Max boost on stock MAP sensor

finnigan001

Feeling like a bit of noob here but having an issue with my car.  Trying to pin point it. I've narrowed it to either torque requestors or MAP sensor.

Having an issue that when i try target boost over 17psi or boost goes over 17-18psi i get what feels like a boost cut.  So originally i thought is was over boost but i disabled that. I've gone through most the traction control settings turning them off one by one.   Nothings has any effect so im thinking MAP sensor.  If i peg it 16psi i haven't really noticed the 'boost cut'.  Which leads me back to MAP sensor.

I think i've read somewhere at some stage the 2 bar MAP is 14psi vacuum and the rest boost which would make sense. Would going over this cause the affect above. A sort of boost cut?

Funny thing is i've never read about anyone changing there MAPs for running 20-23psi on E85.

HALP ?

So doing a little more trawling. I found the link below which is exactly the issue.  Everyone seems to be able to run higher.

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/83691-fg-map-sensor-is-it-1-bar-if-so-what-happens-if-you-go-over-1-bar/?tab=comments#comment-1352787

Is there something else at play here i'm missing. I notice there is a TMAPControl in the customOS and is set to TMAP switch to boost sensor after TMAP_Volts. I'm confused here. Thought the TMAP was the boost sensor??  Maybe there is some other setting i'm supposed to shut off?

Cheers guys

Finnigan,

The stock TMAP and Boost sensors for the turbo Falcon are rated to 255 Kpa. 100Kpa is atmospherics pressure so 155Kpa of boost or about 22.5psi. It is more likely you are exceeding the voltage limits for the boost and TMAP sensors which will cause the clip. Raise these to 5.0V and see if that resolves the issue:

image.thumb.png.4d39a8c8c900c20b13e6e6273417b19f.png

• Like 1

Something else you might like is we have "tmap switchover" logic in the custom operating system.  This means you can run a 4bar boost sensor with the stock TMAP sensor. Then at a given tmap voltage it will switch over to using the boost sensor for the speed density logic. This means you retain the factory tmap resolution down low, but you can run 30psi without pegging the load/air mass.

Remember that by setting the limit to 5v, you do lose some safety protection for overboost.

Hey Rolls,

Yeah i thought i had it setup properly but was still getting the cut.

In TMAPControl "TMAP Configuration" its set to switch to boost sensor after TMAP_Volts

auf100000 "Voltage to switch over" is 4.15

So maybe there is something not right with my original CustomOS or i'm missing another value somewhere to change(this is more likely :P)

Cheers

• 3 years later...
16 hours ago, JMSMotorsport said:

Wouldn’t setting it up that way mean it would use the Boost sensor not the TMAP? I guess next time I should change to a bigger boost sensor rather then tMAP and set up this way. 

That is the point of the logic, you switch over to using the 4 bar boost sensor just before you start pegging the TMAP sensor. You keep the stock TMAP and install a bigger boost sensor only, cheaper, simpler and less stuffing about. You also maintain the stock drivability of the standard calibrated TMAP, you can get good aftermarket TMAPs, but we have seen countless issues of them being installed wrong or having poor resolution at low kpa with certain brands/models.

I recommend the 4 bar boost sensor you can buy from IMS as they supply you with calibration data in a parameter file.

58 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

That is the point of the logic, you switch over to using the 4 bar boost sensor just before you start pegging the TMAP sensor. You keep the stock TMAP and install a bigger boost sensor only, cheaper, simpler and less stuffing about. You also maintain the stock drivability of the standard calibrated TMAP, you can get good aftermarket TMAPs, but we have seen countless issues of them being installed wrong or having poor resolution at low kpa with certain brands/models.

I recommend the 4 bar boost sensor you can buy from IMS as they supply you with calibration data in a parameter file.

Unfortunately already bought the 3 bar tMAP from IMS. I guess they should let me return it and swap for the 4 bar boost sensor. Is the factory boost sensor 2bar? Would that mean I could use the logic to just switch to the factory boost sensor if only running 22psi

Edited by JMSMotorsport

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, JMSMotorsport said:

Unfortunately already bought the 3 bar tMAP from IMS. I guess they should let me return it and swap for the 4 bar boost sensor. Is the factory boost sensor 2bar? Would that mean I could use the logic to just switch to the factory boost sensor if only running 22psi

stock turbo MAP is 2 bar, but it will read up to 250kpa apparently. something like 22psi. But you would want to look at replacing it if you were going near that value.