Jump to content

Pats error


TommyH
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ba falcon has been running then all of a sudden 3 of my keys won’t talk to the car.

diagnostic tool says pats error . 

what could be the issue ? Battery is fully charged . 
pumps don’t prime with ignition on but all dash lights work , and does not crank 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Ba falcon has been running then all of a sudden 3 of my keys won’t talk to the car.

diagnostic tool says pats error . 

what could be the issue ? Battery is fully charged . 
pumps don’t prime with ignition on but all dash lights work , and does not crank 

Sounds like PATS has kicked in. What have you changed since it was running? Have you flashed a different strategy, changed pcm, icc, bem?

What are the fault codes ie P1260? any other codes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing has been flashed to the pcm still retains a tuned file by sct, only read file done in pcmtech .

the red hand goes off once ignition is turned on , but still has a pats error .

 

fault code was read by mechanics scan tool , can’t connect dtc with pcmtech or hptuners or forscan . 
forscan comes up with turn ignition on to connect but ignition is on 

was thinking perhaps bcm error ? Not sure on these ba’s . 

Edited by TommyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Nothing has been flashed to the pcm still retains a tuned file by sct, only read file done in pcmtech .

the red hand goes off once ignition is turned on , but still has a pats error .

was thinking perhaps bcm error ? Not sure on these ba’s . 

Without fault codes, all anyone can do is guess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Ok didn’t take note of fault code by mechanic but read pats error 

It could be a faulty key reader, pcm, bem, transponder chip, cloned keys, ignition switch, wiring etc

Check the ignition electrical switch at the back of the barrel hasn't started falling apart. It's common for this to happen but usually cases other issues too.

Having fault codes would help steer you in the right direction & should have been enough to give your mechanic somewhere to start. If you know someone with FORScan, they could scan it for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks bill , I’ve tried to connect forscan , keeps saying turn on ignition when it is actually switched on .  
just had a auto locksmith he thinks that it’s not the keys , as the flashing hand switches off and reads correctly and said perhaps pcm . 
will go over the things you mentioned and try to hunt it down . 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Thanks bill , I’ve tried to connect forscan , keeps saying turn on ignition when it is actually switched on .  
just had a auto locksmith he thinks that it’s not the keys , as the flashing hand switches off and reads correctly and said perhaps pcm . 
will go over the things you mentioned and try to hunt it down . 
 

Check the courtesy lamp fuse. It's what supplies power to the OBDII connector. Your OBDII interface won't power up without it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Cheers for that , I contacted the mechanic he mentioned that the code was b1601-60

Looks like the BEM has forgotten the keys for some reason. Hopefully, the keys are not cloned. If they are cloned, if it forgets 1 key, it forgets them all.

Try reprogramming PATS (keys). If it's only finding one key when you try programming 3, it may be due to cloned keys. If it's not finding any keys to program & has no other codes after programming, it might be a BEM issue.

image.thumb.png.e4dc993f486eec4ba3135572ab21e5a0.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeh I have someone coming tomorrow with a bem , current one is blue I think 🤔 and changing to a green one ,  and can do keys also . 
I have one original key and also 2 others cloned when my kids lost the original . 
cheers Bill for your input , much appreciated . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Yeh I have someone coming tomorrow with a bem , current one is blue I think 🤔 and changing to a green one ,  and can do keys also . 
I have one original key and also 2 others cloned when my kids lost the original . 
cheers Bill for your input , much appreciated . 

If the 2 spare keys are cloned off the original key, it will see all 3 keys as 1 single key which is why when it fails to see one key, it fails to see all keys. You need 2 individual keys (transponders) for programming, not 3 keys which essentially have the same transponder chip due to cloning.

When using the wrong colour BEM, you'll have to look at the additional fault codes that you'll get & say to yourself, that's a false code when you get them for seat memory module etc

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After changing out the bem still had the same issue , forescan would not connect , ended up getting in contact with bill hooten who checked the pcm, can’t thank him enough … seems that was the issue.

forescan is connecting and currently doing a pats reset with new pcm . 

Edited by TommyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TommyH said:

After changing out the bem still had the same issue , forescan would not connect , ended up getting in contact with bill hooten who checked the pcm, can’t thank him enough … seems that was the issue.

forescan is connecting and currently doing a pats reset with new pcm . 

Great to hear. I've seen a lot of failed BA pcm's where hot or cold temperature stops them from starting or causes stalling, failed coil or injector drivers, auto transmission issues, but haven't seen any where PATS has been an issue. I'll be adding it to the list of known problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Not there yet but almost done 

I've just re-read some of your previous info. Your problems likely started with the SCT tune. I've come across several instances where a pcm hasn't been readable using FORScan, HPtuners, Ford IDS & scan tools in general. It doesn't explain why keys were forgotten. PCMtec will usually still connect to these ecu's in recovery mode.

Sometimes the calibration & strategy don't match, the VIN isn't in the correct format or incorrect VID programming. Sometimes, when this is an issue & they can't be read, they will still accept being flashed

PATS programming on a BA will take about 10-12 minutes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TommyH said:

Yep confirmed ,ecu was the issue , 

Try reading your old ecu using PCMtec. If it won't read, tick recovery mode & see if it will read. You don't need to licence it if it does & it might just confirm if there was an issue with the SCT tune.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes bill hooten tried to read it on his workbench and it failed . Other issues I had was dropping cylinders , fuel pressure and or injector drivers . 
I had read previously a week ago and had opted for the recovery mode and licenced it .

did a pats reset on forescan cause now I could connect to it , but could t connect yesterday , kept saying turn ignition on when it was on . 
last week didn’t have a issue with forscan connecting either . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TommyH said:

Yes bill hooten tried to read it on his workbench and it failed . Other issues I had was dropping cylinders , fuel pressure and or injector drivers . 
I had read previously a week ago and had opted for the recovery mode and licenced it .

did a pats reset on forescan cause now I could connect to it , but could t connect yesterday , kept saying turn ignition on when it was on . 
last week didn’t have a issue with forscan connecting either . 

If I'd have known about the other issues with dropping cylinders or injector drivers, you'd read the ecu in recovery mode, licenced the ecu & then not being able to connect with FORScan, I'd have suggested to try writing it again with PCMtec & if you still had the issue, don't bother with it being a BA ecu. The other issues prior to having PATS issues is vital info when asking for help trying to diagnose a problem.

At the end of the day, you have it going again. That's what matters most.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see, I thought it was something to do with fuel pressure as I went from 52psi to 42 psi at idle didnot think it was related to my pats issue hence not mentioned . 
till I went searching online this afternoon . 
also did not write the file as I am still trying to understand a couple of things , one is that my pcm has a 32HE tag and pcmtech shows me that I have a A3HD , and how all this mis matching works .

Now that it’s on the forum if someone has similiar issues , I guess they have a pathway to check . 

Edited by TommyH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...