Getting Started for the DIYer

jakka351

Sorry hit post button early

Am considering purchasing a license. Am I in the ballpark with the basic needs required for getting started.

• Windows 10 Laptop 8g ram ssd hard drive
  • Tactrix Interface
  • Wideband o2 sensors

I have a Boss 5.4 (302) with a pcm that was flashed by an SCT tuner by BlackMac Performance in WA, who have since shutdown, I think the PyCM is locked, is this an issue? I cannot see any config or as built data for it on Forscan, only have the option to reset adaptations.

Also concerned about nuking my engine, common sense aside are there inbuilt warnings in the software that suggest a value is too high or low? 

16 minutes ago, jakka351 said:

Am considering purchasing a license. Am I in the ballpark with the basic needs required for getting started

• Windows 10 Laptop 8g ram ssd hard drive
  • Tactrix Interface
  • Wideband o2 sensors

That's a good start. Some tuners recommend knock ears & some don't & it's something else to consider.

Here's a link to data logging & setting up your wide band

I have a Boss 5.4 (302) with a pcm that was flashed by an SCT tuner by BlackMac Performance in WA, who have since shutdown, I think the PyCM is locked, is this an issue? I cannot see any config or as built data for it on Forscan, only have the option to reset adaptations.

Having limited or no access to a pcm that's been locked isn't unusual. SCT can cause some issues too from what I've seen. FORScan won't display as-built data for the pcm. Are you seeing the pcm in FORScan connection log or config tab?

image.thumb.png.a05f55f20271cca57f11cae6e0f125dd.png

Also concerned about nuking my engine, common sense aside are there inbuilt warnings in the software that suggest a value is too high or low?

Any changes made to a tune, can result in engine damage which is why it's important to data log before you start & understand what's going on. You can then make small changes, data log & see what effect it had & make adjustments from there.

I can see it on the config tab:

Adapter: ELM327 v1.5
Min.delay: 27 ms (Good)
Errors: None

Model: Ford Falcon Forte S/Futura/XR/XT
Engine: 4V
Capacity: 5.4L
Year: 2009
Month: 12
Generation: 2008 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Manual
VIN: 6FPAAAJGSW9E86101

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Bus: HSCAN
Part number: 8R29-14C204-CUT
Strategy : HAFDJT3
Hardware type: APS-222
Copyright Ford Motor Co. 2009
VIN: 6FPAAAJGSW9E86101

14 minutes ago, jakka351 said:

I can see it on the config tab:

Being able to connect to the pcm & have it show the VIN & strategy in the correct format is a good start. It may not be locked. You'll just have to read it with PCMtec now to confirm.

If you find it's locked after reading & you can't access the file to view, it can be returned to stock

• Like 1

I've tuned one of these with a CAI and catback and there wasn't a huge difference in power, even after the tune. The catalytic converters need to be changed to see results apparently.

There is a timing dip through the midrange that didn't respond to more timing power wise, but didn't knock either, when up to 5 degrees more was added to smooth out the timing curve.

I think the final number was 240rwkw.

So advice...you won't make huge gains by cranking up the timing so don't go nuts there, a couple of degrees will be enough along with smoothing out the middle wot timing. Feel free to lean it out to 13:1 or so as this is fine for a na vehicle. Finally, get it dialled in on a dyno after you feel like you've done what you can on the road.

Not fussed about making more power, car is probably as powerful as it can get without forced induction. Has full extractors and pipes all the way back, had a big intake but returned to stock as moved to sunny melbourne, plus throttle controller and short shifter. I am more interested in learning about how PCM's work and seeing what comes from poking around as well tinkering with random things like cutting the AC compressor clutch automatically @ full throttle and air cooling the engine via cylinder cutout in an overheat condition. Random but yep.