Overboosting BA

JMSMotorsport

I’m chasing an issue with a BA XR6T, Completely stock apart from a FG Turbo and a Dump back exhaust system. It will get to around 3500-4000 rpm and then just falls flat and cuts out. I’m guessing it’s overboost. If I zero the wastegate duty should this then just open under wastegate spring pressure to help me determine if it is boost cut or something else? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I’m having the same problem with my fg     Do you know if this protection feature completely protects the engine against damage as I think mine might have been doing it before I purchased it as it had a 3.5 in exhaust on it when I bought it. They say exhaust with no tuning can cause this. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/5/2020 at 7:00 AM, Nath said:

Hi I’m having the same problem with my fg     Do you know if this protection feature completely protects the engine against damage as I think mine might have been doing it before I purchased it as it had a 3.5 in exhaust on it when I bought it. They say exhaust with no tuning can cause this. 

the turbo has a smaller flapper for controlling boost, which is fine with a restrictive exhaust - however if you fit a higher flowing exhaust the boost is going to spike and increase as the std turbo cant release enough gas quickly enough.

for reference i had a Ba Na motor with the turbo gear attached -so yeah higher compression... but with the 3inch straight through exhaust and connections straight to the std wastegate actuator (4.5psi) the car was easily hitting 8 psi of boost before we backed off (it was trying to go higher but we also ran outa fuel)

lots of different ways to get around this,

for the stock look you can port the flapper valve to a larger diameter (std is 33mm and common to port to 37mm)

an external gate is a great way to control boost, ive personally installed turbo-smart 45mm waste-gates on both mine.

The new gen2 gtx turbo with xr6 housing has the option for a pre ported 39mm exhaust flapper.

• Like 2