Unknown PCM - PCM could not be detected via VIN or Calibration ID

Braydenapps

Hey all,

I'm using an OBDX Pro FT cable with my Ford Falcon BA MKII XR6 Turbo.

While FORScan connects to my car fine, PCMTEC brings up an error as below:

Unknown PCM

PCM could not be detected via VIN (????????????????) or Calibration ID ???

Please select recovery mode and manually select the PCM type from the dropdown

Unfortunately recovery mode does not work either. My PCM is a Black Oak, turbo & BTR, being a BA MKII. Apologies for my laptop being absolutely filthy, I nearly never use it and didn't think to clean the screen before taking a photo of it (could not be bothered to take a screenshot as I only really use my desktop rig with much better specifications).

Car had gone through a few owners before it ended up in my hands a few years ago, though a big name shop in Perth had tuned it (dyno sheet in glovebox) - paid them a visit and was told PCMTEC would have been used - in this case a tuner locked dialog should show. Was under a different owner name to the guy I bought it off, who apparently had it (re)tuned(?) - if so I have no clue if it was with PCMTEC or SCT or HPT as it has been three years since I bought it and I have finally got around to giving the car some extra modifications.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.c64094efac4a212b92daa742048dbe2e.jpegIMG_4097.thumb.jpeg.6013fc6655c14919371fb54cd2753124.jpeg

Although my battery has been playing up and I had to jumpstart my car to get it running - think it might be finally cooked.

Should I chuck an Optima yellow top in? Had a Century but cooked itself after two years - Supercheap Auto copped out and told me my warranty wouldn't be honoured due to battery relocation to boot (though everything has been wired correctly, good ground and 70mm2 cable with high rated isolator). I couldn't tell you the look on his face when he came out to my car and asked to pop the bonnet, then showed him the battery in my boot 😁.

Have chucked in a truck battery (800 CCA iirc) which has worked fine till recently.

Also just wired in a Spartan 3 wideband kit with JRP gauge a few days ago - will be rewiring it to mount permanently as I was just testing the kit which works (was using common power and earth, which they specify to only do separately). Don't think that is a factor.

BTR is cooked - drives but no reverse, all gear selections are stuck in drive (correct indicators show on dash) and reverse acts as a poor man's transbrake. With car off it simply rolls in all gears, no park. FORScan logs P, N, D as gear 3, R as gear 4. Tiptronic works fine. Have just got a hold of my spare BTRs so car should be back on the road as a daily soon - which needs to happen before Christmas as I'll make the 600km drive back to Perth from Kalgoorlie for my Christmas break to see family and friends.

Cheers everyone and thanks for your time :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hjtrbo said:

Looks very much like you have a tuner locked ecu by software other than pcmtec. 

I'll dig in to it. Have just bought an Optima D34 yellow top battery, which is basically the best money can buy. Plus being in the boot I don't want any fumes which lead acids produce - I had holes and tubing to vent anyways.

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/94692-ba-ecu-sct-locked/

Roland mentions the following "Go see a tuner with PCMTEC, they can edit the SCT tune or flash it back to stock at no cost, takes less than 5 minutes."  in response of OP saying "Went off to get it tuned using Hp tuners but tuner stated he cant communicate with ECU as its been flashed with SCT. I don't have the SCT as. I bought the car without knowledge of it being tuned."

That was back in early 2019 though. Not sure if anything has changed regarding reading SCT tunes since, or whether or not it will read locked SCT tunes. Found no information on HPT being able to tuner lock Falcon PCMs (though it can with GM PCMs).

6 minutes ago, Braydenapps said:

I'll dig in to it. Have just bought an Optima D34 yellow top battery, which is basically the best money can buy. Plus being in the boot I don't want any fumes which lead acids produce - I had holes and tubing to vent anyways

Remote mounted batteries need some care with install. I'd add module voltage to your log as well. 

8 minutes ago, Braydenapps said:

That was back in early 2019 though. Not sure if anything has changed regarding reading SCT tunes since, or whether or not it will read locked SCT tunes. Found no information on HPT being able to tuner lock Falcon PCMs (though it can with GM PCMs).

SCT is the pits. Rolls offers good advice.

Unlike tuning applications, FORScan doesn't care if the VIN is programmed into the VID block & will connect regardless of it being there or not. I can see the VIN isn't displayed in any of your FORScan screenshots. This is often seen in stock PCM's that have had the VID block programmed incorrectly using IDS or FJDS. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Unlike tuning applications, FORScan doesn't care if the VIN is programmed into the VID block & will connect regardless of it being there or not. I can see the VIN isn't displayed in any of your FORScan screenshots. This is often seen in stock PCM's that have had the VID block programmed incorrectly using IDS or FJDS. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen it.

Hey Bill is there any way to correct that without needing Workshop edition? I'm only on Enthusiast currently.

With respect to your original post, it's tuner locked fella!

Forscan 'might' be able to do a recovery write to it, but you will lose your tune. 

Get in touch with Brett at Custom Machine Works. He will refuse to unlock PCMTEC tunes, however I'm not sure of his position on HP / SCT unlocks. Whatever the situation, at the least he can return it to stock so you can get on with tuning.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 8:21 PM, Braydenapps said:

Hey Bill is there any way to correct that without needing Workshop edition? I'm only on Enthusiast currently.

From memory, enthusiast level doesn't allow for you to use the return to stock feature. I missed the bit about it not recognising the cal id. When it can't read VIN & Cal ID, it's tuner locked as per what hjtrbo has said. FORScan usually has no problems returning it to stock but you need to be a paying customer, have a particular version of FORScan & the factory files. If the VIN is missing from the VID, FORScan won't show the VIN section for you to write it & takes some knowledge on how to trick it to re-add it. 

If you want to retain the tune, Custom Machine Works is your best option.....if it's not locked using PCMTEC.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 6:04 AM, Bill said:

From memory, enthusiast level doesn't allow for you to use the return to stock feature. I missed the bit about it not recognising the cal id. When it can't read VIN & Cal ID, it's tuner locked as per what hjtrbo has said. FORScan usually has no problems returning it to stock but you need to be a paying customer, have a particular version of FORScan & the factory files. If the VIN is missing from the VID, FORScan won't show the VIN section for you to write it & takes some knowledge on how to trick it to re-add it. 

If you want to retain the tune, Custom Machine Works is your best option.....if it's not locked using PCMTEC.

I would assume it wouldn't be PCMTEC tuner locked as PCMTEC tuner lock is scrambled OSID and also online locked?

I'll try reflash HAANFHZ strategy via FORScan 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...