Overboost on FGMk2 XR6 turbo

abs351

Hi Team,

New member to PCMTECH & tuning of such ECU's and rather support local team then off shore ( HP tuner). Car is a 2013 FG XR6 MK2 turbo following strategy  HAEK4MF.HEX / BBMF.

Running PCMtech version 0.74.

Car is in stock trim and i thought i would like to start increasing power in increments along with learning the PCMtech layout. i have adjusted my overboost auF0319 values by an extra 3 seconds compared to factory. Would this affect anything and increase performace?

I thought i would start of with something small and then review the option to increase boost to safe levels on stock trim. Is there a guide or scalars i need to be aware of to do such changes for boost increase. I would assume VE and timing will need to come into play for safe boost levels. Would the below link be the post be the one to follow.

Regards

Abs

FG-MK2-XR6-TRBO-Overboost-4sec-16-12-18.tec

Edited by abs351

I usually recommend people start off by comparing an XR6 Turbo and an F6 to see what they do in the factory. Sprint runs too much timing and is too rich (didn't have the development budget) so I don't recommend this one as a base. The common strategies are listed here 

https://forum.pcmtec.com/index.php?/topic/105-common-strategies-and-catchcodes/

Without a dyno or knock ears changing anything is always a gamble, as whilst the stock knock detection is pretty good it isn't perfect. I personally have road tuned my own car and it is going strong after several years, but this doesn't mean it is a good idea (It is a test car so I can afford to grenade the engine). With the stock knock detection it will detect severe knock eventually (pretty hard to put a hole in a piston unless you do really dumb things) however it often will miss mild knock which means over time you will damage the ringlands.

Hypothetically if I was going to experiment I would look at comparing the F6 and XR6T wastegate and desired boost tables, then compare the spark maps to see how much timing they run from factory.

Modifying overboost is definitely an easy way to improve performance, but make sure log that you are actually running extra boost and check what the timing and knock retard is doing. Even better if you can get someone to have a listen for knock.

Thanks for your valuable input, I would look at doing this as a comparison between XR6 turbo and F6. I would somewhat believe their compression are slightly different and this would alter their overall timing values. Irrespective, I will look at this regardless. Within the enthusiast mode, does it all to perform strategy comparisons? how can i get the TEC file for HAEDJG4 / B8GJ 4.0L FG F6 2008 Automatic is this possible?

In regards to the such variables which need to be reviewed can you kindly share the tables which I would need to look at? (AUFXXX)

In the past all my cars have been road tuned; and safe to say nothing blew up too..lol rotors, v8's turbo'd 4 ECU's was haltech & Microtech and jetting carbys... with a wide band.

I may invest in a knock control system to assist with detonation shortly. I would like to get back into the swing of things, but the ford late gen ECU's different all together.

Before i started, i took a back up of the original factory settings to allow me to revert back to stock if need be. Would this assumption be correct?

many thanks

16 hours ago, abs351 said:

Within the enthusiast mode, does it all to perform strategy comparisons? how can i get the TEC file for HAEDJG4 / B8GJ 4.0L FG F6 2008 Automatic is this possible?

You need the pro version to use the calibration wizard which will create stock files for you.

Regarding a compare I would compare the speed density tables (this will tell you if it has the same head/compression), the borderline knock and mbt spark tables.

Then check out the desired boost and openloop wastegate position.

Before i started, i took a back up of the original factory settings to allow me to revert back to stock if need be. Would this assumption be correct?

Yes this is always a good idea. You can also use the change history to view the differences to stock as well. Whenever you save over a file a backup is saved into my doc/pcmtec/version/backups as well.

• 1 month later...