HOWTO: ZF Transmission replacement (TCM)

This guide explains the steps to replace a ZF transmission and upload you existing calibration to it. This guide requires that the replacement transmission is from the same vehicle. Eg if you have a BF you must source a ZF from another BF. If you have an FG you must source a ZF from another FG.

UPDATE: BF TCMs can be converted to FG and vice versa by sending your TCM to either Brett at Custom Machine Works or Matt at BPR who both operate a mail order service for reprogramming the base operating system. This cannot be done with PCMTEC as it requires a special cable and software package.

https://www.facebook.com/Custom-Machine-Works-856789001022313/

https://www.bulletperformanceracing.com.au/

If you attempt to put a BF ZF in an FG or vice versa you will have to replace the TCM/mechatronics in the box. Although the boxes are identical the real time operating system is not. The real time operating system is not written when you write the TCM hence you will end up with a TCM that is in limp mode if you do not swap it over.

If you do not follow this guide and attempt to write your existing calibration to the vehicle will get a "Vehicle serial does not match" error when attempting to write the old TCM file.

Step 1:

Read the existing old TCM and save it to disk. Ensure you have ticked "TCM" only within the flash read page. If the TCM was erased at any stage you can still do this step, but you will need to use recovery mode and manually select the TCM type from their corresponding dropdowns. For ZF there is only one option, Ford ZF.

Save this read as "Old TCM.tec"

If you no longer have the old TCM you will need to press Calibration Tools -> Create stock file", then press "Create stock file from strategy or catchcode" then enter in the strategy from the old TCM eg 8R29-7J105-PE (this is NOT the hardware number which looks similar) and save this tile as "Old TCM.tec"

Step 2:

Install the new box ensuring the TCM plug is intact with no pins backing out (this is a common fault).

Read the new TCM only by ensuring only TCM is ticked within the flash read page.

Save this as "new TCM.tec"

Step 3:

Open the merge wizard via "Create Stock File/Calibration Merge"

image.png.aee83d3d0e52ae62955e824b2030139f.png

Select "Manually Merge VID/Serial"

image.png.075f182f9202bdba26b59e182cda7584.png

Press "Load File 1" and select "Old TCM.tec"

Press "Load File 2" and select "new TCM.tec"

image.png.4b4e2c7891ee9ce36cfd128828d1311d.png

Next press "Import TCM Serial from File 2"

Press "Save File 1" and save as "New merged TCM.tec"

Now license the file again (will cost 0 credits to license the new TCM file) and write the file to the vehicle.

A guide to replace the PCM can be found here:

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

The hardware as far as I know is the same but the operating system may not be. You might be able to just change the calibration, if the operating system needs changing you'd need to send it to Custom Machine Works or BPR to have it changed (requires a special cable that uses KLine) 

Hi Roland, does the PCMtec application have the ability to change the operating system?

7 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Not possible, requires KLine which the tactrix doesn't support. 

Thanks for the confirmation that it couldn't be done using PCMtec & a different cable.

I've been advised of a cable & different software that'll work but haven't looked at it any further yet.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, yoda598 said:

Fg mk2 box into mk1 shouldn't be a problem should it?

The ZF6HP26 TCM OSID is the same from FGI to FGII from what I've been able ascertain but the calibration is where you're likely going to get a mismatch & require a calibration change or TCM swap.

Edited by Bill

3 hours ago, yoda598 said:

Tcm was destroyed when  original box failed. So say I find a tcm strategy that matches pcm calibration would I be able to throw It into tcm and should be good no? 

Do you have a pcmtec read from the original box?
You should be able to create a stock TCM file to use if you don't.

5 hours ago, yoda598 said:

Tcm was destroyed when  original box failed. So say I find a tcm strategy that matches pcm calibration would I be able to throw It into tcm and should be good no? 

Enter the tear tag into the create stock file wizard and it will automatically download the correct tcm strategy if we have it mapped. 

If it's not available post the strategy here and we can look up if anyone else has licensed this strategy previously and if there was a corrosponding tcm licensed at the same time. Not a 100% guarantee it's the right one but it probably is. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Roland@pcmteclooking for some help, ive got a Retro muscle car that ive fitted a Boss 260 with ZF trans, then swapped out for a Boss 290 and Computer to suit. Unfortunately wasn't aware of the TCM not matching and now surprise surprise they dont talk to each other. as you can imagine no tear tab information only Vin Tag info for the computer.

Any ideas how i can resolve this issue?

46 minutes ago, Smileymike said:

Hi Roland@pcmteclooking for some help, ive got a Retro muscle car that ive fitted a Boss 260 with ZF trans, then swapped out for a Boss 290 and Computer to suit. Unfortunately wasn't aware of the TCM not matching and now surprise surprise they dont talk to each other. as you can imagine no tear tab information only Vin Tag info for the computer.

Any ideas how i can resolve this issue?

Are both the 260 & 290 PCM’s from a BF or is the 290 PCM from a FG?

If they’re both BF, post the strategy for more help.

If the TCM is BF and PCM is FG, there are only a few people who can reprogram the TCM for you.

14 minutes ago, Smileymike said:

The tear tab photo above is not mine. This is a snap shot from the pcmtec software scan

The A5ME in your screenshot is the Tear Tag code, along with VIN which shows as XR series, which in BF is a 260.

image.thumb.png.9c73424bb24149511aa4032608037847.png

Edited by Bill

Just now, Smileymike said:

Ok so I’m running a 290 and based on that the ZF probably doesn’t match a BA?? And TCM would need to be programmed in AU

Your response makes no sense. No idea why you'd think any information provided would relate to BA or AU as I have clearly stated BF info??

B5EB & B5EC are definitely BF 290 Tear Tags but the PCMTEC strategy browser doesn't list TCM files, nor do they download.
B5ED is the next in the series & it does have a TCM file....if that helps. Use that along with the create stock file/calibration merge function and you'll have 290 PCM & TCM calibrations instead of the 260 you currently have.

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 6:18 PM, Bill said:

Is the screenshot a read with the original 260 PCM & TCM?
I thought the Tear Tag A5ME was a XR8 one & a check in Etis shows the VIN is for a XR8.

image.thumb.png.f6cfb28556f6f3f25f25468b04404974.png

UPDATE on this due to incorrect info. A5ME is actually a BF V8 FPV Tear Tag, not XR8 as I previously said. The VIN is however XR8.
The values for auF12105, shown at the far right for (Ford/FPV Switch)
130=FG XR6T, BF & FG V8 FPV.
138=BF, F6X & FG 4.0 FPV.   
image.thumb.png.c9aa4446f9e2bb3ced49c4b3a0d4e707.png 

The auF12105 values I've found for other variants are as per below
image.thumb.png.d5390451430b05c6b3dccafb494556a9.png

Edited by Bill