HOWTO: Install FGX XR6 Sprint calibration into MK 2 XR6 Turbo

Prerequisites:

1. PCMTec Professional or Workshop Version
  2. Your existing FG Mark II Automatic (ZF 6 Speed)
  3. Tec file from car read, can be unlicensed. This is for the VIN and VID blocks so the file can be licensed for your vehicle

Basic checks to verify the calibration can be merged (does not guarantee it will work):

1. Generate your stock file 
  2. Generate Stock file for the FGX XR6 Sprint (HAER1UB).
  3. Verify your Injectors and ZF Diff Ratio are the same.

Three Steps will be described.

1. Step 1 will validate that the vehicle is capable of taking the Spring tune in its entirety
  2. Step 2 will merge the calibration with the vehicle information you have obtained by reading the calibration from the car
  3. Step 3 is an option step for those wishing only to flash the ZF transmission with the Sprint ZF calibration.

Step 1

Our example calibration is HAEJ2PZ

Lets get the stock files and save them away:

Open the PCMTec Editor and select from the "Calibration Tools" Menu "Create Stock File/Calibration Merge". You will be presented with the following wizard:

image.thumb.png.c5716eeed30d1da48a972f1db5d63704.png

Click on the  "Create Stock File from Strategy or Catchcode button" and enter HAEJ2PZ as the Strategy to create the stock file from:

image.thumb.png.9df1d8ddf5133a794d9611f0718f76f3.png

and click "Create File". Let the editor do its magic and download the stock file calibration (including ZF) if they are not already downloaded. Then save the file away. Repeat for HAER1UB and save the file away.

Close the file and reopen HAEJ2PZ, click Compare/History and load the HAER1UB file you saved for compare. You will be asked:

image.thumb.png.4a51299fd85afa5a2157925239e379a9.png

You MUST answer No. Answering No will ensure you compare all the parameters between the two files, the output will look:

image.thumb.png.7c884facfaa61ce3bbafb44f9580af88.png

Notice that the Compare does not have any differences for the Fuel Injector settings, this means the injectors are the same in HAEJ2PZ as they are in HAER1UB. First test verified. Next scroll down in the compare window for the ZF parameters and Check ZF PMCTec System parameters and see if the "Ratio of Differential" is in the Compare Window:

image.thumb.png.319fa416b94d3610ca9d20fb9a7de8c9.png

It is the same and that means the ZF calibrations will not need altering after the copy over later. For the keen of eye there is one parameter shown there and that is the key for transmission swaps but that is another story.  

Now we have verified the strategy we can try the Calibration Swap. 

Step 2: Full Calibration merge.

This is the easy part, of you want to just flash the entire calibration into the car then you only need to merge the VID block and the VIN. Close any files open in the editor and open the PCMTec Editor and select from the "Calibration Tools" Menu "Create Stock File/Calibration Merge". Click on the "Manually Merge VID/Serial Number" button:

image.thumb.png.4fad9d383da4a352a7a5c498d12bc2d2.png

This screen will display:

image.thumb.png.4700a3e5778a3f1e730f093916f37067.png

It does not matter which way you merge the files but in this case I loaded the Sprint Calibration in File 1 and the tec file read from the vehicle on File 2:

image.thumb.png.3906f62d333cd2971a0217c2d0f1731e.png

Now in "File 1" click "Import VID Block from File 2" and "Import PCM Serial/VIN/TCM Serial from File 2". Once this has completed save the file. You will be asked if you want to license this file. You will need to do this if you want to flash the calibration into the car.

Step 3: Only merge ZF Sprint Calibration in your MK 11 FG.

A common request is to only change the ZF to the Sprint Calibration on an existing Licensed file. You will still need to verify the Ratio of Differential is the same. Open your exiting licensed file (HAEJ2PZ in this case) click "Compare/History" and load the HAER1UB stock file created earlier, answering No to the partial compare question. Scroll down the Compare tab until you see the ZF Parameters:

image.thumb.png.0abc94ce8de02c54f1cafce94579df4d.png

Select all the ZF parameters (cntrl-left mouse click will work):

image.thumb.png.f71d0a4281227566ef695e62751c81a6.png

Then Click the "Apply" button on the Compare Tab. This will apply all the parameters to the existing calibration and save it as a new tec file.

You can then use this saved file to flash the ZF calibration with the Sprint Calibration. 

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Roland, thanks for youe help; (Pardon the late reply) I did the same process as outlined within this guide for the Territory Ghia Turbo SY 2006 with utilzing the same process for an F6X and it all worked well besides a few changes needed as the car wouldnt start (Drive By Wire). 

Thanks for your help

• Like 1

Hi Team,

Has anyone managed to use a  FGX XR6 turbo sprint tune on a Mk2 FG XR6 turbo (HAEK4MF.HEX / BBMF)?

