Jump to content

Knock adder level


Yortt
 Share

Recommended Posts

auF1456               Knock adder level to change from high octane operation to low octane operation  -5.5 -5.5  unitless. Knock adder level to change from high octane operation to low octane operation.

auF1671               Knock adder level to change from low octane operation to high octane operation  -0.25 -0.25   unitless Knock adder level to change from low octane operation to high octane operation

 

I have been going through the Demo editor and come across the above. This is the first time I have seen anything for Ford that resembles the GM vehicles Hi-Lo octane ignition maps,  does anyone have any detail on how these knock adder level settings function.

Edited by Yortt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are all zero'd out and afaik are not used in the Aussie falcons. You could try enabling it by putting some timing values into the tables and seeing if it will adjust to the ignition you have entered.

Most people just tune them for 98 and then leave the stock 10-14 degrees of ignition retard on knock there. That way even 91 fuel will still be "ok" as the system will pull the timing. You will still kill the ring lands eventually though as the PCM will continue to try and add timing until it detects knock, this will happen regularly so the engine will be experiencing extremely mild knock fairly regularly. Instead of killing the motor with too much timing on boost, it will kill it by knocking at cruise and low load.

I'm unsure if enabling this functionality would result in a better outcome or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

They are all zero'd out and afaik are not used in the Aussie falcons. You could try enabling it by putting some timing values into the tables and seeing if it will adjust to the ignition you have entered.

Most people just tune them for 98 and then leave the stock 10-14 degrees of ignition retard on knock there. That way even 91 fuel will still be "ok" as the system will pull the timing. You will still kill the ring lands eventually though as the PCM will continue to try and add timing until it detects knock, this will happen regularly so the engine will be experiencing extremely mild knock fairly regularly. Instead of killing the motor with too much timing on boost, it will kill it by knocking at cruise and low load.

I'm unsure if enabling this functionality would result in a better outcome or not.

Thanks for the reply, re "They are all zero'd out" I cannot see the table you are referring to, I am looking at the demo version?

While I cannot find any detail information on how Ford handle knock and it is as you describe I am surprised it is not as sophisticated as the GM knock control particularly given it is forced induction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is very sophisticated. Have a read of the patent that explains how it works. 

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4376429

There is a whole section of tables related to knock. When I'm in front of a pc I'll list the IDs for you. 

Here is the patent that explains the signal processing side of things

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5535722A/en

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yortt, patent is a good read. You will see in what Roland has posted many knock sensor configuration parameters and there is a whole section that is not available in other software. This was done to give the tuner OEM level capabilities and with the software you can download any of the Ford calibrations we have (over 900 of them) and do comparisons to see where Ford tunes.

As no one has had such easy access to all these parameters it gives you, the tuner, a competitive edge.

I will be writing up an example of the how to identify what Ford did with the BTR 4 speed for their turbo Falcon. This shows you what Ford changed between the NA and the turbo with the BTR 4 speed. I was staggered by the number of tables tuned in but at least you can now investigate what is actually required to tune one of these transmissions. This guide will only be available on the workshop Forum section. 

I think Autocotane is a switch or a pin that can be enabled from the dealer. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

It is very sophisticated. Have a read of the patent that explains how it works. 

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4376429

There is a whole section of tables related to knock. When I'm in front of a pc I'll list the IDs for you. 

Here is the patent that explains the signal processing side of things

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5535722A/en

Rolland, thanks for the reference material links. I agree with you knock detection on the fords is very sophisticated, my comment was in respect of the sophistication level of ford when compared to the sophistication level of GM from an aftermarket tuning perspective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darryl,

5 hours ago, Darryl@pcmtec said:

Yortt, patent is a good read. You will see in what Roland has posted many knock sensor configuration parameters and there is a whole section that is not available in other software. This was done to give the tuner OEM level capabilities and with the software you can download any of the Ford calibrations we have (over 900 of them) and do comparisons to see where Ford tunes.

As no one has had such easy access to all these parameters it gives you, the tuner, a competitive edge.

I will be writing up an example of the how to identify what Ford did with the BTR 4 speed for their turbo Falcon. This shows you what Ford changed between the NA and the turbo with the BTR 4 speed. I was staggered by the number of tables tuned in but at least you can now investigate what is actually required to tune one of these transmissions. This guide will only be available on the workshop Forum section. 

I think Autocotane is a switch or a pin that can be enabled from the dealer. 

Darryl, No question about the the degree of access your software has given, which is superior to the alternate software and in particular the benefit of the development of boost by gear also the forum  support as indicated by the response to this post post. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...