EcoLPI Modding and Tuning

Tragilgas

Hello all,

I'm wondering what has been tried already in the way of modding and tuning with the EcoLPI platform. I've only read about one case where somebody has modded and tuned one, and it was done by Independent Motorsports who changed cams, exhaust and intake, tuned and made 190rwkw.

https://www.independentmotorsports.com.au/blog/ford-falcon-ecolpi-development/

Wondering if anyone has found the limits of the factory fuel system yet. Particularly interested in whether anybody has tried adding boost of any sort, but any info would be good. The cooling effect of the liquid LPG injection combined with high octane and high compression is an appealing idea, but not if major/expensive/unknown fuel system mods would be needed for 200+rwkw. Have heard of the Orbital LPI system being fitted to a BF GT with great results which suggests it's got a bit of headroom left. Whether all Orbital LPI systems are the same, I'm not sure.

Cheers

Not sure if you are aware or not but the LPI motor doesn't have the same rods that the other gas motors have which are similar in comparison to that of the turbo motors, the LPI have the same rods that standard n/a motors have and although people have made good power on the n/a motors I'm not sure how much boost it could take being such a high compression ratio of 12:1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, can I ask what the source is? Nothing personal but a lot of incorrect info gets around on forums.

Seems a strange decision for Ford to increase compression and reduce rod strength in the same engine, especially seeing as historically they've used higher strength ones in the gas engines.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Tragilgas said:

Thanks for the info, can I ask what the source is? Nothing personal but a lot of incorrect info gets around on forums.

Seems a strange decision for Ford to increase compression and reduce rod strength in the same engine, especially seeing as historically they've used higher strength ones in the gas engines.

Cheers

BarraDrifter is correct here - I used to work with the parts system used at dealers (Microcat Live) and can confirm that this is the case - you can call any Ford Dealer and they can confirm the rod used.

I've attached a file I created to reduce confusion back when I had full time access to the parts system. Hopefully that helps answer that question!

Engine differences.xlsx

I would think that half of it would be cost savings - but also with the smarter PCM used in the FG knock detection I would expect is much better than back in the days of the BA. The main reason for the change to thicker rods originally was due to backfires bending the rods, and it does appear less likely in the EcoLPI (although I never have worked with LPG myself)

Considering the brutal testing Ford put the engines through (48 or 72 continuous hours of interchanging between max power and max torque - can’t remember exact numbers) they certainly weren’t worried about reliability!

Edited by nat
Not sure why certain parts of my post are larger

• 1 month later...

Yeah makes sense.

I'm not worried about reliability either, have seen too many gas 4.0 falcons go close to or over the million kms with minimal maintenance and varying levels of mistreatment.

Despite the rods potentially being a weak link I'd still be interested in the potential of the EcoLPI with some mild boost, say 6psi from a positive displacement blower. Would make for an awesome responsive and torquey drive. Have no doubts the engine would cope if it was tuned well. The uncertainties are:

- Does the factory EcoLPI ECU/pcmtec have the ability to tune for boost (maybe a MAP sensor swap to one from a turbo needed?)

- Would the factory fuel pump and injectors have enough headroom to provide the extra fuel needed in liquid form to the cylinders

Cheers