FG Mk2 2013 Xr6 Turbo tune

abs351

Hello Team

I have been playing with the PCMTEC software and has been a learning experience and great tool, It is very challenging and totally different to after market ECU's which i have worked and tune in the past. Mainly microtech's. I would dare to say I'm an enthusiast not a professional 🙂 . In the past I have been mainly swapping calibrations and comparing with factory values FGX, F6 and the like (ghost cam and burble ect).

Now I decided to change various parameters to increase PSI to see what the car feels like, i also added some timing ~ 1 -2 degrees in the map. The mod on the car is pretty much standard with a cat less pipe to remove restrictions the car has a rebuilt 64mm turbo and 12 psi wastegate done as the turbo has been rebuilt overall the core was replaced and rear and front housing machined to allow this to take place( i have kept the factory piping). the turbo was rebuilt by pro charge turbo chargers.. Removed intake muffler and installed a 4inch pipe and a KN panel filter. based on the changes I don't really feel the car laying power as I expect it. 

The car is a FG Mk2 2013 Xr6 Turbo with a ZF auto. please do see my tec file and kindly share feedback on how and where i can improve the tune. 

FG-MK2-XR6-TRBO-Stock-Orginal-17-10-20.tec

With the 12psi actuator, even with the Wastegate duty cycle zeroed, you'll see around 12psi of boost. I can see you still have stock fuel injectors installed. These won't really be enough for even 12psi of boost safely. You still have a fair amount of DC for the wastegate, i'm sure that'll see closer to 20psi, way too much. Also the desired boost table is to high (almost 30psi). Please get a set of injectors at least if you want to run around 12-15psi. You may run into valve float issues as well. 

You'll have to rescale the BLK and MBT tables as you'll probably max out the 1.7 load at over 12psi. also pull timing up top for high boost levels. 

Thanks for your informative input.I will re-adjust as suggested.

@Yamonda I thought desired boost is ignored in open loop boost control?

I'm in the process of changing injectors. Before I do so just wanted to see what's achievable. I will review and make adjustments.

@ Roland, yes I have wide band, values are 11's and 12's under load.

I have been reviewing many injectors, I would like to future proof them also. What is suitable and most suited to pcmtec community? I was looking at Bosch 110 lb injectors. With of course their data to input dead times and slopes.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122923419857  I prefer this injector due to its ev14 connector no requirement for adapters.

or raceworx

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122975255802

with gratitude

abs

Edited by abs351

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have installed the Raceworks  INJ-154 injectors.

https://www.independentmotorsports.com.au/raceworks-injector-1000cc

I seem to find limited information for such injectors, so I decided to use the following values as injector scalars.

Based on the attached TEC file, I reverted back to Closed loop with F6 Calibration parameters.

I have tried open loop boost control based on the values requested within the how to's for FG's but noticed the car doesn't seem to feel such performance gain. 

I will data log the vehicle next, would the lack of expected performance be due to torque reductions limiting the car's performance?

I have attached both TEC files, for open and closed loop boost.

Name    Value
Injector Breakpoint    0.000027
Injector High Slope    0.0296729FG-MK2-XR6-TRBO-Stock-HAEK4PE-F6-7-11-20-openboost-.tec
Injector Low Slope    0.03105904
Injector PW Minimum    0.00019

FG-MK2-XR6-TRBO-Stock-HAEK4PE-F6-9-11-20-V1.tec

Edited by abs351

Why would you expect a performance gain from changing injectors?

Why would you do a WOT run without first datalogging and scaling new injectors?

Why would you not put the vehicle on a dyno to determine any baseline before and after performance?

You need to scale your injectors to acceptable LTFT figures including datalogging with a wideband. Then and only then would you consider playing with boost control.

This is how you blow up a motor.

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your input. I changed injectors and scaled them prior to running and future proofing the injector sizing. I have managed to get the car to run well and no issues seen with somewhat stock values. My AFR's are within safe ranges when did road test observed for STFT & LTFT's prior to doing anything.

I'm playing trial an error, but its a gamble as to your comments, yes I may blow the motor  :)

As to your questions, I'm at the point to place on a dyno to see also, with a tuner, this is purely for my own knowledge and appreciate your concerns. 

thank you for your valuable input.

ABS

17 hours ago, abs351 said:

Hi Roland,

Thank you for your input. I changed injectors and scaled them prior to running and future proofing the injector sizing. I have managed to get the car to run well and no issues seen with somewhat stock values. My AFR's are within safe ranges when did road test observed for STFT & LTFT's prior to doing anything.

I'm playing trial an error, but its a gamble as to your comments, yes I may blow the motor  :)

As to your questions, I'm at the point to place on a dyno to see also, with a tuner, this is purely for my own knowledge and appreciate your concerns. 

thank you for your valuable input.

My bad I thought you were saying you left the F6 injector scalars!!

Definitely put the car on a dyno to tune the boost levels, you'll need to be monitoring for knock as well as the F6 will likely use different spark and speed density tables.