trans swapping help

dat111

hey all, i have a issue with my box. looks like ill be replacing it soon. 
just wanted to ensure this is correct. 

make TCM file/cal from my box, put box in, flash my current tcm cal/file into the new box. an bobs ya uncle

both boxes are from BF 
ones a fairlane an the other is a base model XT (i know i will need to also reprogram the abs module using forscan)

3 minutes ago, dat111 said:

thats perfect! 

how do i check what version of pcmtec i have?
(still pretty new to all this) 

At the top of the top of the display, it'll say 1.25 if you're on the old version or 2.10 if you've updated.
If you're still on 1.25, go to the PCMTEC website, log into your account & check the downloads section.

image.thumb.png.3e97dcc2e3fe432fcef1f147d8d36241.png

You can also check by going to the Help section on the toolbar & then select about.
In 2.10, there's also the check for update option. I don't recall that being there in 1.25

image.thumb.png.7616fe07e4a5350776346d3e01e7d685.png

• 5 months later...

Hey,

I'm currently putting a NA FG ZF into my Turbo FGX. (Just so I can drive around for now)

I'm using version 2.11 and I tried writing to the trans and it came up with the merge dialog.

Then once it was done and I power cycled the car it shows Transmission fault on the dashboard.

I'm not too sure how to continue.

From my understanding you cant change the TCM over as the turbo trans is the first gen ZF, and the NA trans is a second gen ZF.

The trans slips trying to go into 4, 5 or 6 and fails every time now.

I think it's the E clutch worn out?

I used Penrite BMV after installing an external trans cooler and it started happening a few weeks later.

PS. The old standard heat exchanger never milkshaked so it cant be water that caused the issue.

Short version: You used the wrong farken oil and you didn't fill it up enough.

Long version: If it wasn't playing up before that work, the box may well be fine and there are a few things to check before swapping the transmission.

For starters use an oil that the zf is happy with, either genuine lifeguard or Gulf Western Syn-ts. I've had good results with Nulon as well.

Make sure that the filter is fitted properly, it is easy enough to forget the seal or use two seals when there should be one. If the filter falls into the pan there will be issues.

You will need to make 100% sure that there is enough oil in the box. Despite me telling plenty of people how to do it properly, I have always come across arguments that will result in a low oil condition. From dead cold and dead level, open the drain plug and start filling, when it comes out have someone start the engine, drop it into drive with the handbrake on and foot on the brake and continue filling until it comes out again. Pump a few more pumps into it and get the plug done up straight away. If you didn't do it like this, your oil level will be borderline low/ok and the box will more than likely play up. Even if you did it like this check the level again, as it's cheaper and easier to check the level than swapping the transmission.

I have personally seen an apparently stuffed box, slipping in gear, not shifting etc, come good after a filter and fluid change, with the correct amount of fluid in it.

Anyhow there's that, your box might be ok if you didn't let it slip too much. You might need to do a flush/couple of changes to get all of the penrite out of it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

You used the wrong farken oil and you didn't fill it up enough.

Yeah bad oil. It was approved for the ZF but I guess it has problems.

Also I did fill it up properly. get it to 30-40c. Then go through park, reverse, drive, second gear and then back to park. Then filled it while still running.

5 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Make sure that the filter is fitted properly, it is easy enough to forget the seal or use two seals when there should be one. If the filter falls into the pan there will be issues.

I never took off the oil pan, and only topped it up with that Penrite with around a litre after the oil cooler.

7 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

You will need to make 100% sure that there is enough oil in the box. Despite me telling plenty of people how to do it properly, I have always come across arguments that will result in a low oil condition. From dead cold and dead level, open the drain plug and start filling, when it comes out have someone start the engine, drop it into drive with the handbrake on and foot on the brake and continue filling until it comes out again. Pump a few more pumps into it and get the plug done up straight away. If you didn't do it like this, your oil level will be borderline low/ok and the box will more than likely play up. Even if you did it like this check the level again, as it's cheaper and easier to check the level than swapping the transmission.

I did check the oil a few weeks after, and I could put in another 200-400mls until it started seeping out again.

8 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

I have personally seen an apparently stuffed box, slipping in gear, not shifting etc, come good after a filter and fluid change, with the correct amount of fluid in it.

The bad thing is it got worse after around 2 weeks, it started off slightly slipping going into 4th, now it will not at all even after being off throttle for 10 seconds and then letting it idle trying to grab that clutch.

One really weird note to mention, once it was in 4th gear shifting to 5 and 6 was fine, which makes sense with the way the E clutch is used. But even under high load around 400kw in 4th gear it wouldn't slip at all. The only time it ever slipped was going from 3rd to 4th.

I feel like the trans is done in its current form, in my opinion.

Just now, Dolan said:

Also I did fill it up properly. get it to 30-40c.

This is not how you fill it properly. If you let it warm up, the level will be too low. Ignore what the manual says and fill it from dead cold with the right fluid. I know this is the right way to do it from my experience and also the experience of other decades long qualified mechanics.

3 minutes ago, Dolan said:

I feel like the trans is done in its current form, in my opinion.

Not to be rude mate but you don't know how to fill the trans properly and you don't know what type of fluid to use, how can you possibly know whether it's stuffed or not?

My advice is to rectify the fluid, set the level from dead cold as per my previous post and see if it comes back after some driving.

Anyhow you do you mate.

• Like 2