e85 base tune

alexE85

hey guys, newbie to pcmtec, i have a BA barra turbo, mods are bosch 1000 inj. walbro 525, e85, 4inch exhaust and gt4202, unopened engine. ive used one of these threads input injector data, i was wondering if anyone has a running fuel and spark map tune to see myself around 350-450whp before the valve springs start holding open so i can drive my ute over the christmas break. its starts and idles on the given injector inputs. i couldnt understand the given spark maps for idle and drive (auto), its preset to 63° what should i be setting it at for e85? i have the profession version. i also couldnt find the input disired stoich and ethanol input 

hi,

You might want to look at changing your valve-springs, otherwise depending on the kms of the engine they could start floating as early as 8-10 psi.

auF0117 Stoichiometric Air Fuel Ratio, when using e85 try it around 9.7

your going to have to get your car tuned by a professional to create a fuel /spark map, there is to many variables and no one is going to want to be liable for giving your this over the internet.

there is a good thread here on understanding the SDT ford uses, this is how you get your car in the ballpark of the target afr's after changing injectors/turbo/exhaust/intakes.

as for spark you proberly going to want to pull timing if your doing it yourself, because without a dyno and knock ears your going to have no idea whats going on. with e85 you proberly wont notice knock until the pistons melted.

Ford have gone to the trouble of giving you an MBT table, so at least you know what timing you should never run past for a given load. Realistically most people go past the standard 1.6 load quite quickly though.

Ford have IAT and ECT scalars however these will fall over an no longer be correct for high IAT and large airflow, so as soon as you modify the intercooler and turbo you need to tweak these. You really need a dyno to calibrate it correctly. Some people rely on the factory knock sensors however this is far from optimal and you can still do ring lands over time due to the detonation that the sensors wont pick up.

Stoich for ethanol is 9.765

Idle timing is a closed loop feedback circuit so there is no spark value to modify, those tables are not used. If you want less spark at idle you need more airflow and vice versa.

You need a wideband as well otherwise you have no way to safely calibrate the engine.

Just pull 10 degrees out of the 1.4 load cell and above, It'll run like a dog and you'll have high EGT but that should ensure no detonation. Doesn't mean you can't kill the motor if you are leaning it out to 1.0 lambda though.

I would highly recommend disconnecting setting the boost controller to 0 gain until you can get a wideband in the tail pipe.

ok so now it idles good and drives good, AFRs are sitting around 11.8-13 on the guage, last issue im having is its boost cutting, it will go up to 7psi then cut out, just want to know if the preset tune will only allow it to go to the desired 6.5psi as per factory or if because its a gt42 it may be out on a certain table... otherwise might be an issue with the solenoid? ( i want it at 6.5psi)

43 minutes ago, alexE85 said:

ok so now it idles good and drives good, AFRs are sitting around 11.8-13 on the guage, last issue im having is its boost cutting, it will go up to 7psi then cut out, just want to know if the preset tune will only allow it to go to the desired 6.5psi as per factory or if because its a gt42 it may be out on a certain table... otherwise might be an issue with the solenoid? ( i want it at 6.5psi)

there is a verry good boost information thread on here mate, give it a read.

once it hits over-boost it will do forms torque reduction. so check your desired boost table and the overboost table to calculate the boost required before reduction...7psi might be low enough to trigger it at some stages as i think its 4.5psi over table request, but read up on the threads here.

in your case i would not have the electronic boost control connected and use the bare minium mechanical boost control avalible to you until you understand whats your doing.

look at your desired fuel table and you need to aim for something close to that.....so at idle your can do stoich and when your turbos on boost you want it around 11.8 afr and not overly higher....... and you will need to pay with your speed D tables.

but im with rolland, get a tuner to have a play first.

• 5 months later...

Hi...i had the same query and based on my resolution i didn't go for AFR and preferred the Lamba. I can say you should see the commanded AFR in the scanner showing a lower number commanded like around 11-12 afr because of the alcohol content. This is why lambda is better, lambda stays at 1.00 no matter the fuel you are using.