95ron

BeerTurbo

Howdy

going to be taking the terry across the ol nalabour, ive allways run 98 in it but im thinking i might be reverting it to stock timing and boost and running some garbage juice 95 along the trip.

is reverting it back to stock enough, or should i pull a couple of degrees across the map also.

I will be towing the van so it will be in boost, but ive already knocked the boost back to gate pressure, 7psi.

love to hear your input on the matter.

Easy way is to leave it stock with the knock sensors switched on, this handles running 91.

If you want to dial it in further you could properly tune it for 95 using knock ears etc. The issue here is the fuel on the way to WA isn't the fuel you're tuning with, so imo is a lot of effort for little return.

If you want to tune it, do a test run with the van with 95 at your various cruise speeds and see how much timing it can handle there, this will give you your best economy and heat management. The knock sensors can take care of the rest.

Take a few bottles of octane booster as well for insurance. I used to dump a bottle of Nulon in the turbo and my supercharged xr8 (both BA's) when the trips from Brisbane to Townsville or return had no 98oct at a certain place. The turbo was obviously more knock prone but those were the piggyback and then early sct days!
I prefer boost over timing though...

2 hours ago, brettus said:

Take a few bottles of octane booster as well for insurance. I used to dump a bottle of Nulon in the turbo and my supercharged xr8 (both BA's) when the trips from Brisbane to Townsville or return had no 98oct at a certain place. The turbo was obviously more knock prone but those were the piggyback and then early sct days!
I prefer boost over timing though...

will be driving from perth to mackay, then back so will definatly be places without 98.

6 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Easy way is to leave it stock with the knock sensors switched on, this handles running 91.

If you want to dial it in further you could properly tune it for 95 using knock ears etc. The issue here is the fuel on the way to WA isn't the fuel you're tuning with, so imo is a lot of effort for little return.

If you want to tune it, do a test run with the van with 95 at your various cruise speeds and see how much timing it can handle there, this will give you your best economy and heat management. The knock sensors can take care of the rest.

is the spark map set for 98 roughly, n use knock counts to back down to 95/91?