User Guide: First time setup of the Editor and vehicle read

UPDATE: 12-09-22

Here is a link to the latest user manual which can be viewed via help -> View User Manual

image.png.833e11e56c78864a25806060b7f54279.png

Once you have registered and received your order confirmation go to the download link here:

https://www.pcmtec.com/downloads

You can then download the full version of the software from this link:

image.thumb.png.66ee18fb5f208d63dcd6963bf5b5a29f.png

Download and Install the program. .Net 4.7.1 is required as well so if that is not installed on your computer use the above link to download and install it.

If you have done so already install the drivers for the cable you are using. Most customers are using the Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable. These drivers for the Taxtrix can be obtained here:

https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=38&layout=blog&Itemid=61

Install these drivers as well.

Next you will need internet connection to allow the editor to  connect to the server for user validation and licensing.  

Start  up the PCMTec Editor and it will ask you to login. You need your email address and the password you registered with:

image.png.4a33824a2b70b9ba9996ebf55605441b.png

Once you have successfully logged in the Editor is now fully functional.

To read from the car connect plug the to Tactrix into the PCM and the cars OBD2 port. Then click on Read/Write Vehicle:

image.thumb.png.70f4e1df8ad73862c72ce46346ee58d4.png

By default it will read both the PCM and the ZF TCM, click on Read Flash:

image.thumb.png.b3c3e44460d0d0356484491583c10bfa.png

You will be asked to license the vehicle. You can choose to do this later by clicking No. Either way choose where you want the read of the vehicle saved and save the file.

Editor has now been set up and the vehicle read has been saved.

If you want to edit the file and did not license it in the previous step you will need to license it before you start editing:

image.thumb.png.56860d38e3e08fa874e15645d51f1c7a.png

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, brettus said:

Do I need to return the vehicle back to the stock file from an SCT tune file to licence the vehicle?

I don't see why you would have to. I licensed an already tuned hp tuners file.

In saying that, in the past, when swapping flash tuning devices you would want to start from stock to ensure that you know exactly what has been changed.

With how extensive pcmtec is I think that they would have all of the parameters and more that other tuning solutions have.

I would still start from a blank slate tho and use the parameter importing feature to knock most of it out.

22 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I don't see why you would have to. I licensed an already tuned hp tuners file.

In saying that, in the past, when swapping flash tuning devices you would want to start from stock to ensure that you know exactly what has been changed.

With how extensive pcmtec is I think that they would have all of the parameters and more that other tuning solutions have.

I would still start from a blank slate tho and use the parameter importing feature to knock most of it out.

I also licence'd a previously touched HP-TUNERS file without issue. 

The Ba turbo tune was loaded tot he Ba NA ecu with HPtuners, when loading it in PCMTECH it would show the na values as stock - i just used the BA Turbo PCMTECH file to compare and made my own notes on the differences, before proceeding with testing things. 

I think you will only run into trouble trying to get a locked file, i believe PCMTECH and hptuners can lock the files on the ecu now, so if your tuner does this you cant pull down the file, you would have to do a full stock revert on the ecu before being able to modify the file. - i could be wrong here tho, its just how i understand it. 

• 3 months later...

Hi team,

I hope this request is within the correct location to ensure PCMtec knowledge is centralized based on the subject.

Can we please get further clarity on the following box's a high level description on their usage or feature? ( I have a understanding, but would like to ensure its in line with PCMTEC support).

what would happen if they are ticked or not ticked when reading or writing to the PCM/TCM.

982146879_flashtoolbox.png.ad1837972cea575050a7312a3a413c22.png

Edited by abs351

• 2 weeks later...

Help! When I try to read the flash off my car for the first time, PCMTEC can't connect to my Openport 2.0 cable. Apparently, the software can't find any J2534 devices installed in the Windows registry. I have definitely installed installed the Openport 2.0 drivers as per the provided link, and Windows does appear to recognise the cable, but PCMTEC doesn't. My best guess is that this is due to where the drivers are installed, and the registry structure on 64-bit Win7, compared to 32-bit. Can you please advise how to fix this?

Hi, i've just done my first read, but it didn't pickup the Vin & the prog won't let me use it.

I'm using a VCM2 clone that i've used with IDS, which seems to have blanked the vin on this pcm & a spare i got from the wreckers. I have done a pats reset & entered the vin on both pcm's but the original cant access the radio ( but will start) the wreckers one will access the radio & start but the strategy for this one isn't BF RTV like the original is. (I'm trying to use the factory diff lock switch instead of bypassing it) The Bem appears to only have the letters FPA in it's vin now.

what i'm trying to do is enter the vin on the original pcm file & upload it. The pcm was originally lpg but flashed to petrol in ids using a different strategy for the same asu.

I have sent both files to support with logs, any ideas how i can insert a vin & start using the file, or do i have to find another pcm ? The vin i want to use ends in 4845 .

Thanks

Hi, i've just done my first read, but it didn't pickup the Vin & the prog won't let me use it.

I'm using a VCM2 clone that i've used with IDS, which seems to have blanked the vin on this pcm & a spare i got from the wreckers. I have done a pats reset & entered the vin on both pcm's but the original cant access the radio ( but will start) the wreckers one will access the radio & start but the strategy for this one isn't BF RTV like the original is. (I'm trying to use the factory diff lock switch instead of bypassing it) The Bem appears to only have the letters FPA in it's vin now.

what i'm trying to do is enter the vin on the original pcm file & upload it. The pcm was originally lpg but flashed to petrol in ids using a different strategy for the same asu.

