Zf tuning guide

will15

The principles are identical. We have everything mapped that they do plus a huge amount more. You would need to find the corresponding tables in our software etc however this wouldn't be very difficult. If you have trouble we can always assist.

They aren't teaching you how to use the software rather than teaching you the principles behind what to change and why. This will carry over to any software package you use.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, this might be a long shot but could you point me in the direction of the engine rev settings the ZF changes gear? Meaning is there a table that sets the rev point that the zf will change gears? I have an issue where when it changes into 3rd the revs drop too much, this is only at medium throttle  it's ok at wot.

Thanks, regards Steve 

Under "ZF Shift/Lockup Schedule" you will have all your shift pattern tables (there is a few of them), in these tables the figures are OSS (output shaft speed) and with some other information you should be able to figure out roughly what engine rpm it'll shift at for a certain OSS. 

However I don't think dropping revs between gear changes has much to do with these tables. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sam said:

Under "ZF Shift/Lockup Schedule" you will have all your shift pattern tables (there is a few of them), in these tables the figures are OSS (output shaft speed) and with some other information you should be able to figure out roughly what engine rpm it'll shift at for a certain OSS. 

However I don't think dropping revs between gear changes has much to do with these tables. 

Hi, ok if you care to explain sir, I'm all ears lol.

Also, it does seem worse going up a hill, and the throttle percentage is only nominal  as in speed limit of 60

Cheers

3 hours ago, fordsrule said:

Hi, this might be a long shot but could you point me in the direction of the engine rev settings the ZF changes gear? Meaning is there a table that sets the rev point that the zf will change gears? I have an issue where when it changes into 3rd the revs drop too much, this is only at medium throttle  it's ok at wot.

Thanks, regards Steve 

Do you mean it is clunking into gear? Or it is missing a gear completely?

Has it been previously tuned? Anything show up in your compare to stock?

27 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Do you mean it is clunking into gear? Or it is missing a gear completely?

Has it been previously tuned? Anything show up in your compare to stock?

No it doesn't clunk or miss or slip, it just drops too many revs as it goes into 3rd.

It's mostly obvious when going up hill front a standing start eg lights

1 hour ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

I'm not really sure what you mean by dropping too many revs. A datalog or a video would help. Also we really need to know if the ZF has been tuned or if it has been physically modified (rebuilt).

Well, for example changing from 1st to 2nd it might drop 200 revs  then changing inyon3rd it would drop more like 500revs (for example), therefore it loses speed.

I am under the understanding it has been tuned,  but to what I don't know.

It hasn't been rebuilt. 

I shall try a data log, the Forscan you guys talk about  do I need a license to do a scan with it?

What do you mean drops 500 revs? The rev drop is based on the gear ratio, its a mechanical connection so you can't change that.

Or do you mean it drops from say 3500 to 3000 rpm, but then when the gear engages the revs come back up to say 3200 rpm?

Do a compare to stock of the tune, you'll quickly see where it has/hasn't been tuned.

1 hour ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

What do you mean drops 500 revs? The rev drop is based on the gear ratio, its a mechanical connection so you can't change that.

Or do you mean it drops from say 3500 to 3000 rpm, but then when the gear engages the revs come back up to say 3200 rpm?

Do a compare to stock of the tune, you'll quickly see where it has/hasn't been tuned.

To be more specific, yes from 3500 to 3000 for example. No, after the gear engages the revs will start to climb again until it reaches the point at which it will go into 4th etc.

The accelerator position does not change very much.

Just so you know, when from a standing start, I press down on the accelerator more, not quite to the floor but more than half way, it picks up speed of course but at about 3000 - 3500 rpm it really begins to get up and go, right up to redline, then it changes to the next gear it'll do the same thing. It will get up to around 150 - 160 klm, and still has 2 more gears to go.

Now, do you think that the difference in performance at around 3000 - 3500 rpm is connected to the problem with the rev issue with the transmission?

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

3 hours ago, Sam said:

How many rpm does it drop from 2nd to 3rd and then what sort of rpm does it drop from 3rd to 4th? Are you able to data log the car so we can accurately see what sort of rpm it's dropping?  

Has the zf been tuned?

The drop in revs between 3rd to 4th to 5th to 6th is normal. The performance is great, it's just from 2nd to 3rd it tends to drop too many revs.

Yes I believe it has been tuned

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

I honestly don't understand what you mean by drop in revs. The difference in rpm between 2nd and 3rd gear is fixed based on your gear ratios, I don't really see how it can vary.

Sorry, 

As you watch the tachometer rise as the engine speed increases, the transmission changes into the next gear, let's say into 2nd. Then as the gear is engaged the revs will drop a certain amount, say 3200 rpm, with me so far?

Now the revs increase once again as it approaches changing into 3rd gear, instead of dropping 200 rpm as third engages, it would drop about 500 rpm.

So, as it reaches say 3500 rpm as we have said already, before changing to 3rd, it would drop to 3000 rpm instead of say 3300 rpm.

These numbers are for example of course.

I hope this has cleared it up for you, and thank you for helping.

Cheers

That's just the gear ratio mate and there's nothing reasonable to be done about that. 

As i mentioned before it sounds like it's changing from 2nd to 3rd and landing with the converter locked.

If this is the case then;

The only thing to mitigate the rpm difference is to make sure the converter is unlocked on the shift or unlocked at other parameters such as tps, oss etc.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fordsrule said:

Sorry, 

As you watch the tachometer rise as the engine speed increases, the transmission changes into the next gear, let's say into 2nd. Then as the gear is engaged the revs will drop a certain amount, say 3200 rpm, with me so far?

Now the revs increase once again as it approaches changing into 3rd gear, instead of dropping 200 rpm as third engages, it would drop about 500 rpm.

So, as it reaches say 3500 rpm as we have said already, before changing to 3rd, it would drop to 3000 rpm instead of say 3300 rpm.

These numbers are for example of course.

I hope this has cleared it up for you, and thank you for helping.

Cheers

That is just a factor of the gear ratios, they are fixed.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...