What wideband sensor to purchase?

kris.ford

Hi everyone, I have had PCMtec for a few years now and it's time so start logging. So what wideband to purchase?

I have a Innovate MTX-L and have gone through 3 sensors. They would last 1-2 months and then not read correcly eventually resulting in a E2 error. The bung is about 60-90cm from the turbo and I was carefull not to heat the sensor (Leave on ignition On) before starting the car.

I was looking at https://www.14point7.com/

What else is everyone else using?

It's important how you power the sensor. I use the AEM OBDII version with the optional 5V output connected to a DLP-IO8 so PCMTEC can read it. I have 2 of these, 1 on a VF and the other on a FG. Each car has been running the same sensor for years without issues. I did go through a couple of sensors way back at the start but I worked out why...

Never start the car with a heated up sensor! 100% guaranteed to kill them. Wire the gauge from ignition power, not accessory. Don't sit with KOEO. Just get in and start the car. Only time you'd start the car with a heated up sensor is for start-up fuelling tuning, but this will reduce the life of the sensor.

I've always wanted to give these guys a try:

About Us | 14Point7

• 4 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 3:12 PM, kris.ford said:

Hi everyone, I have had PCMtec for a few years now and it's time so start logging. So what wideband to purchase?

I have a Innovate MTX-L and have gone through 3 sensors. They would last 1-2 months and then not read correcly eventually resulting in a E2 error. The bung is about 60-90cm from the turbo and I was carefull not to heat the sensor (Leave on ignition On) before starting the car.

I was looking at https://www.14point7.com/

What else is everyone else using?

On 7/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, hjtrbo said:

It's important how you power the sensor. I use the AEM OBDII version with the optional 5V output connected to a DLP-IO8 so PCMTEC can read it. I have 2 of these, 1 on a VF and the other on a FG. Each car has been running the same sensor for years without issues. I did go through a couple of sensors way back at the start but I worked out why...

Never start the car with a heated up sensor! 100% guaranteed to kill them. Wire the gauge from ignition power, not accessory. Don't sit with KOEO. Just get in and start the car. Only time you'd start the car with a heated up sensor is for start-up fuelling tuning, but this will reduce the life of the sensor.

I've always wanted to give these guys a try:

About Us | 14Point7

Hey blokes, am currently wiring in 14point7's Spartan 3 with a Just Race Parts wideband gauge as part of JRP's kit https://www.justraceparts.com.au/spartan-3-can-wideband-gauge-kit-52mm.

You can tap into the HEGO 15V fuse in the engine bay fusebox. Or do what I'm doing and cut the factory narrowband O2 sensor off its loom and have the Bosch LSU 4.9 wideband sensor in place of the factory narrowband sensor, and feed the emulated narrowband output back to the loom.

You are bound to kill a sensor if it is heated BEFORE starting the car. The instructions for wideband kits specify to heat AFTER ignition.

Edited by Braydenapps

Not sure if the edit removed what I read earlier or if I was half asleep, but if you plan to power the wideband unit from the heater output on the nb circuit you might run into issues. There is an oscmod parameter in the tune for the heater output which suggests that the heater output is variable.

I installed this about 1 month ago. I never had any luck with the Innovate MTX-L. the 14point7's Spartan 3 with the supplied gauge seems to be working fine. There is an option to start heating of the sensor after the car has started, the owner of 14point7 says its not required and I haven't adjusted the setting to enable it yet. Just my limited experience so far.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:26 AM, kris.ford said:

I installed this about 1 month ago. I never had any luck with the Innovate MTX-L. the 14point7's Spartan 3 with the supplied gauge seems to be working fine. There is an option to start heating of the sensor after the car has started, the owner of 14point7 says its not required and I haven't adjusted the setting to enable it yet. Just my limited experience so far.

Gotta rewrite it actually as I am using common power and earth instead of separate, along with other half assed wiring just to get it up and running to test (works fine with some latency, should be fine after I wire it in properly).

Apparently heater power off the fuel pump relay is mint, was told on Facebook if the car stalls then the wideband will also not be heated. Currently have it running off the factory O2 sensor heater power, connected to the HEGO fuse in the engine bay fusebox.