Export datalog

On 6/16/2020 at 10:56 AM, Roland@pcmtec said:

Already an option! Change the file type when saving to csv or rawcsv

@Puffwagon Just note that if you have already saved and closed a teclog and then reopen and save to csv it will not save all datapoints in the csv.  Something like 1 out of 50.  Which can be pretty frustrating sometimes when you've logged and saved but not as a csv and then close it to realise later you hadn't selected the drop down.

Any chance of a preferences tab? Couple of items come to mind :)

• default for log save
  • default for whether to open items in new tab or not.

3 hours ago, finnigan001 said:

@Puffwagon Just note that if you have already saved and closed a teclog and then reopen and save to csv it will not save all datapoints in the csv.  Something like 1 out of 50.  Which can be pretty frustrating sometimes when you've logged and saved but not as a csv and then close it to realise later you hadn't selected the drop down.

Any chance of a preferences tab? Couple of items come to mind :)

• default for log save

It sounds like it is saving in raw mode, I'll confirm what is going on there. Raw mode only saves only the real values, not interpolated values. Depending on what you have logged there can be a 1 second delay between packets depending on how many items you are logging. Everything else is "made up". Depending on what you are doing this is better as you know only real data has been logged and not made up interpolated values.

If you want to ensure high poll rate right click and select "high priority" on important items. Up to 15 items can be logged on high priority which is roughly 50ms update rates. Certain common parameters like rpm and temperature are broadcast and will always be logged at a high rate as well. Everything else will be poll based and depend on the number of parameters ticked as to the rate at which they update.

3 hours ago, finnigan001 said:
  • default for log save

Can you explain a bit more for the default for log save?

You can already select "open new items in a new window". We don't persist this item as lots of people were turning it on and not knowing how to turn it off again clogging up support requests. Is that what you mean by default?

8 hours ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

It sounds like it is saving in raw mode, I'll confirm what is going on there. Raw mode only saves only the real values, not interpolated values. Depending on what you have logged there can be a 1 second delay between packets depending on how many items you are logging. Everything else is "made up". Depending on what you are doing this is better as you know only real data has been logged and not made up interpolated values.

What i was talking about is if you've done a log but only saved it as a .teclog closed pcmtec than reopened pcmtec.  If you then open the teclog and try to save as a csv then it won't save all the data in the csv. It's not to do with the poll rate. Matt has previously said that its not supported. Happens sometimes when out logging and save and i forget to switch to csv before saving.  Just means i can't do anything outside of pcmtec which can be frustrating when making the simple mistake.

Can you explain a bit more for the default for log save?

i left a word out. Default type for log save aka csv, teclog.

We don't persist this item as lots of people were turning it on and not knowing how to turn it off again clogging up support requests. Is that what you mean by default?

Wow... well that's disappointing. People doing that, that is.  Yeah it would be nice to have the option in a 'preferences' so we could chose. Every time i open pcmtec having to select it is annoying.  I know its a little thing, but it is a nuisance that takes away from the whole app.  A 'work around' is to leave everything running on the laptop but isn't always practical.

13 hours ago, finnigan001 said:

What i was talking about is if you've done a log but only saved it as a .teclog closed pcmtec than reopened pcmtec.  If you then open the teclog and try to save as a csv then it won't save all the data in the csv. It's not to do with the poll rate. Matt has previously said that its not supported. Happens sometimes when out logging and save and i forget to switch to csv before saving.  Just means i can't do anything outside of pcmtec which can be frustrating when making the simple mistake.

Previously save CSV from TEC was not supported (disabled) but I've since added this back in, but not really compared CSV files saved direct from a live session vs re-saved from a TECLOG

Save CSV/TEC will save per each 50ms whatever the values were in the chart at that time (even if there were no message updates). Rawcsv only displays messages updated at that time

If possible, can you post here one of your saved TECLOG files, which you then also saved the CSV from? And the TLO (layout file) you were using? I'll try and re-create here and see what I can do to improve it

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Previously save CSV from TEC was not supported (disabled) but I've since added this back in, but not really compared CSV files saved direct from a live session vs re-saved from a TECLOG

I thank you sir.  I've actually not tried the functionality in the new versions assuming this was still disabled/not functioning as desired. I've just retested and compared files and data and they are as expected.  I cant express enough how much better this is for me :)

Thanks for taking the time.

• Like 2

On 6/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, finnigan001 said:

I thank you sir.  I've actually not tried the functionality in the new versions assuming this was still disabled/not functioning as desired. I've just retested and compared files and data and they are as expected.  I cant express enough how much better this is for me :)

Anything else like this please post a bug report as well. Often people have issues for months and we are unaware they exist as no one tells us. The more information you guys give us the better!

• Like 1