Ba xr6t manual strategy into auto ecu? need help

sd6

Hey guys, very new to pcmtec here, looking for a little advice. I'm about to do a tr6060 manual conversion in a couple of days. The car is a 2003 ba xr6t sedan with 4 speed auto and 3.46 lsd. What's the best way to go about getting the auto pcm working properly with all of this? Everything is completely stock tune wise. From what i can gather i should be able to use a mk1 ba xr6t manaul sedan strategy with some adjustments to get the cruise control working with the 6 speed? I haven't really done any digging into this yet, just trying to get an idea of what i am in for before i get the tools out.

Edited by sd6
Typo

16 hours ago, sd6 said:

Hey guys, very new to pcmtec here, looking for a little advice. I'm about to do a tr6060 manual conversion in a couple of days. The car is a 2003 ba xr6t sedan with 4 speed auto and 3.46 lsd. What's the best way to go about getting the auto pcm working properly with all of this? Everything is completely stock tune wise. 

I'd start by flashing in a turbo manual strategy. This saves all the headaches of getting all the manual parameters right.
If you use latest F6 calibration HAAT3VC, you can take advantage of fully independent cam timing. F6 was the only BA strategy to offer this.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sd6 said:

From what i can gather i should be able to use a mk1 ba xr6t manaul sedan strategy with some adjustments to get the cruise control working with the 6 speed? I haven't really done any digging into this yet, just trying to get an idea of what i am in for before i get the tools out.

You'll need to log the MTX pids to adjust the gear ratios, min & max to get the cruise control working correctly.

• Like 2

Sorry for the late reply, i figured i would open up pcmtec and actually read the file on the car and have a bit of a play with the software to get my head around it. So the stock strategy on the pcm is currently HAANFH4/32HK, PCM tear tag ABU-214. After looking at the software it seems this is as simple as importing a suitable manual tune and writing the flash to the vehicle as its stock for stock.

Regarding the f6 strategy HAAT0V6 / A3VA. It appears i need to disable auF12646 to stop the oil light being permanently on. As far as I'm aware f6 runs higher boost then the xr6 and has some changes to allow 270kw vs 240kw for the xr6t. This car actually has the f6 airbox and intercooler but is there anything else i should be worrying about or should i look for a stock mk1 ba xr6t 5 speed manual tune and adjust accordingly for the cruise control? I'm not a tuner i just want to get the car working properly in its stock form as a manual and then i will hand it over to a competent tuner in the future when i modify it.

Also as i have the professional version of pcmtec i believe i don't get access to the database of factory tunes? if so this is no issue i can get them elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, sd6 said:

Sorry for the late reply, i figured i would open up pcmtec and actually read the file on the car and have a bit of a play with the software to get my head around it. So the stock strategy on the pcm is currently HAANFH4/32HK, PCM tear tag ABU-214. After looking at the software it seems this is as simple as importing a suitable manual tune and writing the flash to the vehicle as its stock for stock.

Regarding the f6 strategy HAAT0V6 / A3VA. It appears i need to disable auF12646 to stop the oil light being permanently on. As far as I'm aware f6 runs higher boost then the xr6 and has some changes to allow 270kw vs 240kw for the xr6t. This car actually has the f6 airbox and intercooler but is there anything else i should be worrying about or should i look for a stock mk1 ba xr6t 5 speed manual tune and adjust accordingly for the cruise control? I'm not a tuner i just want to get the car working properly in its stock form as a manual and then i will hand it over to a competent tuner in the future when i modify it.

Also as i have the professional version of pcmtec i believe i don't get access to the database of factory tunes? if so this is no issue i can get them elsewhere.

If you've already licenced HAANFH4, you could change to manual strategy HAANFG4, datalog & adjust the MTX ratios. You wouldn't need to licence again as it's already using the same OSID.

As far as I'm aware, the intercooler, airbox & 3R23 rods were the only differences, so if you want to take advantage of the F6 strategy, you could do it now, change auF12646 & sort MTX ratios. The F6 strategy is my preferred strategy. Your other option would be get the tuner to change to the F6 strategy before tuning if you wanted to.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bill said:

Within PCMTEC, use the Calibration Tools > Create Stock File/Calibration Merge function

This is exactly what i was looking for, i had stumbled across this tab but didn't realise all you had to do is type in the catchcode of the particular file you want and pcmtec will download it. I've created stock files for both HAANFG4 and HAAT3VC and made sure all the vid block settings are the same as my auto file. Unsure which one i will use yet as i have already licensed the auto file, i do like the idea of the f6 tune though.

The auto is coming out of the car tomorrow so i'll see how i go once the manual is in. Cheers for the help!

4 hours ago, sd6 said:

This is exactly what i was looking for, i had stumbled across this tab but didn't realise all you had to do is type in the catchcode of the particular file you want and pcmtec will download it. I've created stock files for both HAANFG4 and HAAT3VC and made sure all the vid block settings are the same as my auto file. Unsure which one i will use yet as i have already licensed the auto file, i do like the idea of the f6 tune though.

The auto is coming out of the car tomorrow so i'll see how i go once the manual is in. Cheers for the help!

It is not official policy but if you make a genuine mistake when licensing we have been known to refund credits on a case by case basis, especially if its for the same PCM. Eg if you license the F6 file and find its completely incompatible with your PCM hardware for some reason etc. Reach out to https://www.pcmtec.com/contactus and put a ticket in if you need to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sd6 said:

You can also visit the calibration list in the workshop edition to open/compare stock files that way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that @Roland@pcmtec that's helpful to know. Little update the manual swap was a success and the tune side of things was easy with no issues. I ended up using HAANFG4 which didn't require licensing and flashed onto the pcm with no problems. All i needed to do was set the vid block settings to match those of the original auto tune which i did before writing to the pcm and it all worked. I still need to adjust the ratios for cruise control, it functions in 5th but not in 6th which was expected. 

The main trap for a newcomer like myself was just how to go about getting the stock files which @Bill cleared up "Within PCMTEC, use the Calibration Tools > Create Stock File/Calibration Merge function"

• Like 1