ZF 2-3 shift on light throttle

darcati

Need to pick the forum members brains on a ZF issue i have with my built ZF.

When it does the 2-3 shift in drive on light throttle at around 2000rpm it lets go of 2nd revs rise briefly before 3rd comes on rather than being quick and smooth.

It feels like the delay between 2nd letting go 3rd engaging is too long BUT changes below 1500rpm and above 3000rpm are fine.

Being new to this I'm not sure if I should I be adjusting off/on going pressures and where would these changes be done?

Appreciate any help in advance.

On 1/28/2019 at 2:35 PM, darcati said:

Need to pick the forum members brains on a ZF issue i have with my built ZF.

When it does the 2-3 shift in drive on light throttle at around 2000rpm it lets go of 2nd revs rise briefly before 3rd comes on rather than being quick and smooth.

It feels like the delay between 2nd letting go 3rd engaging is too long BUT changes below 1500rpm and above 3000rpm are fine.

Being new to this I'm not sure if I should I be adjusting off/on going pressures and where would these changes be done?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Provided your transmission settings are standard copy the torque converter settings (yes torque converter settings) from a standard sprint tune and try that, it helped mine.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Post up a tune and log man, I'm keen to try and help out. Still learning the ZF's so may end up being hopeless to you. Presume box is in good nick? Give us a bit of info of what's been done. 

Create a new log layout with just the following channels. Less channels to make it log fast as possible. 

RPM
Throttle Position
Current Transmission Gear
ID Of Used Shift Pattern
Difference speed to synchronous speed
Nominal value TCC speed difference (value)
Pressure, on-coming clutch
Transmission Input Shaft (Turbine) Speed 
Nominal value of the CRC slip time
Pressure, off-going clutch
Shift Pattern Throttle Input Value
Transmission Oil Temperature
TCC Pressure
Flywheel Torque
Transmission Output Shaft Speed
Current Line Pressure

It’s an fg na+t,the problem only started after the tune I got,it was doing it in all shifts but I upped the shit pressures 25% and it solved the problem in all other shifts besides the 2-3. it shifts out of 2nd firm and then is like someone very slowly double clutching in a manual and then slams into 3rd,I’ve been talking to the tuner and he’s got no idea what could be causing it,I’ll chuck up a copy of the tune and do a log and chuck that up aswel 2morro arvo

• 7 months later...

Looks to be related to clutch fill control. It appears to be a mode that can be tuned, adapted and switched on and off, based off a quick look at my personal tcm file.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s42154-018-0031-y#Sec11

Also auF12503 seems to point to the actual acronym being cyclic redundancy check.

I could be miles off tho 🙃

Edited by Puffwagon

12 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

The context its used in implies clutch something something

I found some info where CRC refers to Torque converter "clutch release clearance" (CRC). Clutch-Release Clearance 101 - Transmission Digest

Changing the nominal slip time characteristics for upshifts and downshifts CRC, increases or decreases ms of slip time. I think @Puffwagon is on the right track as the time taken to apply the clutches would be a direct result of increasing or decreasing CRC nominal slip time. Increased time to apply will result in increased CRC for a longer duration, even though we are only talking ms. Decreasing CRC nominal slip time would result in a shorter time to apply the clutches & less slip time.

Happy to have input or opinions on my interpretation.

• Like 2

Just having a read through stuff today, you pretty much need to know how a transmission is built and operated as well as understand the patents for operation etc to get a firm grasp on what some of the more obscure parameters in a tune represent. I also wonder if some of the acronyms are in German, in which case we're pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

I found that searching the acronyms in the navigator came up with some interesting stuff, also search slipping and adaptation for more interesting things. There is a lot of stuff that ties in together, it's like a goddamn rabbit hole once you get started 😅O.o

Sonnax has some good info about the zf and 6r80 as well.

Accelerator pedal position = DKI

The accelerator pedal gradient = DKIG

NIC = neutral idle control

CT = turbine, possibly ZF is referring to turbine as CTT in the tune?

"CRC shift" is used as a noun in the tune. This might be a shift when the tcc is partially locked or unlocked?

"CTT shift" is also used as a noun in the tune. This might be a shift when the tcc is fully locked?

Clutch area in cm3 is ZF00207. This might change things when you increase the area of the clutch packs?

Anyhow I've had enough of that for today.

Edited by Puffwagon
Moved some punctuation
  • Like 3