tablet/laptop tuning

dat111

1 hour ago, dat111 said:
hey everygody
just wondering if there any options around for tablet use? am i able to tune, datalog etc on a tablet?
do you guys sell the tablets to retail ( i saw on youtube) 

You'll need a laptop or tablet with a native Windows 10 installation. It must NOT be installed on a VM as PCMTEC recognises that it is & aborts startup. If you're considering a Windows 10 tablet, I'd suggest finding something with a decent size screen. Recommended specs below from the FAQ's
https://www.pcmtec.com/faq#image.png.313854a207b611df1f0564c922e752ff.png

Edited by Bill

16 minutes ago, dat111 said:

thanks bill. 

my laptop is:
Toshiba satellight L650 
Intel Core i5-400 Series
4 GB RAM
window 10 upgraded from 7

im sure its capable of datalogging, but would be slow to do it. 

I have an old Toshiba laptop that I resurrected from a cupboard a few weeks ago & whilst it was a great machine when it was new, when I compare it to my current machine, I really don't know how I used it haha. Another thing to keep in mind is the battery life of the old Toshiba. You could easily spend an hour or more out datalogging, making changes, flashing & datalogging again. My old Toshiba only lasts about 15-20 minutes without power connected. Someone else might be using a lower spec machine that can advise how it performs datalogging.

21 minutes ago, Bill said:

I have an old Toshiba laptop that I resurrected from a cupboard a few weeks ago & whilst it was a great machine when it was new, when I compare it to my current machine, I really don't know how I used it haha. Another thing to keep in mind is the battery life of the old Toshiba. You could easily spend an hour or more out datalogging, making changes, flashing & datalogging again. My old Toshiba only lasts about 15-20 minutes without power connected. Someone else might be using a lower spec machine that can advise how it performs datalogging.

thanks bill!! 
i do have a brand new battery for it.i can deffs understand that  datalogging an such has a heavy impacts on the battery 

The computer needs a decent gpu/igpu solution or it'll run poorly or not at all.

I've used an older machine in the past, a Toshiba satellite l300, and it struggled with more than a dozen items being logged.

With my discussions from support, there was a feature added to lower the refresh rate or something else to help it run better.

I haven't tried using it lately and is only use it as a last resort. New laptops can be had for under $500 these days.

In regard to battery life, I bought a new battery for $20 from eBay and it lasted for ages.

3 hours ago, dat111 said:

thanks bill!! 
i do have a brand new battery for it.i can deffs understand that  datalogging an such has a heavy impacts on the battery 

Yeah, the battery was just something else to consider when weighing up an old slow running laptop vs newer laptop. The MacBook Pro I use with Windows 10 installed via Bootcamp works great but it won't work if installed in Parallels VM which is why I mentioned that as well. The Macbook is probably overkill haha.
Older laptops don't handle resource intensive applications & need decent gpu as mentioned by @Puffwagon

PCMTEC sure is hard on old laptops. My battery will last 1.5 hours when data logging my Holden with HP. In the Falcon I'm lucky to get 40mins with PCMTEC. I bought one of those cheap 150W inverters from Supershit for $50 and can log all day now. Has saved me from having to bite the bullet and upgrade the old girl.