I have performed this but noticed the car wouldnt idel or run well; i did a compare and utilzed the fuel tables, injector scalers, speed density from the FG HAEK4MF strategy. Got the car to run and obsreve AFR's on boost the car AFRS are floating arond 13's. saying this i would assume I did a compare between HAER1UB & HAEK4MF noticed injector scalars are the same?  Does FGX Sprint has diffrent injectors and turbo to a FG Mk2 Xr6 Turbo?

What i also noticed was, if i just use the trans ER2G-7J105-EB.tec (SPRINT TCM) and only flash the TCM, with the stock Mk2 FG turbo HAEK4MF comes up with a tran fault and car stays stuck in 1st gear on the ZF transmission. Thus saying i assume it will requrie the correct O.S. HAER1UB for it to run correctly.

One this i noticed is when i follow the process, the strategy still reflects HAEK4MF rather than being named as HAER1UB. Is this because of the liceninsing of the OS and VIN of the car?

I hope i make sense here.

thanks

The guide in this thread shows you how to flash a completely different OSID into the car, if your OSID is still HAEK4MF then you didn't follow the procedure to swap the operating system. It should ask you for 2 more credits if you swapped the entire OS.

Flashing the entire TCM file in is not what we put in the guide either, we said to merge the calibration values only however if you did want to flash the entire TCM file in you can try modifying the "TCM Calibration Level Desired" scalar in the PCM to match that of the TCM (H3179 transmission calibration). This will sometimes let you use a mismatched TCM and PCM combination. 

Also FYI the Sprint PCM calibration is apparently not that great timing and fueling wise, the spark is fairly average and it runs pig rich.

• Like 1

Thanks Roland. I was looking at a total incorrect file name. pardon my error here, yes the editing part was not licensed in my tec file. in regards the TCM, thanks for the information you provided, was just curious to see what would happen. I was intrested in the FGX tune for comparisions with the standard FGMK2 tune.. feel free to remove my thread dated on 17/7/19 as incorrect information was provided.

thanks

• 8 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, abs351 said:

Hi Team,

Has anyone managed to use a  FGX XR6 turbo sprint tune on a Mk2 FG XR6 turbo (HAEK4MF.HEX / BBMF)?

I have performed this but noticed the car wouldnt idel or run well; i did a compare and utilzed the fuel tables, injector scalers, speed density from the FG HAEK4MF strategy. Got the car to run and obsreve AFR's on boost the car AFRS are floating arond 13's. saying this i would assume I did a compare between HAER1UB & HAEK4MF noticed injector scalars are the same?  Does FGX Sprint has diffrent injectors and turbo to a FG Mk2 Xr6 Turbo?

What i also noticed was, if i just use the trans ER2G-7J105-EB.tec (SPRINT TCM) and only flash the TCM, with the stock Mk2 FG turbo HAEK4MF comes up with a tran fault and car stays stuck in 1st gear on the ZF transmission. Thus saying i assume it will requrie the correct O.S. HAER1UB for it to run correctly.

One this i noticed is when i follow the process, the strategy still reflects HAEK4MF rather than being named as HAER1UB. Is this because of the liceninsing of the OS and VIN of the car?

I hope i make sense here.

thanks

When you flashed the MK2 XR6T, did it come up with a ABS/DSC error on the dash? I used the above instructions to put a Sprint tune on my MK2 G6ET and am getting an ABS / DSC error, assuming i'll need to user Forscan / IDS to program the ABS module but it would be good to know if the MK2 XR6T got the error or not so I know if I can use that calibration.

• 4 weeks later...

This, may help some others, another way for me to get around the ABS / DSC fault in my FG MK2 G6E Turbo was to use the method in step 3 above, I ended up copying all of the ZF related options along with the engine related stuff I wanted to move over. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2020 at 11:04 AM, NFS said:

When you flashed the MK2 XR6T, did it come up with a ABS/DSC error on the dash? I used the above instructions to put a Sprint tune on my MK2 G6ET and am getting an ABS / DSC error, assuming i'll need to user Forscan / IDS to program the ABS module but it would be good to know if the MK2 XR6T got the error or not so I know if I can use that calibration.

Yes this did appear. i just upgraded the OSID to HAER1UB with ABS / DSC fault. Car drives fine though. in the process of addressing this. Has anyone resolved this with a FG MK2 with a Sprint PCM & TCM OS.

ABZ

• 9 months later...

For anyone that's interested, I put a Sprint tune (inc ZF) on a mates FG MK2 F6 over the weekend. Unlike when I did this to my G6ET, we got no ABS errors which tells me that the FG MK2 F6 must have the same (or compatible) ABS calibration as the FGX Sprint. So for FG MK2 XR6 Turbo / G6E Turbo owners, you could follow the instructions in the first post and then use ForScan to change the ABS calibration to the FPV  / Brembo one and you should be good to go. Obviously there's no point unless you have the right hardware to go with it such as injectors / 3582 turbo.

• Like 1