ZF Transmission swaps

Roland@pcmtec

Make sure these two numbers are equal. ZF03987 and auF1692. This refers to the "TCM calibration level.

If not the TCM will go into limp mode. If they don’t match you can sometimes change the PCM scalar and it will work, though this is highly unrecommended, the correct approach is to ensure the original PCM/TCM strategies have matching calibration level scalars.

If you attempt to change the ZF scalar it will go into limp mode. Do not change this.

This is not a full proof guide eg If the operating system ID is wrong, eg you have put a BF trans in an FG, you may not be able to get a matching calibration and you may have to resort to switching the mechatronics.

Under calibration tools -> show calibration list you can view all the TCM calibrations and their appropriate TCM Calibration level. You can search/filter this list to assist in finding a matching ZF calibration.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
9 minutes ago, dat111 said:

271436886_510290133609330_1762960719343528232_n.jpg

271444537_676397780438104_4935192021241989132_n.jpg

TCM Hardware is listed as being the same in both cars. I believe the TCM software/calibration in Tear Tag A5AE was superseded by the TCM calibration listed on Tear Tag A7AA.
Even if it didn't match, you can flash the new TCM with your current TCM calibration

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bill said:

TCM Hardware is listed as being the same in both cars. I believe the TCM software/calibration in Tear Tag A5AE was superseded by the TCM calibration listed on Tear Tag A7AA.
Even if it didn't match, you can flash the new TCM with your current TCM calibration

thanks alot bill :)

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I’ve got a fgmk2 na xr6 retaining the na pcm where they have :

fitted a turbo

swapped in a turbo zf trans

and it’s got a gas bottom end. 
is there a way to get this trans to work with this pcm?

pcm HAEK2AE

tcm 8R29-7J105-EG

pcm desired cal level is 12

tcm cal level is 4

thanks. 

11 hours ago, Jake said:

I was afraid that might be the case, they have already assembled everything and dropped it off. I’ll have to have a chat and see what they want to do. 
thanks again for the help. 

If you're going to use the NA PCM with the original strategy & external boost control, use the matching NA TCM strategy if you want to avoid ABS & cluster issues & then tune. It'll take more time than using factory turbo hardware & strategies but that's the cost of going NA to turbo this way. You'll need to pass on the cost.

Edited by Bill

• 1 month later...

The dash is flashing p,r,n,d,1,2,3,4,5 when in any of the gears.  I am NOT in limp mode.  The gearbox is changing gears ok, up and down. In performance mode perfect.  Only the dash is flashing the gear selected.  Dtc is throwing up B2681 (ic) PRNDL sender failure.  Car wont start in R and D so it knows the lever and gearbox is in good position.  

Now whats led to this a new gearbox with valve body.  BF2 to BF2.  The tcm ive put in 2 months newer than the original strategy 5r29-7j105-LD.  The new tcm is 5r29-7j105-MD.  I have mateched the numbers in AUF1692 and ZF03987.

As mentioned. Car runs, like there is no problem at all.  But can seem to stop the dash flashing. 

Normally on reds, i should see which gear i am in, but cant see it, only when the car is running, very strange. 

Any ideas?  

7 hours ago, Milanski said:

The dash is flashing p,r,n,d,1,2,3,4,5 when in any of the gears.  I am NOT in limp mode.  The gearbox is changing gears ok, up and down. In performance mode perfect.  Only the dash is flashing the gear selected.  Dtc is throwing up B2681 (ic) PRNDL sender failure.  Car wont start in R and D so it knows the lever and gearbox is in good position.  

Now whats led to this a new gearbox with valve body.  BF2 to BF2.  The tcm ive put in 2 months newer than the original strategy 5r29-7j105-LD.  The new tcm is 5r29-7j105-MD.  I have mateched the numbers in AUF1692 and ZF03987.

As mentioned. Car runs, like there is no problem at all.  But can seem to stop the dash flashing. 

Normally on reds, i should see which gear i am in, but cant see it, only when the car is running, very strange. 

Any ideas?  

I'd set auF1692 back to stock & flash the new TCM with the original strategy 5R29-7J105-LD, as per factory setup. As long as there's no wiring issues or problems with the replacement TCM, it should work as normal & rule out any possibility of mismatched modules. I'm also assuming the PRND issue has only occurred after the gearbox swap.

If you don't have a read of the original TCM, use the create stock file/calibration merge function to create the new TCM file.

• Like 1

Put the original strategy back in, don't change the strategy numbers. That is saying what the expected can data will be sent, not what can data is sent. Eg it's like saying "I'm using word 2019" then renaming a word doc from 2007 to docx. It might open, but it's by pure luck not by design. 

Unless by matched you mean both those tcm strategies already had the same strategy number. 

In that case it might be a matter of comparing the two strategies and seeing what is actually different, they may not be for the same model of car. 

If definitely recommend reverting to the old one and seeing if that fixes your issue though. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I'd set auF1692 back to stock & flash the new TCM with the original strategy 5R29-7J105-LD, as per factory setup. As long as there's no wiring issues or problems with the replacement TCM, it should work as normal & rule out any possibility of mismatched modules. I'm also assuming the PRND issue has only occurred after the gearbox swap.

If you don't have a read of the original TCM, use the create stock file/calibration merge function to create the new TCM file.

Thank you.

I will read the current tcm (newly installed LD) and store it aside.   I will then flash my original tcm (MD) into it.  I will let you know the outcome.

