Tuning for ZF 3500 Stall converter

Hi, had a spare TCE laying around so put it into the Mrs TTG on the weekend for a bit of fun. Can hit 3000rpm while stationary now.   Has anyone had any experience with changing lock & unlock behaviors with higher stall converters? Most of what I've read when using other products there doesn't appear to be a way to fully lock or unlock when using the obvious tables. 

ZF Shift/Lock schedule are the tables you want to modify. There is another thread on here that discusses the different shift maps. Be aware if you are running the stock lockup it will likely break with increased slip rpm and increased power over stock.

Basically do not attempt to lock under high torque, either lock it at low torque and keep it locked or don't lock it at all. If you are running more torque than factory and it has not been modified be prepared to break it.

Also this is second hand information as I have not personally tuned a ZF before, so don't take it as gospel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, Turboidiot said:

Hi, had a spare TCE laying around so put it into the Mrs TTG on the weekend for a bit of fun. Can hit 3000rpm while stationary now.   Has anyone had any experience with changing lock & unlock behaviors with higher stall converters? Most of what I've read when using other products there doesn't appear to be a way to fully lock or unlock when using the obvious tables. 

Hey mate did you get a chance to have a play around with this? 

On 7/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, Turboidiot said:

I have set up a FG with 3000 stall TC.  As Roland stated don't lock up under hi torque.  I have set it up to lock in 2nd gear in the manual shift tables.  But we do have a 600HP engine behind meaning it wont bog down at early lock up.  We keep the TC locked pretty much until it idles down to 1st.

Haven't had a play yet other than a normal ZF tune for the torque, pressure & shift timing. Wanted to see how the car behaved with stock values and seems to be fine. I have noticed that the shifts are somewhat smoother (not as sporty) probably due to the additional slip characteristics of the converter. Will find some time to tune it with some more slip in first and lock on hard from there. Need to test a few lock/unlock options at the track.  

Excellent. If you leave the pressures the adaptive over 1000km will make it so smooth. Our 6r80 zf box in our ute changes gear and you wouldnt even know.  We keep normal shift pressures low. In reduced upshifts we up them 30% for some head slapping fun.  But a normal box will break shafts doing this.  

Milan