5.4 into territory

dylbott94

Hi, what year and PCM types are between both. What are both car tear tag values.

If the same PCM, should possibly work. You may need to merge the VID from the Territory to the XT file. I assume the XT is a 4 speed and the territory is a 4 spd BTR rwd box?

Check the ABS modules if they are the same also.

You may need to revise the tune file to compensate the variant weights of each car too.

May need to disable PATS in tune file initially to get everything going..

Never seen this would be pretty cool

Abs

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, jakka351 said:

Nah, 5.4 V8 PCMs are only going to work with......5.4 Litre V8s

Thanks Jakka, looking into in more detail, it would be challenging. you are correct that the ECU will be different. Would be easier to swap everything over.

ECU.xlsx

On 7/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, jakka351 said:

Nah, 5.4 V8 PCMs are only going to work with......5.4 Litre V8s

You'd definitely have to use the 5.4 ECU & strategy, check for wiring differences & make changes where necessary. The main thing that might cause an issue is ABS. If you started with a base model RWD SX Territory, it uses the Bosch 5.3 ABS module as does the BA Falcon. As long as a different ABS config didn't cause a major conflict with the 5.4 ECU/VID/Strategy, a bit of manipulation might just keep it all happy. It might not either. Whilst it's not recommended, if it was driving ok, turning off ABS on the cluster to remove a light would be an option.....track car only
From memory MAXX Performance had some involvement with a Boss 5.4 into a Territory a few years ago. I wonder if the ABS was retained & whether it was a street or track car.

If I was going to try it, the first thing I'd do is look at body wiring differences to make sure all the body wiring is right, plug a 5.4 ECU in & see if there's any major conflict between the ECU & ABS. If there is a conflict, can it easily be rectified to retain the Territory module or is it going to be a major problem.

I am thinking that the 5.4 PCM is not going to work at all with the Terry ABS module. If it was a 5.4 PCM and ABS, no dramas. 

Edit:

The 5.4 220 KW engine OP is talking about is different to the later 5.4s I was talking about - OP's engine is a 3V 5.4, not an XR8 or GT Boss 5.4 4V engine so that may need to be taken in to consideration as well

Edited by jakka351

10 minutes ago, jakka351 said:

Edit:

The 5.4 220 KW engine OP is talking about is different to the later 5.4s I was talking about - OP's engine is a 3V 5.4, not an XR8 or GT Boss 5.4 4V engine so that may need to be taken in to consideration as well

Yeah, I realised the main conversation was about the 3v engine, not the 4V engine. I mentioned the Boss 5.4 because they use the same PCM hardware. All BA & SX that have ABS use a Bosch 5.3 system, so there's some similarity. If it's ABS only & not ABS/TCS over CAN it's usually not a major problem but ABS/TCS over CAN can be a problem. Still may have issues with a mismatch though. I agree, using the 5.4 ABS module on the Territory would solve the mismatch issue if there was one but may not work well on a 2t vehicle.
Anyone want to donate a RWD Territory, 5.4 engine, gearbox, wiring loom & PCM etc? I need another conversion challenge 🤣 have you got some spare time Jakka? I might need a hand 

55 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yeah, I realised the main conversation was about the 3v engine, not the 4V engine. I mentioned the Boss 5.4 because they use the same PCM hardware. All BA & SX that have ABS use a Bosch 5.3 system, so there's some similarity. If it's ABS only & not ABS/TCS over CAN it's usually not a major problem but ABS/TCS over CAN can be a problem. Still may have issues with a mismatch though. I agree, using the 5.4 ABS module on the Territory would solve the mismatch issue if there was one but may not work well on a 2t vehicle.
Anyone want to donate a RWD Territory, 5.4 engine, gearbox, wiring loom & PCM etc? I need another conversion challenge 🤣 have you got some spare time Jakka? I might need a hand 

I don't mind snapping a few bolts here and there. Is anyone willing to donate a SOHC 5.4 Crate motor from the states? I think theyre about $30,000 and come with 800 horsepower ready made.

• Haha 1

i would grab everything out of the XT. Gearbox, cluster, Pcm, engine wiring, abs module, icc, etc. Then you can try to keep all the electronics together. Maybe keys and locks too. Basically keep all the original running gear/ electronic modules together. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...