Cam control not responding

Kevspec

So car has been converted from na to turbo and been running fine since then I have upgraded the turbo and when we are trying to retune anything above 4500rpm cam control seems to be advancing itself and not responding to anything we tell it to do above 4500 under load. There are no faults at all and we tried another set of solenoids all no change

On 3/13/2021 at 11:48 PM, Roland@pcmtec said:

What is the cam angle error on the datalog? Can you post a datalog. 

Are you running stock cams and valve springs?

I will get a log. No faults crow springs bf turbo cams in fg gas motor. It was all tuned and fine before only thing that was changed was the turbo

4 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

I've had a similar issue where the cams wouldn't respond at all and were locked at -10. I swapped the solenoids to no avail and the fix for me was swapping the phasers/gears.

They work fine with normal loads but under full load there dropping to low retard 

2 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

It's possible the oil feed to the VCT has been damaged or blocked. I've seen it before. 

I would believe so if under normal loads wouldn't respond but it's only under full load above 4500 rpm everywhere else is fine

2 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

If you run spring boost pressure only does the problem go away? 

No. On low boost 7 psi it holds flat until the cam starts advancing then boost climbs with revs. On high boost 18 psi hold flat from 3000 rpmto 6200 rpm but power drops off aggressive when cam plays up. I am going to swap oil back to original 10w30 as besides turbo only other thing that is the only other thing changed to a 15w40

1 hour ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

So the cam error is the same on low boost and higher boost? Eg wot run, overlay the cam angle error and see if it's the same.

If it's worse on high boost then you likely have an oil supply or actuator problem as the higher the boost the more pressure/gain the actuator needs to shift the cam. 

1 hour ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

So the cam error is the same on low boost and higher boost? Eg wot run, overlay the cam angle error and see if it's the same.

If it's worse on high boost then you likely have an oil supply or actuator problem as the higher the boost the more pressure/gain the actuator needs to shift the cam. 

Issue is same no matter what boost setting is

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, Kevspec said:

No. On low boost 7 psi it holds flat until the cam starts advancing then boost climbs with revs. On high boost 18 psi hold flat from 3000 rpmto 6200 rpm but power drops off aggressive when cam plays up. I am going to swap oil back to original 10w30 as besides turbo only other thing that is the only other thing changed to a 15w40

How did this go after changing it back to 10w30, did it solve your issue?

11 minutes ago, JVK said:

How did this go after changing it back to 10w30, did it solve your issue?

Nope I think I found the issue. The cam solenoids are super loose in the cam caps for some reason. Wasn't like that when 1st tuned was fine. So it's just bleeding off the oil pressure supply and also noticed sometimes oil pressure does weird fluctuations which I'd assume is that bleeding off also then building back up

• Like 2