PCMTEC roadmap question

molch

Hi Pcmtec crew. Looking forward to testing out this product demo soon with an old tactrix cable I have laying around from my subaru tuning days. Two features I am really keen for and wanted to know where on the roadmap/estimated release time they might be?

1.) Data logging support.

• When is the first release scheduled?
  • What are the likely supported parameters?
  • Will we be able to log correct airmass?
  • Will it scan injector pulse widths and will it include deadtime?
  • Any other tricks or tools for general fuel / sd tuning?
  • Will there be a way to line up afr's from a wideband?

2.) Ngauge Support

• Will this ever be available to export tunes to an ngauge?

The data logging is probably the main thing holding me back at the moment from selling my current tuning tools and fully diving into the pcmtec tools.

10 minutes ago, molch said:

Hi Pcmtec crew. Looking forward to testing out this product demo soon with an old tactrix cable I have laying around from my subaru tuning days. Two features I am really keen for and wanted to know where on the roadmap/estimated release time they might be?

1.) Data logging support.

• When is the first release scheduled?
  • What are the likely supported parameters?
  • Will we be able to log correct airmass?
  • Will it scan injector pulse widths and will it include deadtime?
  • Any other tricks or tools for general fuel / sd tuning?
  • Will there be a way to line up afr's from a wideband?

2.) Ngauge Support

• Will this ever be available to export tunes to an ngauge?

The data logging is probably the main thing holding me back at the moment from selling my current tuning tools and fully diving into the pcmtec tools.

Hi Molch

When is the first release scheduled?

Only a rough estimate at the moment however middle of the year is what we are estimating.

What are the likely supported parameters?

Darryl has already done a lot of the mapping for the parameters. We aim to support the X and Y input of every single table and the Z output where possible. So each parameter will be named after the table the value is datalogged from with _X  _Y _Z etc. This will remove a lot of the guessing as you know exactly what you are datalogging.

Along with the above DMRs we will log all the final values for spark/airmass etc. 

We will also support all the standard PIDs etc, though these are often not exactly what you expect and lead to confusion when datalogging other products. Personally I don't think the PID logging is very useful compared to DMR logging.

Will we be able to log correct airmass?

As above. Yes.

Will it scan injector pulse widths and will it include deadtime?

Yes these sort of must haves we will do our best to include.

Basically if the PCM stores them in RAM we will add them into datalogging. Currently we have mapped roughly  ~6000 DMRs for HACCK and ~8000 DMRs for HAEDH the PCM. We will also build smaller sets of "useful" parameters, as most of these DMRs are not things you would normally want to log unless trying to diagnose a very specific problem.

Any other tricks or tools for general fuel / sd tuning?

In the future we want to add "Wizards" and various helpers for these things. Eg a visual graph with the injector deadline, low and high slope that you can drag around to visualize the impact on fueling they will have.

Will there be a way to line up afr's from a wideband?

We plan to allow datalogging any wideband that supports serial/usb logging providing we can get a loan cable. These logs would then be within the DMR log so no having to line up time stamps and frustrating things like that. This would most likely come in a future release.

Ngauge Support

There is no technical reason why not. Currently we are speaking to nGuage and are discussing getting access to do this. Due to their business model this would most likely involve a new PCMTEC nGauge and converting your HPTuners gauge, it would not be able to store both formats simultaneously (even though technically it would not be an issue). We aren't huge fans of this concept so the other option we are looking at is building an Android phone app that connects to the OpenPort cable to achieve similar functionality as the nGuage.

Lots of commercial opportunities in this space so we welcome any suggestions from others who may be able to assist.

Just now, molch said:

Awesome stuff, I am really looking forward to see this tool develop and supporting the local Aussies disrupting the aftermarket tuning industry. 

Thanks for the support!

Right now we are just concentrating on getting our sales to the point where we don't have to do any supplementary work. They are currently trending steadily upwards so it is looking promising. We have had 87 cars tuned with PCMTEC since October. Once we get a steady income we hope to be able to employ others to help take the load off us. Then Darryl and myself can concentrate on just pumping out code all day and move the focus off the day to day activities.

We both love programming and really enjoy this work, so far it still feels like a very enjoyable hobby which considering I've been programming for almost 10 years surprises even myself. A lot of people have said it felt like a job to them a long time before that.

End goal is to make this software better than the competition in all ways for the Australian market. Initially we would like to polish and perfect a smaller number of vehicles, rather than spread ourselves thin supporting lots of vehicles but not doing it so well. Other vehicles like GM and Subaru have great tuning platforms however it appears many still lack good software so plenty of room for us to innovate.