Air load capping at 1.05 in NA + Turbo/Supercharger

Roland@pcmtec

Had an interesting support enquiry this week. An NA FG with a Raptor supercharger running 8-10psi.  The airload was capping at 1.05 causing all sorts of tuning issues, eg too much timing and fuel curve completely screwed once on boost.

The solution to this was the following scalars.

image.png.d02a3aa01ba7124b5573f18e5dfe68c5.png

auF0049 enables "Anticipation" mode where the PCM will anticipate the air flow. This logic also has a side effect of calculating the airload upper limit. If it is disabled the default upper airflow load is 1.05.

To fix the issue with the load we simply changed auF0049 to 1 and cylair max factor to 1, this meant the load increased from 1.05 to 1.7 which is what we expected for ~10psi

Just posting this up for reference if anyone else has the same problem when doing an NA + T or NA + Supercharged configuration.

I think the vehicle made roughly 220-230rwkw in the end with 10psi and 82°C intake temperatures (no intercooler). Intercooler or water meth would see a massive increase in power.

3 hours ago, Romulus said:

If it's running boost, was turbo logic enabled? AY3A calibration, for example, has auF0049 disabled, and that is a turbo calibration.

Yes even with turbo logic enabled it will cap at 1.05 load if you don't enable anticipation logic in that OSID. This was a HAEE3 OSID of which there was never a turbo variant made. HAEE4 was the next closest.

Yes Romulus I have turbo logic enabled. I am running a f1a procharger side mount super charger. I am using a3za which is a ba gt file and adapting it. I couldn't find a reference to air charge logic in the ba tunes that's why I was asking. 

Thanks scotty

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/3/2019 at 7:20 AM, scotty said:

Hi Roland just wondering if you could explain what the number in cylair max factor is doing.

Thanks scottu

Old post but I believe it is to do with the transient airflow calculation. Because the airflow rate of change is so fast it guesses or anticipates what the airflow will be in the next half second. This also enables some other magic that Ford use. Without spending a few hours on it I couldn't give you a better answer other than I believe needed for turbos or anything that can have very large changes in airflow in a short period of time. If you disable it then there must be other settings that limit the airflow but I never dug far enough to find them.

Thanks for that Roland. I see that you changed cylair max factor to 1.0 to achieve 1.7 airload capping for 10psi. I am looking at about 18 to 20 psi what to you think I should change cylair max factor to for this. Or is their a calculator to work this out. I believe 1.1 would be in the ballpark but I could be wrong. Thanks for all your help again.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Thanks for that Roland. I see that you changed cylair max factor to 1.0 to achieve 1.7 airload capping for 10psi. I am looking at about 18 to 20 psi what to you think I should change cylair max factor to for this. Or is their a calculator to work this out. I believe 1.1 would be in the ballpark but I could be wrong. Thanks for all your help again.

Have you compared to a turbo calibration?

auF0050 set to 0.9

auF0049 set to 0 (to disable anticipated are charge Logic)

These are the setting for HAEK4PE (FG F6 auto calibration)

• 1 year later...