BA 3V PCM to run 393w.

FIXR7

Hello,

I'm investigating the use of a BA 3Valve 5.4 PCM for use on a 393w in an XH ute. I would modify the harness slightly to use on the 5.8 engine and use as many if not all BA sensors. I've already made an AU style 36-1 encoder wheel and AU style Cam sensor. I'm using a BTR 4spd and I believe it's just a matter of changing the drive side of the shift solenoids via wiring harness mods to use a BA PCM to control? I can adapt a BA style throttle body and pedal assembly(is it possible to turn DBW off or is this too much of a code change to be possible?). Can the BA PCM spit out serial data to the original cluster or has that been deleted so they use CAN? I can also flash PATS out of the PCM before requiring any tuning software.

Is this a bad idea? Should I just stick with AU EECV and run a 1/4horse in realtime?

Regards,

Pete.

Not really a straight forward question. Might be best off taking this one to a workshop who has done jobs like this before, otherwise you risk doing everything twice. Retuning the speed density to suit a completely different motor will take up quite a lot of the tuners time as well, so that will get expensive as most barra tuners don't have experience doing full speed density recalcs.

22 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Not really a straight forward question. Might be best off taking this one to a workshop who has done jobs like this before, otherwise you risk doing everything twice. Retuning the speed density to suit a completely different motor will take up quite a lot of the tuners time as well, so that will get expensive as most barra tuners don't have experience doing full speed density recalcs.

Ok thanks Roland but, As usual I'd be doing everything myself anyway including the cal. I have discussed the SD tuning of large cams in 4V 5.4's with a couple of tuners who don't have a problem with the calibration.

Ok as long as you have a tuner that has done that kind of job before. It is not straight forward and I would budget several days to a week of tuning labour to do it properly with an acceptable result.

Drive by wire has been disabled by a few people, but they have not publicised how they did it. Drive by wire is better in all regards and can move faster than you can move your foot, so I recommend leaving that in place.

Regarding the cluster it is 100% can bus only. Speak to CANBarra, they make a module which can output the canbus signals to other dashes, if your dash is not canbus then you'll have to run a GPS speedo and cable separately.

The BA might have the option of an analog speedo output but I can't remember.

Thanks Roland,

Yes I figured the tuning would be somewhat time consuming.

I think I'd maintain DBW anyway. also makes it is easy to have cruise control without the extra module/cable.

Ok I'll check out CANbarra and investigate that speed output.

What are the average flash speed times when programming?

ba has vss out on b36 or you can just splice the speed sensor signal wire from the btr to the barra ecu at b7.

the cam sensor wont trigger correctly as it will need the same trigger setup as a 3v. 

the water temp and tacho can be taken care of by the canbarra module. 

• Like 1

the tdc signal on the cam sensor is the home signal, it signifies the start of a cycle, 

the 4v has a similar timing system so its no real advantage.

im working with some at the moment to add crank tdc offset and the settings for cam triggers to a couple of 6 cyl strategies, once he's done with that i'll ask about the v8 as i'm looking at doing a v8 ecu on my au windsor.

ahh true! i didnt even think of checking the manual to verify, i was just going off pics but may not have been correct.

if thats the case the same settings should be able to be used in a 6cyl cal!

2 minutes ago, misk said:

the boss strat would probly be a better starting point regardless, but you could also get away with just changing the CID config

Yes and from memory the 6cyl PCM’s dont have the extra cylinder drivers populated. 

2 minutes ago, misk said:

yeah all good, i'll just leave the box to be controlled by the au ecu. its just a 2nd daily so not after anything super.

with the crank sensor andf tps signals spliced it wont know any different

If nothing else. Its a good test. 

ive done plenty of barra swaps and sohc stuff off the barra ecu, v8 is something people have been asking about here and there but we wanted to sort the cam trigger stuff first to make full use of the ecu.

appreciate your addition to all this, in one section of the manual it states 3v and 4v both have vct and the same timing setup, i didnt even catch on to it being incorrect. 

just need to add the TDC offset and i think it will be pretty usable on random swaps for a bit of fun.

• Thanks 1