13 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

Put the original strategy back in, don't change the strategy numbers. That is saying what the expected can data will be sent, not what can data is sent. Eg it's like saying "I'm using word 2019" then renaming a word doc from 2007 to docx. It might open, but it's by pure luck not by design. 

Unless by matched you mean both those tcm strategies already had the same strategy number. 

In that case it might be a matter of comparing the two strategies and seeing what is actually different, they may not be for the same model of car. 

If definitely recommend reverting to the old one and seeing if that fixes your issue though. 

Hi Roland.

Strategy number remain unchanged.  I hesitated loading my original tcm coded "md" ( last two digits) into the working gearbox currently sitting with "LD".  

My pcm and tcm were originally

Desired tranmssion calibration =2 For MD.  You also have this in your pcmtec database.

I will load my oem tcm file into the tcm and advise. 

No Luck, still the same.

I have flashed in my OEM TCM File (albeit the serial number could not be loaded and pcmtec merged me a new file).

The TCM in the new gearbox was 5R29-7J105-LD.  The original TCM 5R29-7J105-MD has now bee loaded.  image.png.c4a48c84932297e5526728c96b2b2df3.png

Instrument Cluster is not displaying shifter position on reds.   When Engine ON and Running blinking "P"  

HADCHN4 TCM_serial_merged_from_6FPAAAJGSW7K64313.tec

Ive move the linkage position at the lever to no avail.  Posting my tune file in full to see if anyone has any ideas?

1 hour ago, Milanski said:

No Luck, still the same.

I have flashed in my OEM TCM File (albeit the serial number could not be loaded and pcmtec merged me a new file).

The TCM in the new gearbox was 5R29-7J105-LD.  The original TCM 5R29-7J105-MD has now bee loaded.  image.png.c4a48c84932297e5526728c96b2b2df3.png

Instrument Cluster is not displaying shifter position on reds.   When Engine ON and Running blinking "P"  

HADCHN4 TCM_serial_merged_from_6FPAAAJGSW7K64313.tec 1.35 MB · 1 download

Ive move the linkage position at the lever to no avail.  Posting my tune file in full to see if anyone has any ideas?

Looking at the Oak Strategies list, the correct TCM calibration is 5R29-7J105-MC
Try this calibration & see what happens. I didn't see anything in the tune file that would cause the issue.

image.thumb.png.6befc5ed0aea6c5e1914c41a04bae324.png

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

Looking at the Oak Strategies list, the correct TCM calibration is 5R29-7J105-MC
Try this calibration & see what happens. I didn't see anything in the tune file that would cause the issue.

image.thumb.png.6befc5ed0aea6c5e1914c41a04bae324.png

Well that is interesting.  Ive used my file from 3 years ago and it was MD.  

Extra information: when I put the new gearbox in and plugged it in, on Reds I could see P,R,N,L,D displaying correctly, this is when I decided to fill it with Oil as the instrument cluster and PCMTEC upload was all working.  Afetr starting the car the PRNDL IC started flashing, but it wasnt in limp mode.  I'm also now seeing with FORD IDS reverse circuit open.  Will check that out, as the wiring diagram shows both side of the reverse relay coil being controlled by the TCM.  

2 minutes ago, Milanski said:

Extra information: when I put the new gearbox in and plugged it in, on Reds I could see P,R,N,L,D displaying correctly, this is when I decided to fill it with Oil as the instrument cluster and PCMTEC upload was all working.  Afetr starting the car the PRNDL IC started flashing, but it wasnt in limp mode.  I'm also now seeing with FORD IDS reverse circuit open.  Will check that out, as the wiring diagram shows both side of the reverse relay coil being controlled by the TCM.  

The reverse circuit is as you've suggested, controlled by the TCM. I've seen people run into issues on conversions where it has caused issues but only on some TCM strategies.

Is the reverse circuit open due to an "incorrect strategy/SW version/Initialisation type nested circuit" or has it open circuit due to adding fluid. See some of the things I highlighted in the previous post. Changing the TCM strategy to MC should soon provide an answer fairly quickly.

53 minutes ago, Bill said:

The reverse circuit is as you've suggested, controlled by the TCM. I've seen people run into issues on conversions where it has caused issues but only on some TCM strategies.

Is the reverse circuit open due to an "incorrect strategy/SW version/Initialisation type nested circuit" or has it open circuit due to adding fluid. See some of the things I highlighted in the previous post. Changing the TCM strategy to MC should soon provide an answer fairly quickly.

Hi Bill, thanks for the assistance.  Loaded MC in, on reds no display.  On start up flashed P in park.  I've pulled my TCM off my faulty valve body and attached it to the cable i.e. let it sit there with the solenoid out in the open and attached to the PCM.   The original tune file in the TCM is MD, has always worked on this valve body so I am not sure why it should be MC.  Anyway I cant get it to show any PRND indicators by moving the sensor on the TCM. 

PROBLEM RESOLVED:  Thanks Bill and Roland.  Reverse relay faulty.  I was getting 100ohms then open circuit on pins 7-15 REVERSE Relay dangling under the ecu.  If the relay is coil is not there (faulty) the display will flash PRND123456, not in limp mode everything works, just the IC flashes the position.  With a working reverse relay the TCM sees the 100Ohm coil its all happy. Everything now working, displays all gears on reds as well.  The other good news is that TCM works with LD, MC, MD strategy codes.  Always check your wiring...

• Like 2