Forward facing plenum, bigger intercooler, bigger exhaust tuning

westo

Been through the forums and found bits and pieces of info in different areas but still need more guidance, I’ve recently put on a bigger intercooler and bigger exhaust, will be putting a forward facing plenum on over the weekend and wondering what parameters I’ll need to focus on, my car was tuned through a shop and since I downloaded pcmtec I’ve loaded the f6 tune onto the car, copied all parameters over and rescaling spark and SD tables, I’ve also upgraded to the workshop version one car so what should I need to data log, when putting the bigger exhaust on the car the boost increased a couple psi and also increased even more when I put the bigger intercooler on, I lowered the desired boost to keep it roughly the same psi it was tuned at but I know I’ve probably done it wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated 

If the boost came down when you changed the desired boost, it'll be fine and for all intents and purposes you've done it right.

If it oscillates at part throttle or if it oscillates coming onto boost, you'll need to drop some duty out of the wastegate duty cycle table. The scale is 0 to 1, 0 is zero percent duty and 1 is 100% duty. Try lowering it 5% at a time or 0.05 less in the map.

You might find that it'll hit boost cut on a cold night and if that happens, once again lower the wg duty cycle table. I wouldn't raise the boost cut parameters at this stage.

I wouldn't worry about changing anything for the plenum as there is usually only a minor difference in volume.

The stock datalogging setup is pretty good. One thing I like to add to it is injector duty cycle. One thing you will want for datalogging is a wideband. You can use a dlp8 to insert wideband data into your log. I'm sure there is a writeup on the forum somewhere.

Get some knock ears too as it's very easy for a beginner tuner to make these engine knock. Apart from that they are a valuable tuning tool, especially for road tuning on 98 octane.

There's a few fairly simple things to get you started. There is more to tuning boost control but this should help a bit. As always there is a write-up for boost control on the forum that you should have a read of.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

If the boost came down when you changed the desired boost, it'll be fine and for all intents and purposes you've done it right.

If it oscillates at part throttle or if it oscillates coming onto boost, you'll need to drop some duty out of the wastegate duty cycle table. The scale is 0 to 1, 0 is zero percent duty and 1 is 100% duty. Try lowering it 5% at a time or 0.05 less in the map.

You might find that it'll hit boost cut on a cold night and if that happens, once again lower the wg duty cycle table. I wouldn't raise the boost cut parameters at this stage.

I wouldn't worry about changing anything for the plenum as there is usually only a minor difference in volume.

The stock datalogging setup is pretty good. One thing I like to add to it is injector duty cycle. One thing you will want for datalogging is a wideband. You can use a dlp8 to insert wideband data into your log. I'm sure there is a writeup on the forum somewhere.

Get some knock ears too as it's very easy for a beginner tuner to make these engine knock. Apart from that they are a valuable tuning tool, especially for road tuning on 98 octane.

There's a few fairly simple things to get you started. There is more to tuning boost control but this should help a bit. As always there is a write-up for boost control on the forum that you should have a read of.

Does the data log have afr, and if it where to lean or to rich would I tune the fueling through injector scaling 

Have a read here for setting up the afr logging

There are a myriad of way to tune the fuel and slope tuning is near the bottom of the list and only part of how the fuel is adjusted. Once the injectors are dialed in, the only time you would change the slopes is when you change from 98 octane to e85.

The basic approach is to adjust the base fuel table. This will also change ignition timing too so be aware of how it is changed. You can also control the throttle percentage when the car goes from closed loop to open loop aka the base fuel table. There are other things to do but those will be the main things you are changing to get the fuel right.

The injectors have to be dialed in before you go changing other stuff or you will be chasing your tail.

Given that I've already directed you to info already on the forum, I suggest having a thorough read through the how to sections. You might find your answers before you ask the question 😉

• Like 3