I have sent both files to support with logs, any ideas how i can insert a vin & start using the file, or do i have to find another pcm ? The vin i want to use ends in 4845 .

Thanks

Thanks

We don't check the file upload section unless someone sends us an email so it looks like this got missed. If you can send us an email with the VIN you want entered we can update the file manually for you, once you license and flash it into the vehicle you will need to do a parameter reset with either IDS or Forscan otherwise the vehicle may be immobilised.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, abs351 said:

Hi team,

I hope this request is within the correct location to ensure PCMtec knowledge is centralized based on the subject.

Can we please get further clarity on the following box's a high level description on their usage or feature? ( I have a understanding, but would like to ensure its in line with PCMTEC support).

what would happen if they are ticked or not ticked when reading or writing to the PCM/TCM.

982146879_flashtoolbox.png.ad1837972cea575050a7312a3a413c22.png

This question got missed. Better late than never!

Partial Write

Partial write does nothing when reading a vehicle. When writing if the software can determine that nothing else has written to the vehicle since the last time you read/wrote the car, it will do a differential compare and only write the modified sections. This means a much faster (6-12 second) write than the standard 1 minute 40.

If someone else has modified the vehicle or you have a different file open, the partial write feature will automatically disable itself.

Partial write is available for the Black/Spanish Oak Falcon and TC1791 Mustang PCMs.

Calibration Only

This currently is not enabled for the majority of calibrations. In the newer Mustangs it will allow you to only read the minimum amount of ROM, this results in a reduced read time.

Recovery Mode:

This feature ignores all errors and disables the automatic detection of the PCM type (determined via VIN). When using recovery mode it will attempt to write the vehicle using the PCM type selected from the dropdown menu. Care should be used as this will allow writing the wrong file type to many vehicles, worst case the PCMs are only soft bricked and can be written to again.

Recovery mode also uses some special undocumented functionality to force Mustang PCMs into bootloader mode. This is useful when an invalid strategy has been flashed into a vehicle.

Recovery mode should only be used when a previous flash write has failed and the PCM is in an erased state to ensure errors are correctly handled and the correct PCM type is automatically determined.

• 4 months later...

I have two ECU's available for my Barra conversion into my Jeep TJ. One was supposed to have had PATs disabled and second O2 sensor disabled. This ECU has no pins on the third connector and the label is damaged the numbers I can read are ........A650-BB I think it is a BA ECU. I assume having no pins on 3rd connector is that it was for manual gearbox. Have tried this ecu engine will not start and fuel pump does to activate while cranking. Have tested the fuel pump circuit and it functions OK. It is just not getting the ground from ECU on pin B27. Which I have been told is a sign that PATs is not disabled.

The second ECU is from a BF ute with BTR 4 speed. 5R29-12A650-CC.

Is it possible to read both ECU's without licensing them. I just want to view them and decide which ECU is best to use with my conversion.

The engine is a FG Mk11 have the pedal out of the BF ute installed and the trans is the Jeep manual trans.

Sounds like PATS is still enabled.

If you have the workshop edition you can use calibration tools -> populate unlicensed file to view the files without licensing.

If you only have professional you can enter the catch code/tear tag into the stock file wizard to compare/view the stock files.

If you have enthusiast your only option is to license both files.

You can always upgrade from enthusiast -> pro -> workshop for the difference in cost via the website as well.

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

That error means the drivers are found but no power was detected. It means either the cable is faulty or the connection to the vehicle has an issue. Most likely power related. 

Is this a stock falcon or a conversion car? 

Stock 2007/7 xr6 zf bf sadan 

7 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

That error means the drivers are found but no power was detected. It means either the cable is faulty or the connection to the vehicle has an issue. Most likely power related. 

Is this a stock falcon or a conversion car? 

I triad if on a fg xr6 ute yesterday and same error come up

2 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Can you guys try Forscan and see if that connects. If not contact Jason at Ti Performance directly and see what he recommends to rule out a hardware issue. 

Afaik that is the legitimate Ti Performance ebay store and the pricing suggests so. 

https://www.tiperformance.com.au/contact/

Hi there Roland where do you recommend we get ow hardware from mate 

Below is the link to "FORScan", it's the software that Roland has suggested installing to help you work out if your issue is hardware related.

If it connects, it's not a hardware issue.

If it won't connect, you likely have a hardware issue and need to contact the supplier for further advise.

https://forscan.org/download.html

5 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Sounds like a problem with the cable or laptop then. I would try another laptop or usb port at least if you can. 

Triad a new usb cable and 2 different laptops 2 brand new 2020 model laptops a dell and Lenovo bost computers connect to forscan using forscans recommended cable obdlink ex works fine on both computers and all 5 usb ports 

I triad a brand new data transfer ubs cable with the tactrix still same result id say its the tactrix head its self mate what would you recommend now 

If the OpenPort 2.0 drivers have installed correctly, have you setup the "Connection Type" - J2534 & selected the Openport 2.0 as the J2534 Adapter?

When changes are made to the connection type, you will need to close FORScan & reopen it for it to connect successfully.

980833894_FORScanConnectionTypeJ2534.thumb.PNG.95cda1f9183494f87011c52ea9f655c1.PNG

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

If the OpenPort 2.0 drivers have installed correctly, have you setup the "Connection Type" - J2534 & selected the Openport 2.0 as the J2534 Adapter?

When changes are made to the connection type, you will need to close FORScan & reopen it for it to connect successfully.

980833894_FORScanConnectionTypeJ2534.thumb.PNG.95cda1f9183494f87011c52ea9f655c1.PNG

20201219_112025.jpg

20201219_112037.jpg