TCC Shiftmaps L, M and H identification

Mick

I was thinking that the numbers related to the load being placed at the time and thought that throttle opening may be what it was referring to i,e.  L =0=33% throttle, M = 34-66% throttle and H = 67=100% throttle

As a test yesterday, I made all TCC shift schedules the same so there was no interpolation or jumping between different schedules affecting the test.

I unlocked the TCC in 3rd gear so when it went into 4th it was in the unlocked state.

I then made the L column for 4th gear an oss so the TCC would not apply.

I then made the M and the H columns a number that should apply the clutch.

I ensured the unlock tables were adjusted so as not to affect this test.

I drove in manual mode, had TCC lock up in 2nd and then release in 3rd as I had it set, shifted into 4th at light throttle and no lock up as expected, but then accelerated harder while above the oss I had the tables set to. I expected the tcc to lock up at a certain throttle position as it moved into the M range. It did not lock at all, even at full throttle it did not lock.

so back to the drawing board

Edited by Mick

Try this,

Make sure to log transmission shift TPS (not regular TPS)

In manual mode only, set all unlock columns to 1

In 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th lock set all columns to 8000

Make 2L = 600, 2M = 800 & 2H = 1000

Gently take off in manual first then shift to 2nd as early as possible (before 600 OSS). Very gently accelerate in 2nd up to OSS 1200.

Pull over and have a look at your log. You should see the lock up start at OSS 800 and be completed by 1000.

This should get you started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have just tested and have found the following

L appears to be the minimum clutch lock up speed for the gear being used

M is when the lock up clutch applies state 1 assuming L speed has been met

H is when the lock up clutch changes to state 2 assuming the other 2 have been met

Thanks for the info, now to test and confirm the different states

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is fantastic guys. Good old R&D and putting it up to share helps everyone get better results. If you guys think you have it categorically figured out I'll sticky a howto post on it as its a common question.

I've never actually had access to a ZF 6 speed to do any testing on these gearboxes so I haven't been able to weigh in at all.

• Like 1