HOWTO: ABS Reprogramming

On 3/26/2021 at 5:26 PM, Bill said:

You'll find the speed source setting is incorrect in the PCM for the vehicle.

The BA uses 2 different ABS systems. The first is a 3 channel system for ABS equipped vehicles & a 4 channel system for ABS/TCS equipped vehicles. I wouldn't expect that the calibrations would be in any way compatible which rules FORScan out as an option for fixing your issue.

I believe you'll have 3 options.....I'd go with option 2 if you have the original PCM

Option 1. licence the PCM & change the speed source setting to match the original PCM.....there may still be other differences in the calibration that may cause problems

Option 2. See below....HOWTO: PCM Replacement

Option 3. change the ABS module to suit the pcm. You'd also need to confirm there are no body wiring loom differences, brake master cylinder is the same etc.

any feedback on the fix for this one? i have the same issue, fitted a turbo pcm to my n/a ba xr6 with abs but without traction control. no abs faults but i cannot get the speedo to work.

11 hours ago, boostedfalcon said:

any feedback on the fix for this one? i have the same issue, fitted a turbo pcm to my n/a ba xr6 with abs but without traction control. no abs faults but i cannot get the speedo to work.

Have you looked at the speed source on the original BA na PCM? It will tell you what it needs to be.

BA's with ABS/TCS will need the speed source set to ABS via CAN
BA's with ABS only, will need the speed source set to ABS via wire
BA's with gearbox transducer (no ABS) will need the speed source set to Hall Effect

On 1/10/2022 at 8:00 AM, Bill said:

Have you looked at the speed source on the original BA na PCM? It will tell you what it needs to be.

BA's with ABS/TCS will need the speed source set to ABS via CAN
BA's with ABS only, will need the speed source set to ABS via wire
BA's with gearbox transducer (no ABS) will need the speed source set to Hall Effect

thanks Bill

ABS only, will need the speed source set to ABS via wire (this sorted it)

very much appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey guys , can someone just correct me if I'm wrong please , but I have a bf mk2 turbo the abs module died so I got another one the pump numbers match so I took the module off it and put it in , to program it do I just hook the old one up save the data off it and load it onto the replacement? Is that correct ? As it's booked in to get done but that's next week if I can get it done I can race this weekend.

1 hour ago, Bushy0001 said:

Hey guys , can someone just correct me if I'm wrong please , but I have a bf mk2 turbo the abs module died so I got another one the pump numbers match so I took the module off it and put it in , to program it do I just hook the old one up save the data off it and load it onto the replacement? Is that correct ? As it's booked in to get done but that's next week if I can get it done I can race this weekend.

I’ve recently found a couple where the pump numbers have matched but the programming has been different & doesn’t have the turbo As-Built or turbo variants. They also won’t accept the turbo As-Built.

If you can check the donor vehicle TearTag of the vehicle, you’ll need to match one of the numbers below to know you can then change variant if it doesn’t match
eg XR6T or XR8 ute TearTag will show 09 02 04…..highlighted line in image. 

BF Turbo ABS.jpg

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2

On 6/30/2022 at 8:10 AM, Bill said:

I’ve recently found a couple where the pump numbers have matched but the programming has been different & doesn’t have the turbo As-Built or turbo variants. They also won’t accept the turbo As-Built.

If you can check the donor vehicle TearTag of the vehicle, you’ll need to match one of the numbers below to know you can then change variant if it doesn’t match
eg XR6T or XR8 ute TearTag will show 09 02 04…..highlighted line in image. 

BF Turbo ABS.jpg

I don’t see any turbo ones. Does that mean it’s not a turbo abs?

• 3 months later...

So we had an interesting ABS issue come up recently with two sperate cars. Basically there appears to be a FG build in the wild which what I would call a "Police Special". Apart from the normal police enables, this has a very particular strategy and ABS config.

1) The engine is a 'normal' FG engine build

2) ABS is set to F6 / Force 6 - 4Pot (19-01-01)

3) Unclear if the car was fit with the larger 4-pot or not at build time.

4) Strategy is HAEDLG7 - we have only ever seen it on these "ex police" vehicles.

Problem being is that this particular strategy also needed the upgrade to the HAAE4 strategy for our CustomOS. When you did this - the ABS would fault. Essentially the ABS then became aware that the car was not using a F6 Strategy (or in this case, this special police hybrid). The upgrade to a F6 strategy was off the cards due to the engine differences (engine, turbo, injectors) without a whole bunch of time spent copying parameters and giving it a run on the dyno to be sure.

