questions - zf6

dat111

i couldnt find much posted about the stuff above an what they do an what they do.. also does anybody have any information on what the nominal slip times do?
i couldnt find much even with keywoard searching 

Edited by dat111

14 minutes ago, dat111 said:

hey mate. which one is ON going clutch pressure?

E.g. Pretty sure for 2-3 ZF00607 is oncoming pressure. Be very careful adjusting this. If you ramp it in to hard you will tie up with the offgoing clutch.  

The theory would be to reduce WOT row shift time 5% at a time and closely monitor the log for WOT shifts. It will adapt to a point, but may run out of adaption. At that point you would increase the oncoming pressure and / or line pressure. At some point you will not be able to go any faster.

I haven't got around to testing the theory above and log the adapts to see if I'm on the right track.  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:25 PM, hjtrbo said:

E.g. Pretty sure for 2-3 ZF00607 is oncoming pressure. Be very careful adjusting this. If you ramp it in to hard you will tie up with the offgoing clutch.  

The theory would be to reduce WOT row shift time 5% at a time and closely monitor the log for WOT shifts. It will adapt to a point, but may run out of adaption. At that point you would increase the oncoming pressure and / or line pressure. At some point you will not be able to go any faster.

I haven't got around to testing the theory above and log the adapts to see if I'm on the right track.  

What Adapts are you logging exactly for this time of stuff? 

@G6ETURBO I haven't bothered to look for all yet. If my trans ever starts playing up I'll look for them... You might be able to find them. If you do, please log it and we'll see if we can make sense of it. Spending a lot of time lately concentrating on my VF LSA as I gave it a big fuel pump / system upgrade with new injectors and flex sensor. Oh how I love e85! 

Next time your hooked up to the trans, look for something along the lines of...

Clutch xyz Adaption Value Charge Pressure in mBar

Clutch xyz Count: Adaption Cycles Charge Pressure

Clutch xyz Adaption Value Quick Charge Time in ms

Clutch xyz Count: Adaption Cycles Quick Charge Time

attached is 2 logs. since i have did this, i played around with the tune. an have went back to stock. upped the line pressure. in 5 an 6 by 10%. an it seems to be hold just fine. 
i also have serviced done bridge seal, etc etc.

with the clutch adaptions are they the holy bible on wear? or are they just a "guide" clutch E hasnt changed.  but i havent cant reset the adaptions (as ive only got pro)  
any feedback would be appreciated 

gett.teclog ge.teclog

Edited by dat111

I wish I could give you the gospel. I cannot. I can only rely on professional service technicians advice that is very widely populated on YouTube (disclaimer: am I spreading internet mis information >>> I can't back this up as I do not have the experience) that the adaption values overall provide the health of the transmission. They won't tell you what exact part has failed, but they can tell if the box is healthy. For example if the E clutch adaptions are maxed and you have problems with that shift then it is fair to say the computer has tried all it can to maintain the quality of that shift but can no longer do so. Logic tells me the adapts are the go to for lifecycle information.

With regards to adaption value changes, I have seen these parameters that leads me to strongly believe it is important to install a trans cooler thermostat bypass valve when doing a cooler upgrade to remove the milkshake cooler. I have one on order and am yet to fit it and test. My trans temp never makes it passed 70°C (usually sits around 55-65°C) and my adapt values never changed after changing solenoids and valve body seals. But changing those parts did cure my TCC rpm fluttering on freeway cruising.

image.png.23770cc4047d06f5c186b4e475335897.png

Fluid Control Thermostats : 3/8'' NPT Fluid Control Thermostat Kit (derale.com)

**he most recent one is is where the clutches have been named** (after i did the seals an trans fluid service) ( checked it the way before it was at 500 for clutchD)
**the one under the german names, are about 1 month ago** (before i did the seals an trains fluid) 
we can guess that clutch E isnt very happy, but it shifts just fine. an the adaption hasn't changed in a long time. 
i have done a trans cooler install with the supervision of a trans expert he suggested to not worry about the thermostat controller, my trans temps are the exact as yours between 55-65. the omcoming onto the highway was making mine slip an go into limp mode, i upped the line pressure from 5.1 - 7 bar an the 9.1 bar upto 10bar an it seems to be okay!
i do have a 2nd box at a mates workshop. thats got 125km on it. which ive done all the deals on it, an drained all the fluid out of of it. (need to do front seal, as i wasnt meant to use lube on the converter seal)

276156008_1022733708649960_709981564387475362_n.jpg

275011501_727186861859737_9192665982083981906_n.jpg

theres also ZF00016  which is shift adaption at 70 degrees so im not 100% tbh. 

keep us updated! please, as its crazy these boxes have been out for nearly 20 years now. an still stuff have no idea on them!! the BTR are such a simple box. 

3 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

You need lube on the inside of the seal. A splash of trans fluid is fine but a dry converter into a dry seal is not.

i meant i used lube to help install it, i thought it is meant to be  installed dry. an then as you said a drip of trans fluid on the neck an the seal

7 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Yeah nah you don't need lube to install it. How well is it stuck in there? If it's properly jammed in there then leave it. If it comes out easily then perhaps clean it off and reinstall it, providing it's undamaged.

im not 100%, i did buy 2 seals. so i might just rip that one out. an put the new one in. the seals only cost me about 4 dollars from work. so it certainly is helpful! 

• 1 month later...

It just means they've pulled pressure out to achieve the shift profile. Can be caused by fluid change or pressure adjustments. 

Logically lower numbers indicate less wear, but of course if the line pressure is raised or torque mis reported then the box is smart enough to adapt up or down to achieve what it wants to see internally. 

Side note, there is another set of adaptions you want to log, they are the quick charge times. There's 5 of them but only 3 have values. Clutch A B & C.

• 4 weeks later...

They are long term learn values. They're for each clutch pack. Not for each shift like 1-2=A, 2-3=B etc. There is a target shift torque profile that is commanded by the TCM. The adapt values change over time to ensure the actual shift hits the torque profile.  

Edited by hjtrbo
Extra info.
  • Like 1

Have a read of these. That all the info I have on the ZF so far. I'm trying to look for a function framework document. If I can find one that will basically unlock the whole gear box to us. No more guessing parameters.  

ZF_Workbook-transmission-6-8HP.pdf ZF6_Webinar-FINAL.pdf ZF-BMW-6HP19-6HP26-6HP32-Automatic-Transmission-Functional-Descriptions.pdf

• Like 3