seems to work very well in the MK1s and does not have the 5 Speed code and it also gives you more options for table resize etc with a custom OS as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply Darryl!

Interesting that the PCM I have may have the inputs connected internally for boosted applications - one day I'll find out as the plan is to sort out setting up the whole turbo kit on this engine.

That makes sense now about why the different OSIDs I've tried all are varying differences! Bit easier to grasp now.

When it comes to all the OSIDs I'm aware of for the FG MK1 these are all I've found; (I had been using the old Ford IDS calibration CD list from 2012); however all I know of for HAEE4 and HAEE5 are of PCM type APS-234 (which means they are all turbo logic by default etc) - since I don't have a specific N/A strategy code for either of these two would you just recommend choosing any of the strategies (i.e. HAEE4A3 or HAEE5C4) and then changing parameters to disable turbo logic (and move over the maps for timing and fuel etc)?

image.png.0615c6172af5583a4f2ec5dd1e99537e.png

Another question I've got - with some of the descriptions of system switches etc are cut off; I guess the whole description just does not exist?

image.thumb.png.269098be7b8a1ab14d8dfde508f7e4d0.png

Thanks again!!

1 hour ago, nat said:

When it comes to all the OSIDs I'm aware of for the FG MK1 these are all I've found; (I had been using the old Ford IDS calibration CD list from 2012); however all I know of for HAEE4 and HAEE5 are of PCM type APS-234 (which means they are all turbo logic by default etc) - since I don't have a specific N/A strategy code for either of these two would you just recommend choosing any of the strategies (i.e. HAEE4A3 or HAEE5C4) and then changing parameters to disable turbo logic (and move over the maps for timing and fuel etc)

So APS-232 we have as only being used in cars fitted with the 5R55 automatic. Strategies HAEDA, HAEDD, HAEDH and  HAEDJ .

So moving onto the new strategy I have the following list of cars from HAEE4 with Manual (all turbos):

image.thumb.png.f2b9b06daa6169ec6e9fa2d90c22c677.png

And then, like you say, turn off turbo logic and change the boost sensor to be not fitted.

Getting this to work with you existing keys etc will require something like IDS or Forscan perhaps.

1 hour ago, nat said:

Another question I've got - with some of the descriptions of system switches etc are cut off; I guess the whole description just does not exist?

image.thumb.png.269098be7b8a1ab14d8dfde508f7e4d0.png

We are working on this for the next release of the editor with literally 1000s of these being updated, stay tuned :) 

Had a crack at porting all the N/A stuff over to the HAEE4 calibration (from HAEE3) and it looks like I should be all set for when this is all to go together now (got access to IDS so that's all going to be a breeze!) - thanks again for your assistance on this one!

8 hours ago, Darryl@pcmtec said:

We are working on this for the next release of the editor with literally 1000s of these being updated, stay tuned :) 

Now this is some great news!! You guys never stop delivering - great work as usual!

11 hours ago, nat said:

Now this is some great news!! You guys never stop delivering - great work as usual!

As there were ~20,000 of them it was not possible to do by hand. So we have someone working on automating improving and fixing the descriptions and spelling errors. The bulk of it is done, now we need to review the automation and merge it into the software.

• Like 2