So how do you fix it? The first option is to reset the ABS unit to the standard XR6T variant (19-06-01), but if you are running the larger brakes (4pot or 6pot) this is not ideal because it will not be using the appropriate ABS calibration for that package, additionally this requires FORSCAN and knowledge on how to use it.

Second option is to figure out how the ABS knew that the PCM was not a "F6" PCM. We knew this was being communicated from the PCM somehow, but we had yet to identify a parameter in the PCM (if any) which was identifying this difference. Well due to the excellent work of @jakka351 and some time spent comparing stock files in PCMTec, we landed on the following information:

- In the engine configuration frame that is sent on CAN, along with cylinder count, displacement, also contains a "peak engine torque" value.

- Some anecdotal information said that for a Ford this value was always 0x82, and for a FPV this value was always a 0x8A

- Doing some in-depth compares between known F6 strategies and normal strategies as well as the information on this CAN message led us to the parameter : auF12105: "Engine peak torque for SCP".

This is a development parameter, and therefore only in Workshop Edition.

Current Understanding is as Follows:

Essentially this parameter is "130" (0x82) on all normal strategies - be it I6, V8 or otherwise. and "138" (0x8A) on all the F6 / FPV strategies.

The name and allocation in the CAN frame is a misnomer, its not actually peak torque value.

(I will look at renaming this in our database in the future for clarity.)

When we set this value to 138 in the normal strategy with the F6 ABS, the error was cleared and we were able to proceed with MultiTune on the car, without having to change the ABS setting back to XR6T.

Why is this important? Well first off it shows us the value of some of these development parameters that we continue to explore and learn about, but more importantly, it means that if you are doing a brake upgrade on a non-FPV car, you can now run the ABS in the correct setting for that brake package and ensure you don't get any warning lights / ABS no bueno.

Cheers 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Kirby@PCMTec said:

Yeah I already have renamed it and updated the description. Next time there is an update it will be under "Miscellaneous" in the editor.

Cool, it'll be easier to find there & having it added into the "Calibration list" will also make it easier to filter strategies with the desired value if needed

It may be a thing to also point put that there may be many cars out there that are running the wrong ABS config for the set up they have - Using mine as an example a mk1 GS (stock config Xr8), running the GT Boss 315 strategy had only been possible by setting the ABS to GT 4 Pot brake config - Wrong for the brakes on the vehicle, meaning the ABS may not be functioning at its optimum level. I do not know if this can effect stopping distance in an hard braking condition when the ABS become active. Will post further information on how editing PCM side parameters can allow the correct ABS configuration to work with the desired strategy. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Small Update:

image.thumb.png.eaf15f07cefabab32d8c41b83a670d03.png

Parameters auF1718, auF2552, auF2531, auF12105 control the data which is sent on CAN ID 0x623 bytes 0-3 respectively(0 being the first byte).

I am still mapping the rest, and as for how this can be used in practice to match ABS Config to PCM Strategy, the end goal would be to have the ABS configured as per the physical setup on the vehicle, so Xr6 NA should really be set to Xr6 NA Configuration in the ABS module, but to have that work with an Xr6 Turbo Strategy/PCM the above is likely what the ABS module reads before deciding if it is good to operate or if it will go into fault mode. 

I suspect that on the same makes the ABS module and pump hardware is all the same, this makes sense from the point of the manufacturer, however there is a lot of different hardware between BA/BF/FG/FGII/FG-X as well as 3 different diagnostic protocols. This means that in theory, as long as you can tell the ABS module the right data you should be able to match the correct ABS config for the vehicle setup to any PCM strategy.

More to come. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jakka351 said:

Small Update:

image.thumb.png.eaf15f07cefabab32d8c41b83a670d03.png

Parameters auF1718, auF2552, auF2531, auF12105 control the data which is sent on CAN ID 0x623 bytes 0-3 respectively(0 being the first byte).

I am still mapping the rest, and as for how this can be used in practice to match ABS Config to PCM Strategy, the end goal would be to have the ABS configured as per the physical setup on the vehicle, so Xr6 NA should really be set to Xr6 NA Configuration in the ABS module, but to have that work with an Xr6 Turbo Strategy/PCM the above is likely what the ABS module reads before deciding if it is good to operate or if it will go into fault mode. 

