PCMTEC Forums
Whiteford

Conversions

Hey Guys, I do a few conversions (Auto > Manual, N/A > Turbo) and thought this info may be helpful to anyone interested in this type of thing.

There are many variables that effect the outcome of a conversion and not all can be predicted but here are some that I have encountered recently and the way to effectively deal with them for your customers.

It’s very important to understand that no single program can do all of this. You will be able to set some configurations with PCMTec however, as it was never designed for conversions some vehicles may require other software such as Ford IDS or Forscan.

I’ll focus on the most common conversion I see, Auto > Manual.

When converting from a 6spd ZF auto to a manual, it is important to note the engine wiring harness is different, obviously due to the necessity of the TCM in the auto. If the CAN bus is not bridged at connector C20, all CAN bus communication will be lost.

Once you have everything connected and communicating correctly, you may need to configure the PCM, ABS and IPC. In some circumstances, just configuring the PCM may be enough but some vehicle functionality may be lost such as Cruise Control.

The Parameters that is within PCMTec that can be utilized for an Auto > Manual conversion if you are using the original hardware and you are unable to install a manual OS (For Example HACCK with an ASU-222 PCM hardware) is as follows.

This parameter is used to determine if the vehicle is an automatic or not.

AUF1013.thumb.PNG.006411ab1bf6888100454acc7a3db48a.PNG

These two parameters are used to determine what transmission is fitted e.g. 4spd Auto, 5spd Auto, 6spd Auto, 5spd Manual and 6spd Manual.

AUF1625.thumb.PNG.ec43d24d27340b5a7ebbde0583ce5c63.PNG

AUF2240.thumb.PNG.01af853a3096bb2bf656821f8c956e40.PNG

And the VSS Source parameter.

VSS.PNG.b287b13a53f251c9d420c3d010dc687d.PNG

Some other important VID Block parameters are Axle Ratio, Tire Size and Wheel Base Inches.

All VID Block parameters need to be set for correct vehicle operation.

I am keen for you guys to add to this list if there are any I have missed.

If the vehicle hardware such as the ABS module are not designed to be used for the application, replacement with compatible hardware may be required for the vehicle to operate correctly. For example, an 7R29-2C405-AB ABS module cannot be used with a manual gearbox as the configuration simply is not available.

If you are fortunate enough to have access to the Ford IDS software, some ABS and IPC configuration is available.

Here are some ABS configurations (there are many more) and having this set correctly is imperative to the operation of the vehicle. Each model will have its own set of different configurations, imaged bellow is from a late model BF.

ABS1.thumb.PNG.f3516a1fa37fa4d10890790875c19983.PNG

And here we have the IPC configuration for the ABS module on an 2008 FG. Again, each model variant will have its own unique configuration.

1542208135_IPCABSConfig.thumb.PNG.4c8a18ad5544208b33d6efde32ce5f63.PNG

I would like to take a moment to thank the people involved with this work (you know who you are) and also thank the PCMtec team for their ongoing support.

• Like 5

Another beautiful and useful tool for conversions is the VID editor.

We will use a Differential swap as the example. If you come across a vehicle that has had a differential changed from 2.73 to 3.73, here are the parameters that will need to be changed to ensure the transmission operates correctly and speedo accuracy. The speedometer can be over 20kmh out when changing the differential ratio if these parameters are not changed.

First you will need to change AUF0394 to the correct ratio.

394.thumb.PNG.cc5f55256996cfe017c785ff8541801e.PNG

Second is within the VID Block Editing itself, here you will find the Axle Ratio. This needs to match AUF0394

axle.thumb.PNG.5a0c3745f2188183bef87d29534db0eb.PNG

Finally, within the VID Block Calibration Overrides there is AUF1706, AUF1699, AUF3137 and AUF2490. Again, these all need to match AUF0394 for the PCM to correctly calculate the wheel speed.

VID2.thumb.PNG.8c7d8a5c16d5421fcb603081ae084ca0.PNGVID3.thumb.PNG.606fcec15e2f1f1749e516aa0025f7a4.PNGVID4.thumb.PNG.d7597f6b167f09ada61a9a7279a4551b.PNGVID1.thumb.PNG.c59c03be53aa3f7c1bc78440f39fd857.PNG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Psythe, I am currently swapping my 5 speed auto to a 6 speed ZF. I really want to swap to a turbo ZF box instead as that way I will be ready for more power down the track (currently close to the limit of a NA ZF).  

I have LAP Auto Electrical Mechanical doing the conversion but they haven't swapped  a Turbo ZF box for the 5 speed NA yet.

Can I use the TCM and PCM from the turbo box by recalibrationg it as a NA or will I need to source a NA TCM and PCM and use that on the turbo ZF box?  Thanks in advance for your time and info.   Luke

Great info, I've done a swap from BTR to T56 on a BF NA. I really need the cruise to work. I've put all the ratios in correctly and the car drives beautifully.

