micro-controller using CAN bus data for ancillary control

2X044

Ah I see, you weren't asking how to interface with the factory system to change it, you were talking about how to design a closed loop boost controller. I worked of the premise that you were talking about the original idea of engine safety strategies.

13 hours ago, 2X044 said:

If you are making significant boost by 1500 rpm you need a bigger turbo.

Like this one?

jjVY9xd.jpg

• Like 1

i actually asked turbosmart if they could read the falcon canbus for the rpm for there boost controllers & read the can bus for tq reductions to fire there electronic bovs but they said it wasn't worthwhile. that's was easily 2 years ago now.

are you able to look into getting a controller to read the canbus instead of reading the sensors directly ? cause thats is a dickload of wiring. 

21 hours ago, BeerTurbo said:

Qre you able to look into getting a controller to read the canbus instead of reading the sensors directly ? cause thats is a dickload of wiring. 

Do you have 200k? No one is going to look at it for less than that. Competent engineers are very expensive, then to make a business case to pull them off another job that's more profitable... 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:46 PM, BeerTurbo said:

i actually asked turbosmart if they could read the falcon canbus for the rpm for there boost controllers & read the can bus for tq reductions to fire there electronic bovs but they said it wasn't worthwhile. that's was easily 2 years ago now.

are you able to look into getting a controller to read the canbus instead of reading the sensors directly ? cause thats is a dickload of wiring. 

I am taking RPM direct from the canbus.

This thread is a little complicated as there is two (almost) entirely separate ideas being developed as time and parts permit.

1 - An engine protection system that shuts down the engine if low oil pressure or low fuel pressure is detected.

2 - A boost controller for the NA + T crowd.

The sensor wiring I have mentioned previously is, at this stage all for an engine protection system.

The challenge that I have currently with the boost controller is that I have not found all the data required to mimic the factory closed-loop control published to the canbus. I can request the information from the PCM through the canbus but that creates other problems. Regarding the boost controller, I am going to get it working as an open loop controller that uses the available information (rpm, gear, throttle position, wheel slip) and see how it goes.

Next thing I need is for someone to drive my car while I see what the factory boost control system is doing on an oscilloscope (what PWM frequency is being used, what voltage is being used etc.). The weather is terrible though so it will have to wait.

Surprisingly my wife didn't want to drive my car at WOT for extended periods while I measured this stuff.

I hit up a mate today to drive while I fought the oscilloscope.

I saved this from one of the runs, ignore the peaks as they aren't real. Using the period for the 5 waves gives a PWM frequency of 40 Hz and the signal is the full car battery voltage. The PCM grounds one of the wires just like for injectors etc. Easy!

image.thumb.png.0b0d2679c293c8447ff3c86e3e77b251.png