Boost sensor fault codes

will15

What in the tune can cause boost sensor codes p0236 boost pressure sensor, p0238 boost sensor circuit high apart from over boosting which it’s not. We have tried a nother sensor, I know it could be wiring to. I was just wondering if some thing else tune wise can cause this, it had been tuned and running good for about 3 months  prior to the codes.

Edited by will15

Will, I would check the wiring first. If it is a BF I would also check the small plug (C) on the PCM as this coming loose can cause these sorts of errors as well.

Here is the workshop manual entry description of the error codes and what to do:

image.thumb.png.d6f40c2c6f0a9efa9ba4308a3fac1e58.png

Also check the maximum volts for the boost sensor (under Speed Density -> Scalars)

image.thumb.png.8ad54071217d5cf06c858294dc2efe87.png

• 3 years later...

@ Daryl, can you confirm what value should be used in boost Sensor Volts Max Value.

I have seen values of 5v , 16, 4.9 volts and stock 4.2v on variant cars.

If the voltage is increased this will stop the T-map pegging of the p0236 error? Reason i say i have seen a car with dump replaced and on heavy pedal; FG Turbo will go into limp mode and  p0236 appears AUF0511 was default value 4.2.

I've seen  tunes of which p0236 is Mil is disabled which is not ideal 

@ Will I have seen coil packs stuff with transmission shifting's and no error logs appear on scan tool or IDS, once change coil packs the trans shifted perfect. the car owner before me swapped the trans out as requested by his mechanic and still fault, he decided to sell the car due to frustrations and money pumped into the car. I fixed it with coil pack replacement. So yes Coil packs can do weird things. 

ABZ

Edited by abs351

On 7/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, abs351 said:

@ Daryl, can you confirm what value should be used in boost Sensor Volts Max Value.

I have seen values of 5v , 16, 4.9 volts and stock 4.2v on variant cars.

If the voltage is increased this will stop the T-map pegging of the p0236 error? Reason i say i have seen a car with dump replaced and on heavy pedal; FG Turbo will go into limp mode and  p0236 appears AUF0511 was default value 4.2.

I've seen  tunes of which p0236 is Mil is disabled which is not ideal 

@ Will I have seen coil packs stuff with transmission shifting's and no error logs appear on scan tool or IDS, once change coil packs the trans shifted perfect. the car owner before me swapped the trans out as requested by his mechanic and still fault, he decided to sell the car due to frustrations and money pumped into the car. I fixed it with coil pack replacement. So yes Coil packs can do weird things. 

ABZ

With respect to the max voltage setting for the boost sensor you will need to set it above 5.0V if you want to disable this safety feature. You can calculate what the pressure is but I seem to remember tha 4.2 volts on a standard sensor is a boost pressure of about 18psi. 

Regarding the coil packs, genuine work best. I know of quite a few ZF transmissions with broken input shafts due to the wrong coil pack being used. I had non genuine coil packs in my car once and the cuts they caused very extremely violent (genuinely scary) and I can see why they would break a transmission. I can't remember the error code that was thrown.

• Thanks 1