Territory Intermittent Coil Failure

abs351

Greetings,

I have a 06 Nov build Territory Turbo Ghia, with an issue prior. I diagnosed being the coils, of which the car under load will just breakdown in high RPM and trans will make a big bang , dash lights come up and speedo will stop working, once dash lights disappear after a split second (ABS, DSC, Traction control) car will operate again as normal, but no speedo..no DTC errors appear also. I have chased this issue down to being coils...once changed all working well.

Other day I gave the car a boot full, back fired at high rpm between gear changed and started to miss. Thought I hurt the motor, but cylinder 6 coil failed. I replaced and off we go again with no issues.. gave it a boot full again and the phenomenon of trans banging and losing speedo appeared..So I suspect another coil is playing up.. if you drive car under normal load..all fine..moment you lean on it, reappears.. spark plugs are checked and gapped to .7 

question...is there a way to load test the coils? Or what is the underlying issue if anyone seen such problem?

I know how to address, just replace all coils,but I want to trouble shoot which one and what's causing this..I suspect a high current or Spike in voltage causing this... Original set was factory, second set was old non genuine laying around..I replaced cylinder six with a genuine.

Regards

Abz

As it's intermittent you need to have a scope hooked up logging. You'd be looking at the voltage at the connector as well as the current. When it breaks down you'll clearly see it. Pico scope do nice gear for auto applications. Cheaper to buy new genuine coils. 

Thanks brother for the reply, yes that's an idea to consider. I have a scope to test with. I have 6 coils to test under load..I may just swap one at a time to see if it's one or a few.. irrespective simple option replace all of them again.

Thank you for your input.

Abz

On 10/14/2022 at 8:59 AM, abs351 said:

Greetings,

I have a 06 Nov build Territory Turbo Ghia, with an issue prior. I diagnosed being the coils, of which the car under load will just breakdown in high RPM and trans will make a big bang , dash lights come up and speedo will stop working, once dash lights disappear after a split second (ABS, DSC, Traction control) car will operate again as normal, but no speedo..no DTC errors appear also. I have chased this issue down to being coils...once changed all working well.

Other day I gave the car a boot full, back fired at high rpm between gear changed and started to miss. Thought I hurt the motor, but cylinder 6 coil failed. I replaced and off we go again with no issues.. gave it a boot full again and the phenomenon of trans banging and losing speedo appeared..So I suspect another coil is playing up.. if you drive car under normal load..all fine..moment you lean on it, reappears.. spark plugs are checked and gapped to .7 

question...is there a way to load test the coils? Or what is the underlying issue if anyone seen such problem?

I know how to address, just replace all coils,but I want to trouble shoot which one and what's causing this..I suspect a high current or Spike in voltage causing this... Original set was factory, second set was old non genuine laying around..I replaced cylinder six with a genuine.

Regards

Abz

Probably a result of incorrectly copying a tune not designed for the car...

Just to be a nitpicker here - things can't intermittently fail. Failure is permanent, so if your issue is intermittent. it is not a failure. Ignition Coils playing up will causes misfires but shouldn't the transmission make a bang sound. Did that sound a bit like the engine revving up and then it going clunk as it changed gears?

If the coils have been replaced, possible that they were replaced with fake parts? These are rife on ebay on online stores. 

Also if you have a suspected failed coil easiest way to test is to swap it to a different cylinder and you should see the problem follow the suspect coil. If the problem doesn't move with the part then your problem is suspect. 

Hey Mate

i think ive posted this information on here before, but ill do it again in case. I have a barra r31 bf mk na motor/na zf trans combo with a china gt45.. this has a can barra to emulate speed... everything works fairly well and I skid it on the regular.

a couple of months ago i had this issue where as it would get near onto full boost the trans would just go into limp mode. This was not all the time, but it was pretty common. The car actually ran fine and never misfired. 

I went through checking the canbarra / wiring, even tested the coils. loweing the boost, change plugs - all the normal crap.

One time it did it i noticed the speed went away. so i contacted nigel from canbarra to see if i could test the unit.

he said he saw a couple of cars b series/zfs where this would happen due to RMI from the coils killing the canbus comms, puting trans in limp mode.

I thought to myself if its RF ill shield the ZF wiring and separate it - i did  an ok job at that - but it was still the same issue.

I changed the coils to brand new genuine (even tho they olds ones tested restance the same as the new ones) but the issue went away instantly.

Nigel also mentioned the he had not heard of this issue on the Fg combos, so he suspected they did something different in the wiring.