Help needed 69 mach 1 with XR8 + ZF 6speed running gear.

Hermie

Hi all

Looking for some help with a couple of questions. Some general questions on XR8 and also some PCMtec software qustions.

Original setup was running XR8 engine BF2006 with ZF 6speed auto with Standalone Harness and modified PCM, PATS disabled & speed source was set to ABS by wire off memory as the striped down ABS module was still wired in and a speed conversion box was to be wired up to a separate tail shaft speed sensor.

somewhere along the build process I had what i thought was a great idea and decided to buy a complete harness with modules out of a 2007 / 08 XR8 ute and incorporate the ABS & ESC and so the fun begins. So long story shortened every thing in including steering column and all seems to be working including the abs has no fault codes.

Engine starts, brakes work but of course it's in limp mode, I believe due to speed source!

Transmission has 1 fault code on reverse light, BF instro cluster plugged in engine check light on and no speedo working.

First Question? does the BF XR8 Instro Cluster receive it's speed source via the ABS via Can or the Trans OSS via Can?? I have tried changing it to Trans OSS and raised the car on the hoist and put it into drive but still no speed reading at the speedo.

Second Question? Using Forscan I can see the Trans OSS speed sensor speed and also each ABS wheel sensor speeds but when using PCM Tec via data logger can I view these?? 

Third Question? how many locations do I need to change in PCM tech to change the Diff ratio to 3.0 and why does the stock show 63.999 but the changed value shows the 2.729 which I believe is the stock Diff ratio for the XR8

image.thumb.png.7005c54b1602a55ea7bd613636e7a765.png 

Speed source should be set to ABS via CAN when using the original ABS module & sensors.

63.999 just appears to be what's setup in a stock file prior to programming the correct VID info.

Make sure you check the axle ratio set at the following 
VID Block plus auF0394 & ZF03985. These may still be set correctly.
image.thumb.png.fdbd28c4ef421b362666530aee25f001.png
image.png.ae7f666c14090514dd22bcce3e04ba45.png

Thanks Bill for the help, will update the speed source and the Diff ratio to those VID Blocks, the reverse fault code is much more diabolical as I think it's an internal issue as it is not activating the earth signal to the reverse relay, It had 12v from the box to the relay but well I was playing around I think I accidentally shorted it for a mili second and now I have lost the 12v from the box to the relay. every thing else with the auto box seems fine. Found others with the same fault code and it doesn't seem to effect any thing else. Was thinking of running a micro switch from the gear selector to activate the reverse relay. Fingers crossed.

Check all fuses if you haven't already & hope it's blown one & not damaged the TCM.

As for datalogging wheel speed, you can add what's required to the standard logging template or create one specifically for doing this.

If you use various searches under channels, you can usually fine the channels you're after.

eg, search vs & you'll see vspeed come up under transmission....if you want to add it to the logging layout.
wss finds wheel speed sensor.

image.thumb.png.5b8b73d037ee2368fde4b13d9e008bfa.png

No fuses blown unless there is one on the transmission internals on a circuit board somewhere.

I updated the axle ratio's as per the above but now I am throwing a P1635 code for tire / axle ratio out of range

updated as per below but still throws the code. do I also need to update auF1310

image.png.4570d985bc6b517d1f71b21374e30e4b.png

45 minutes ago, Hermie said:

No fuses blown unless there is one on the transmission internals on a circuit board somewhere.

No internal fuses 

45 minutes ago, Hermie said:

I updated the axle ratio's as per the above but now I am throwing a P1635 code for tire / axle ratio out of range

updated as per below but still throws the code. do I also need to update auF1310

You've made an error.....auF1706 is a VID block calibration override & wasn't mentioned above. VID block calibration overrides usually only work if the VID block is disabled, which is often unnecessary & may not be required in this instance because you're running the original modules & sensors & if you're running BF sized wheels & tyres.

If you're not & can't adjust within the VID block, you may need to disable VID block & use the calibration overrides.

auF1706 should be set back to stock....2.75 for now.

Edited by Bill

Thanks Bill, I will reset back to 2.75, I disconnected the battery as I was planning on packing up for the night and then decided to go back out and this time using forscan the P1635 code is gone still only have 2 PCM DTC codes left P0701 Transmission Control System range/ performance & P1000 OBD System readiness test not completed. any suggestion would be awesome. Once again thanks for your help really appreciate it.

58 minutes ago, Hermie said:

Thanks Bill, I will reset back to 2.75, I disconnected the battery as I was planning on packing up for the night and then decided to go back out and this time using forscan the P1635 code is gone still only have 2 PCM DTC codes left P0701 Transmission Control System range/ performance & P1000 OBD System readiness test not completed. any suggestion would be awesome. Once again thanks for your help really appreciate it.

I missed the 3.0 ratio. You should change the diff ratio's to from 2.73 to 3.0.

The "Activate/Deactivate VID Block Parameters for Final Drive/Tire" etc parameter should only be changed to disable if the VID settings can't be changed to work.

You won't get rid of the P1000 code until a complete drive cycle has been completed & all inputs required are recognised eg brake, throttle, gear changes etc, so ignore for now.

The P0701 code, I usually recommend checking the wiring between PCM & TCM as a starting point. This will include removing the wiring connector at the TCM, cleaning & checking for damage to wiring, TCM pins, wiring pins pushed back out of the connector or being stretched & not making contact. It could be related to the reverse light issue mentioned earlier although, there's no mention of it now.

Thanks Bill

I have  previously checked all the connections and point to point checked from the Transmission through to C20 connector and to PCM all OK. Still getting reverse open circuit fault which is more than likely the cause of the P0701 at the PCM. there is not much info on the reverse open circuit code, those that did have this code put in a new/refurbished TCM and this got the reverse lights working again.

Thanks

No worries Hermie. There's not a lot of info in the workshop manual on the couple of reverse light fault codes & it sounds like you've already spent plenty of time checking the wiring circuits. Let me know how you go with it.