Incorrect TCM Strategy?

Barry

Hey guys, I'm getting a few issues with an XR6T of mine.

I have the following DTC's:

TCM: P1910-FF (Reverse Lamp Control Circuit Open)

PCM: P0701-60 (Transmission control system - range/performance)

The ICC is flashing the gears I am in as well (P,R,N,D ect.)

And, when driving the traction control turns off, and wont be turned back on.

(The car drives fine and switches gear smoothly, its not in limp mode)

Firstly I checked fuses, wiring and relays - no issues here. Which then led me me down a rabbit hole to the software side of things as, this vehicle was converted from NA 4speed to Turbo ZF6speed. (Everything was ripped from the car and transplanted -  Engine, trans, diff, all wiring looms, abs, icc, bem, ect.)

So at this point I'm pretty sure its a software issue, so I look at the TCM strategy and find that it does not match the car's original strategy, nor does the tear tag. I then checked the calibration numbers of the following: ZF03987 and auF1692. Both values were 0 - I don't know if this is good or bad.

So I believe these issues are being caused by a calibration issue, but I can't edit the TCM Strategy. So I'm pretty much stuck.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

(2006 FALCON BF XR6T)

IMG_4194.jpg

213.jpg

Edited by Barry
spelling

A5GF is a later release, replacing A5GE & the TCM strategy licenced is the correct match.

I'd start by checking the reverse lights are working & then check wiring condition & connection at the transmission connector. Make sure it's clean, dry, wiring pins aren't stretched, pushing back out of the connector, broken wires & that none of the TCM pins are broken/missing or damaged.

Edited by Bill
Incorrect spelling 🙃

Hi Barry

I have the same codes on my build with XR8 Motor and ZF 6speed. 

TCM: P1910-FF (Reverse Lamp Control Circuit Open)

PCM: P0701-60 (Transmission control system - range/performance)

Have you checked if your reverse lights are working?? also have you checked if you are receiving a earth signal from TCM Pin 14 off memory that goes to the reverse relay?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there sorry for the ghosting, I have been busy pulling the trans/engine wiring loom to look for any possible damage, unfortunately I have found none except for an exposed wire on the engine temp sensor plug. I have checked the connectivity of each wire going to the trans multi-plug and, everything is fine. 

I have also attached my .tec file.

XR6T HYBRID AXLERATIO.tec

Side Note:

For anyone wanting to check if their Transmission wires are good, I have mapped out which plug does what, and where they go. I have attached some images. (MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT ALL THE PLUGS TO THE ECU, THIS WILL MESS UP THE READINGS ON YOUR MULTI-METER).

TransPlug0.png

TransPlug 1.png

TransPlugdiag.jpg

8 minutes ago, Barry said:

@Bill thanks for the suggestion, I will try the new settings. Just in the process of putting the trans/engine wiring loom back on. Should be able to test either today or tomorrow. 

Let me know if that works. It’d be great to know if having them set the way you have them, it’ll cause the issues you’re having 

@Bill so my setting as suggested above where set that way previously so not the issue there, and as per @Barry I also went through all my connectors and wiring and found nothing. The transmission is not switching the earth/negative to the reverse relay.

The PATS switch was switched off by others as this was originally going to be standalone set up, bought as a package where you send you PCM & wiring harmess to them and they reprogram  PCM and Mod the harness. This was done like many years ago and engine & trans has only 60k on them.

43 minutes ago, Hermie said:

@Bill so my setting as suggested above where set that way previously so not the issue there, and as per @Barry I also went through all my connectors and wiring and found nothing. The transmission is not switching the earth/negative to the reverse relay.

The PATS switch was switched off by others as this was originally going to be standalone set up, bought as a package where you send you PCM & wiring harmess to them and they reprogram  PCM and Mod the harness. This was done like many years ago and engine & trans has only 60k on them.

Is this still a standalone setup? What's the setup?

38 minutes ago, Barry said:

@Bill hey there, just changed those settings and wiped the DTCs, no change :(

You've thoroughly checked the wiring circuits, so reset the tune completely back to stock so you can rule that out entirely. It's starting to look a lot like you have a faulty TCM.