I suspect that on the same makes the ABS module and pump hardware is all the same, this makes sense from the point of the manufacturer, however there is a lot of different hardware between BA/BF/FG/FGII/FG-X as well as 3 different diagnostic protocols. This means that in theory, as long as you can tell the ABS module the right data you should be able to match the correct ABS config for the vehicle setup to any PCM strategy.

More to come. 

Great info again Jakka. You've likely already worked out the rest of the description for auF2552 but in case you haven't, others are interested or @PCMTEC wish to update the description, auF2552 "Calibration of Engine Cylinders and Valves for SCP. CAl as (NUMCYL * 8 + (Number of valves)

6 cyl is 6x8+4=52
V8 3v is 8x8+3=67
V8 4v is 8x8+4-68

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jakka351 said:

Does anyone ever pull the VIN off of the ABS module when these issues are happening? I see that FORScan does not appear to be able to do it. However it is there in the As Built in block 0. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've never given it a thought. I've swapped ABS modules in BA & BF without needing to change VIN. I haven't had to swap one in FG

• 7 months later...
On 10/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, Kirby@PCMTec said:

So we had an interesting ABS issue come up recently with two sperate cars. Basically there appears to be a FG build in the wild which what I would call a "Police Special". Apart from the normal police enables, this has a very particular strategy and ABS config.

1) The engine is a 'normal' FG engine build

2) ABS is set to F6 / Force 6 - 4Pot (19-01-01)

3) Unclear if the car was fit with the larger 4-pot or not at build time.

4) Strategy is HAEDLG7 - we have only ever seen it on these "ex police" vehicles.

Problem being is that this particular strategy also needed the upgrade to the HAAE4 strategy for our CustomOS. When you did this - the ABS would fault. Essentially the ABS then became aware that the car was not using a F6 Strategy (or in this case, this special police hybrid). The upgrade to a F6 strategy was off the cards due to the engine differences (engine, turbo, injectors) without a whole bunch of time spent copying parameters and giving it a run on the dyno to be sure.

So how do you fix it? The first option is to reset the ABS unit to the standard XR6T variant (19-06-01), but if you are running the larger brakes (4pot or 6pot) this is not ideal because it will not be using the appropriate ABS calibration for that package, additionally this requires FORSCAN and knowledge on how to use it.

Second option is to figure out how the ABS knew that the PCM was not a "F6" PCM. We knew this was being communicated from the PCM somehow, but we had yet to identify a parameter in the PCM (if any) which was identifying this difference. Well due to the excellent work of @jakka351 and some time spent comparing stock files in PCMTec, we landed on the following information:

- In the engine configuration frame that is sent on CAN, along with cylinder count, displacement, also contains a "peak engine torque" value.

- Some anecdotal information said that for a Ford this value was always 0x82, and for a FPV this value was always a 0x8A

- Doing some in-depth compares between known F6 strategies and normal strategies as well as the information on this CAN message led us to the parameter : auF12105: "Engine peak torque for SCP".

This is a development parameter, and therefore only in Workshop Edition.

Current Understanding is as Follows:

Essentially this parameter is "130" (0x82) on all normal strategies - be it I6, V8 or otherwise. and "138" (0x8A) on all the F6 / FPV strategies.

The name and allocation in the CAN frame is a misnomer, its not actually peak torque value.

(I will look at renaming this in our database in the future for clarity.)

When we set this value to 138 in the normal strategy with the F6 ABS, the error was cleared and we were able to proceed with MultiTune on the car, without having to change the ABS setting back to XR6T.

Why is this important? Well first off it shows us the value of some of these development parameters that we continue to explore and learn about, but more importantly, it means that if you are doing a brake upgrade on a non-FPV car, you can now run the ABS in the correct setting for that brake package and ensure you don't get any warning lights / ABS no bueno.

Cheers 

@Kirby@PCMTec an update for auF12105

The values for auF12105, shown at the far right for (Ford/FPV Switch)
130=FG XR6T, BF & FG V8 FPV.
138=BF, F6X & FG 4.0 FPV.   
image.thumb.png.c9aa4446f9e2bb3ced49c4b3a0d4e707.png 

The auF12105 values I've found for other variants are as per below which isn't correctly reflected in the parameter description
image.thumb.png.abd0e9002120b7f0f77a61f8cb4840fb.png

auF12105 isn't found when searched in FGX Sprint UEAA or UEAB.
I wasn't able to find a BF manual 3V file but could have missed one when filtering.

Edited by Bill
  • Like 2