How to turn off converter lock up for certain gears ZF

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/31/2021 at 4:35 PM, Steve752 said:

Regarding those 5 ZF Converter Schedule Tables (e.g. ZF03885 Converter Schedule 2 Manual Shift Mode) I wonder if someone can help as to the meaning of the three columns for each gear, L, M & H  ?

image.png.ab6382faa5997e7be9212e0b04a32369.png

did you work this out mate

occurred to me it may part of a TCC partial lock strategy viz. Light, Medium, Hard   still not 100% sure though & havn't verified.                                                                          

Not sure if the the ZF runs it,  but common these days to see TCC partial lock (e.g. controlled approx 50 rpm TCC slip)  - helps keep the fuel economy benefits right down at low rpm , but the slip isolates out otherwise annoying driveline booms & vibe disturbances  - above certain rpm then can transition to full TCC lock  etc..

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Putting 8000 in the shift lock table will keep the converter unlocked for most of the gears. That value will still let the converter lock up at 7000rpm in 5th and 5500rpm in 6th, so on the off chance you will be actually going this fast and want the converter unlocked still, you should use a lightly higher number. An OSS of 8000 is 312kph in a awd zf territory, so unlikely it will need a higher number than that.

Click on the vehicle speed tab in the unit converter, then you can adjust the values to see how different OSS numbers affect when the lockup comes on in regard to RPM etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

Putting 8000 in the shift lock table will keep the converter unlocked for most of the gears. That value will still let the converter lock up at 7000rpm in 5th and 5500rpm in 6th, so on the off chance you will be actually going this fast and want the converter unlocked still, you should use a lightly higher number. An OSS of 8000 is 312kph in a awd zf territory, so unlikely it will need a higher number than that.

Click on the vehicle speed tab in the unit converter, then you can adjust the values to see how different OSS numbers affect when the lockup comes on in regard to RPM etc.

Ok sweet. I used 5000 to start with but i've now changed to 8000. Would there be much of a difference in feel? I personally havent felt a difference in my NA fg. 

Should i also set these unlocks to 0 or should they be 8k too?

image.png.08a0fa4fff9707aab335416578856b4f.png

I had my turbo teritory unlocked in 1-2-3 in drive. I noticed it in mid throttle take off seemed smoither.

I also took to drive maps, vs preformance maps n  halved the difference (except the 100 percentage shifts). This made the most difference in low to mid throttle movement as it would holder the lower gear longer instead of basically trying to leave the line in 2nd 

1 hour ago, Puffwagon said:

^^^Do this so you understand what is happening. It will also explain why you can't feel a difference, after you have a think about it.

• Like 1