@Bill not standalone anymore, setup is sitting in a 69 Mustang and running a complete wiring and modules out of a XR8 Ute 2007, still running the original PCM so the ZF 6speed still matches, will turn PATS back on when I have an extra key done as I only have 1 one at the moment also running a modified BF steering Column as well. You helped me out with a previous post regarding diff ratio and speed sensor settings. Still need to take it out to see if the speedo is working and hoping limp mode will be sorted.

26 minutes ago, Hermie said:

@Bill not standalone anymore, setup is sitting in a 69 Mustang and running a complete wiring and modules out of a XR8 Ute 2007, still running the original PCM so the ZF 6speed still matches, will turn PATS back on when I have an extra key done as I only have 1 one at the moment also running a modified BF steering Column as well. You helped me out with a previous post regarding diff ratio and speed sensor settings. Still need to take it out to see if the speedo is working and hoping limp mode will be sorted.

Haha, I didn't connect the 2 posts but do remember now. Usually if you're running standalone, both PATS switches will be inverted. It's odd to just see only one inverted like you have. 
Having only one key, doesn't matter as far as PATS is concerned, if that key was already programmed, you're running all the original modules & have the factory key transponder reader. 

The tune you posted during the week still has the speed source set to ABS via wire instead of ABS via CAN. Not sure if you posted the current version or an old one. You've fitted the original wheel speed sensors & ABS module, so it needs to be changed to ABS via CAN, or it will still have no speedo & be in limp mode.

Hi Bill

I have changed the speed source in the PCM, the file I sent was from my desktop PC where i can explore PCMtec and learn with out effecting any thing on the vehicle and the copy on my Laptop. ABS module has no fault codes had to custom make the trigger wheels and the front sensors are fitted to the rear and vise versa. Trigger wheels have the same amount of notches as per the original falcon ones so far so good. have taken it down the road and back for a couple hundred meters and back all seemed OK except for limp mode.

35 minutes ago, Hermie said:

Bill

Also the steering column and key are not from the same vehicle hence why I need to do a complete key reprogram, can this be done with PCMtec or is Forscan my best option for this.

You'll need FORScan for key programming.
Get a second key from eBay with transponder chip (approx $20) & get a locksmith to cut it (approx $30) but make sure they don't clone the chip.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey there everyone, just wanted to fill in everyone who had this issue aswell.

It was in fact a faulty TCM, so I just followed the guide found here: https://forum.pcmtec.com/topic/677-howto-zf-transmission-replacement-tcm/

Something to note is you can only use a TCM from the same series, for instance, my vehicle is a 2006 BF XR6T ZF6 so the only TCM's I can use without having to change the OSID are ZF6 Boxes from the BF series, this includes NA, TURBO and BOSS V8 - I used the TCM from a 2007 BF XR8 ZF6.

• Like 1

@Barry, Thanks for the update, i figured that's what my problem would be as well. I have de pinned the 2 wires from the Transmission at the reverse relay and wired in a temp ignition supply and  then added a micro switch natural  that switches when in reverse. Works for now.. How did you go finding one and how much?? mine is also a BF 2006 from an XR8. Would like to get this fixed properly.

Thanks

Tony H

@Hermie I picked up the BOSS V8 Trans for $700 it had done just over 110,000kms and was pretty much pristine. I'm planning on selling the Transmission on for about the same price, just without the TCM. Your other alternative is to find a transmission shop that is selling used ZF6 mechatronics, they may have a BF TCM, but even if they only have FG's or even Terrority's you can, for around $300-$400 get its OSID programed to the correct version from a third-party.

In total I was quoted $750 for a used TCM from my local Transmission shop ($650 if it was cash) however they only had FG TCM's and I wasn't going to sink another $350 getting it reprogrammed. So if you can, definitely find a used transmission, pull the TCM, and sell it on. Some people are selling them individually, but I found a lot available from people privately wrecking their XR6's on Facebook Marketplace.

If you live locally in WA, and wish to go the way of sourcing one through a transmission shop, message me and I'll hook you up with a mate selling them for $650 cash. (+350 for the OSID reprogramming.)

• 2 weeks later...