ford ba turns off when driving

05xtsleeper

hello i not long ago put a manual in my 05 ba xt i converted it from auto and i ended up finding the pcm i needed to complete the job it was from a 05 ba xr6 history unknown. i put the pcm in the car and did pats so i could start the car then i noticed that car had no speedo i ended up getting that sorted out. short time after the pcm got sorted i put the car in 2nd gear on the grass put my foot on it car went sideways i go to straighten up i was around 4000rpm but under 5000rpm and the car went into limp i turned off the car started the car it was fine i checked for codes another time i put on the brake and release the clutch i can get the rpm to drop and the car goes into limp turned off car and checked for codes and then taken the car on a few test drives to how the manual feels some drives were about 10 mins to 30 mins drives and the car drove fine no limp checked for codes on every drive. i ended up getting taken the for a 2 hour drive was fine most of the way there but i went to over take the car did the fine by the line i was in my line i noticed the engine light was on and the car wasn't running i had to turn off and start the car again drove the rest of the way there i checked the codes and the drove home fine but the second time doing the same trip the car was taking of from first to second and the car just turned off didn't even make it out of town this time but turn off the car and turn it back on drove the rest of the there fine so i check the codes clear them as i done many times before this on the way home it did just up the road from second to third so i data log it on the rest of the way home car drove fine. but today i went to the milk bar i live in a hilly place getting up to the speed limit the car just died turned it on drove drove home did the same thing checked the codes when when i got home and some of the data logs the cars in n and i have no idea whats going on with the car and car never did things like this when it was a auto. the codes that i have unloaded is the normal codes that the car gets nearly every time.

21-12-2021 04-11-00 PM Log.teclog 22-12-2021 03-20-06 PM Log.teclog 22-12-2021 04-10-29 PM Log.teclog 23-12-2021 06-36-22 PM Log.teclog 23-12-2021 08-30-53 PM Log.teclog 26-12-2021 04-06-48 PM Log.teclog 26-12-2021 04-12-36 PM Log.teclog 27-12-2021 01-31-38 PM Log.teclog 27-12-2021 06-04-33 PM Log.teclog 27-12-2021 06-16-50 PM Log.teclog 21-12-2021 03-41-06 PM Log.teclog drive to mk.txt

Edited by 05xtsleeper

hello i not long ago put a manual in my 05 ba xt i converted it from auto and i ended up finding the pcm i needed to complete the job it was from a 05 ba xr6 history unknown. i put the pcm in the car and did pats so i could start the car then i noticed that car had no speedo i ended up getting that sorted out. short time after the pcm got sorted i put the car in 2nd gear on the grass put my foot on it car went sideways i go to straighten up i was around 4000rpm but under 5000rpm and the car went into limp i turned off the car started the car it was fine i checked for codes another time i put on the brake and release the clutch i can get the rpm to drop and the car goes into limp turned off car and checked for codes and then taken the car on a few test drives to how the manual feels some drives were about 10 mins to 30 mins drives and the car drove fine no limp checked for codes on every drive. i ended up going taken for a 2 hour drive was fine most of the way there but i went to over take the car did the fine by the time i was back in my line i noticed the engine light was on and the car wasn't running i had to turn off and start the car again drove the rest of the way there i checked the codes and the drove home fine. The second time doing the same trip the car was taking of from first to second and the car just turned off didn't even make it out of town this time but turn off the car and turn it back on drove the rest of the there fine so i check the codes clear them as i done many times before this on the way home it did just up the road from second to third so i data log it on the rest of the way home car drove fine. but today i went to the milk bar i live in a hilly place getting up to the speed limit the car just died turned it on drove drove home did the same thing checked the codes when when i got home and some of the data logs the cars in n and i have no idea whats going on with the car and car never did things like this when it was a auto. the codes that i have unloaded is the normal codes that the car gets nearly every time.  

sorry i tired to edit again auto correction 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I seem to have the car sorted i flashed the pcm back to stock tune and had to edit the final drive to match what was stock in the car.

I still have no idea why it was just turning off during medium and heavy load somewhere in between 3000rpm to 5000rpm??, this is one of the codes that come up P1270 And is it normal for the car to go into limp by just pressing the brake and releasing the clutch?? 

I think I'm chasing fasle knock im running 91 atm the clutch is still not bedded in im about halfway there so the clutch,flywheel and pressure plate are abit noisy seems to only be in neutral i do have a noisy heat shield around the cat it is pretty loud can any of these set the knock sensor off car does weird things like cylinder cut as the car is driving???

Edited by 05xtsleeper

• 2 weeks later...

PCM is tuned at 95 ron, so if your running 91 it will knock - that said lose items near to the engine will cause false knock 

Put some 95 in it.

is your replacement pcm for an auto? is it going it to limp mode cause it thinks your going over the netural rev limit? just for fun make sure all your rev limiters are 6k and see what happens.

8 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Looking at that log your poll rate is very low (as its a BA with no rapid packet). I recommend removing some items that you don't need from the layout to increase the resolution.

What do you suggest i remove? yes the car is a ba. This might be a silly question what is rapid packet?

you can see in rpm its over 6k and you can see in torque source its engine speed limiting. That's normal.

just think of it this way, ba pcm is slower than bf/fg so the more things you data log the slower it is. So if you only data log the things you need you will get a faster sample rate on the data.

2 hours ago, 05xtsleeper said:

What do you suggest i remove? yes the car is a ba. This might be a silly question what is rapid packet?

In BF/FG you can use "rapid packet" logging which allows 16 items to be logged at high speed (they are broadcast so we don't have to keep asking for the values). When logging more than 16x items they are logged at single poll rate. Eg the editor asks for a value, it gets that value, it asks for the next value, it gets that value. So there is a lot of overhead. The more items you have to request, the more time before you wrap around and start again, hence a slower update rate.

Anything that is selected as "high priority" is logged as rapid packet (if its a available). You can select high priority via right clicking.

We also sniff various broadcast packets eg ECT and RPM from standard canbus messages, these are "Free" and we don't have to use a rapid packet entry or a single rate poll slot for these.

BA lacks rapid packet mode, it also lacks many of the broadcast messages that we sniff and finally the single rate polls are also slightly slower. So all round the logging is much slower on a BA.

What should you remove? Anything that you aren't interested in logging. Eg if you are looking at LTFT, you probably don't need to log spark values and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a couple of hours trying to chasing the fasle knock what the data logging is picking up sometimes I did a old tuning trick to lesson to the engine noises I can confirm that my noisy heat shield around the cat pipe can be heard from inside the  intake manifold. 

Is it possible to take away 2% across the board on the knock sensitivity? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 8:45 PM, 05xtsleeper said:

I spent a couple of hours trying to chasing the fasle knock what the data logging is picking up sometimes I did a old tuning trick to lesson to the engine noises I can confirm that my noisy heat shield around the cat pipe can be heard from inside the  intake manifold. 

Is it possible to take away 2% across the board on the knock sensitivity? 

cant you just fix / remove the heatsheild. 

• 10 months later...