Throttle response

SKD

has anyone had much luck in tuning the throttle to make it super responsive? have played around with auF0083 to improve the response which seemed to work but ran into the issue of as soon as i started driving it would cut out, throw the etc light and limit the rpm and start running rough when idling. Is there another parameter that would conflict the change and cause things to wig out? car is also a manual if it helps

throttle position modified.PNG

throttle position stock.PNG

Edited by SKD

Yes there are some IPC tables that need to be modified as well. I don't have them off the top of my head but look for throttle, IPC etc.

If you datalog the DTC fault code when it occurs I can look backwards to try and get you the exact tables required.

Do you have workshop edition? Many of these parameters are likely hidden away in the development section due to the fact they can be dangerous if modified. A bit of background, IPC stands for independent plausibility check (I think) and is meant to cut the throttle if the PCM sees it doing anything unexpected.  Eg if the throttle is shut but you have full airflow and 5000 rpm, chances are the intake manifold has split and you have a run away engine. So they put tables and scalars in to constantly check if the current airflow/torque/rpm is plausible for the requested throttle position.

This might be one of them you need auF1588. Make sure to test this on a dyno in a controlled environment, if the throttle runs away from you you need to be sure that you can control the vehicle safely. You do not want to be messing with this stuff on the street as a run away throttle can put you in a very dangerous situation.

image.png.0401a6e63494c3c32c8a8f3f43498833.png

Also you should try this parameters for making the throttle snappier. auF0067 this is basically a rolling average filter that smooths/lags the throttle input in lower gears to make carpark driving as smooth as possible. Helps reduce bunny hopping and drive train clunks.

image.png.fab256f24af84c6816a73b3b20695166.png

• Thanks 1

Only have professional, I'll have a look at logging the dtc and get back to you. As for the two tables you suggested the first one I haven't got access to a dyno to test and the second one I'm guessing that the digits it's using 0.05% of full throttle when its open enough to cruise through a carpark? 

gotcha, that makes a lot more sense so essentially for a very snappy throttle you would want the value closer to 1 correct? also i just finished logging the dtc and these are what i got. what would likely be the cause for triggering rev limiter and the rpm guard?

code 1.PNG

code 2.PNG

18 hours ago, hjtrbo said:

Sorry fellas for chiming in, just wondering what throttle position fraction is? Is it 0-1 = 0-100%TPS

MID31848 = auF0085(MID69519) / auF10467

Throttle fraction = tps_ad_2_throttle_pos(tps_ad_count) / throttle_max

19 hours ago, SKD said:

gotcha, that makes a lot more sense so essentially for a very snappy throttle you would want the value closer to 1 correct? also i just finished logging the dtc and these are what i got. what would likely be the cause for triggering rev limiter and the rpm guard?

Those codes are fairly generic unfortunately but I'm confident it would be the RPM guard.

• Thanks 1

So instead of Messing around with my original idea to make the throttle more responsive I had a play with the auf0067 table and tried the parameters in your example above and it's made quite a difference. Gonna have a play with it today and get it a bit more aggressive down low. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 1/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, SKD said:

has anyone had much luck in tuning the throttle to make it super responsive? have played around with auF0083 to improve the response which seemed to work but ran into the issue of as soon as i started driving it would cut out, throw the etc light and limit the rpm and start running rough when idling. Is there another parameter that would conflict the change and cause things to wig out? car is also a manual if it helps

throttle position modified.PNG

throttle position stock.PNG

I've never had much luck changing the throttle angle and throttle position without eventually getting a throttle error. I just leave them alone now.

Ill have a play with auF1588 and auF0067  thanks Rolland

auF1588 normal tunes vs a F6 tune, verry different.

image.png.08e7c7450b349572dc7d3b0188026d0d.png

You need to adjust the IPC tables which are designed to prevent run away throttle due to an intake manifold leak if you vastly change the throttle angles. Compare a supercharged v8 vs an NA v8/I6 to get some ideas of what Ford change in this area.

I've never had a vehicle to actually test this on however what I would do is make the tables more restrictive to induce an FMEM/Limp mode in normal driving, that way you know you've found the correct map/table. Then increase it slightly in the area you need to get the throttle angle you want.

The supercharged motors are good ones to look at as they have massive airflow at low rpm/throttle.

Obviously be careful with this as its a safety feature. If you run a dodgy TB relocation kit with clamps post TB and the clamps come off, the IPC is what will kill injection to stop run away throttle. This will save your life so ensure any testing is done in a safe controlled environment.

auF12805 is what you would want to change from a guess. You could datalog the PIP counter and requested throttle change to see what the limit should be for your throttle map. Datalog only 3 or 4 things (eg PPS delta, rpm, pedal AD, torque source (for when FMEM kicks in) to ensure you are logging at high enough resolution to see this.