The cruise worked when the car was auto. I installed the cruise setup out of a manual so it has a clutch switch and so forth now. There was no wire in the dash loom for the signal so I have run the wiring directly to the correct terminal on the PCM. Have checked the wiring and an earth signal gets there when the clutch pedal is depressed. When I view the data with Forscan though, it does not respond to movement of the pedal.

I only have the Professional version of PCMTEC but I can't find a parameter to have the PCM look for (or not look for) a clutch switch. I assume that the fact that there is no response to the pedal could be a reason the cruise will not set.

Does anyone have any insight? Is that parameter available in the Workshop version?

Thanks for any help.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:38 AM, Candeh said:

Great info, I've done a swap from BTR to T56 on a BF NA. I really need the cruise to work. I've put all the ratios in correctly and the car drives beautifully.

The cruise worked when the car was auto. I installed the cruise setup out of a manual so it has a clutch switch and so forth now. There was no wire in the dash loom for the signal so I have run the wiring directly to the correct terminal on the PCM. Have checked the wiring and an earth signal gets there when the clutch pedal is depressed. When I view the data with Forscan though, it does not respond to movement of the pedal.

I only have the Professional version of PCMTEC but I can't find a parameter to have the PCM look for (or not look for) a clutch switch. I assume that the fact that there is no response to the pedal could be a reason the cruise will not set.

Does anyone have any insight? Is that parameter available in the Workshop version?

Thanks for any help.

Log CINN_FLAG in the datalogger. A value of 1 means the clutch is out, eg you are in gear driving. A value of 0 means you have the clutch in.

Log CPP_TRANSITIONS to see how many times the clutch has been pushed in since the engine was started.

Edit: These are both workshop parameters.  They are listed under "Workshop DMRs" and there are a few thousand uncategorised parameters in here in the workshop edition.

Thanks heaps for getting back to me Roland, I'll pursue those with someone that has the Workshop version.

So I assume that somewhere in those parameters is also the ability to turn on and off the clutch switch input?

Viewing the behaviour of the switch through Forscan this car does not respond to the switch whereas in the same parameter on Forscan the movement of the pedal is shown if I connect to another BF I have here which is factory manual.

We just added CINN to the pro version of the datalogger, update should be available soon.

You cannot turn off the clutch switch input, basically your best bet is to just tie it high (or low I forget) so its as if the clutch is always out.

If it isn't responding then it either isn't wired in correctly or the vehicle is still setup as an automatic.

Thanks Roland, I'll have to try and work that side out. The data display is suggesting that the pedal is always out anyway so maybe the problem isn't even with the clutch pedal.

I very much appreciate your help. Thanks again.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, Whiteford said:

Another beautiful and useful tool for conversions is the VID editor.

We will use a Differential swap as the example. If you come across a vehicle that has had a differential changed from 2.73 to 3.73, here are the parameters that will need to be changed to ensure the transmission operates correctly and speedo accuracy. The speedometer can be over 20kmh out when changing the differential ratio if these parameters are not changed.

First you will need to change AUF0394 to the correct ratio.

394.thumb.PNG.cc5f55256996cfe017c785ff8541801e.PNG

Second is within the VID Block Editing itself, here you will find the Axle Ratio. This needs to match AUF0394

axle.thumb.PNG.5a0c3745f2188183bef87d29534db0eb.PNG

Finally, within the VID Block Calibration Overrides there is AUF1706, AUF1699, AUF3137 and AUF2490. Again, these all need to match AUF0394 for the PCM to correctly calculate the wheel speed.

VID2.thumb.PNG.8c7d8a5c16d5421fcb603081ae084ca0.PNGVID3.thumb.PNG.606fcec15e2f1f1749e516aa0025f7a4.PNGVID4.thumb.PNG.d7597f6b167f09ada61a9a7279a4551b.PNGVID1.thumb.PNG.c59c03be53aa3f7c1bc78440f39fd857.PNG

Hi, so this is for changing the diff ratio in say my 09 fg xr6t? 
Because as you have stated the speedo is out 20kmh as  I changed the diff gears from 2.73 to 3.46 

also will it damage the transmission by not    Doing anything about it 

Just interested to know why is the axle ratio 63.9990234? within the VID block.

Is this just a default value and needs to be changed?

That is the maximum number and translates to 0xFF in hex. It means the value has never been set and your VID block is likely blank/wiped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superb said:

Thanks @Roland@pcmtec I already imported my VID in the converion wizard.

Was just interested to know

If there rest of your VID block is valid and the VID block is actually enabled (it is not always) then you definitely want to update the value.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

If there rest of your VID block is valid and the VID block is actually enabled (it is not always) then you definitely want to update the value.

Thanks Roland all is good as far as I know, I have not touched it since my initial read.

All I have done is enabled it, as you said it was disabled.

VID block.png