btr s3/s4 solenoid disable ?

BFWAGON

• 1 year later...

Good question. I think this is a case of try and see?

There are some parameters like the following which might be interesting to play with. Obviously beware it is a possibility you could seriously damage the trans by changing these parameters. 

auF13298 Solenoid Override (could be a boolean 1/0 on/off or it could be a bitmask and take values like 0,1,2,4,8,16 etc)

auF13165 Forces S1 Electrically ON

auF13162 Forces S2 Electrically ON

auF13390 Forces S3 Electrically ON

Alternatively you could just set certain gears to have shift points that are out of range so it won't select those gears.

What is the goal?

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the input, I'll look at this as a use case to see what yields best performance, survivability. OSID HAANF doesn't seem to have such values I believe. Can you share which strategy was used or OSID?

Just rebuilt a BTR 4 spd trans (ION) with various parts from the e series BTR's which have stronger internals to beef up the ION /BTR from a BA XR6 Turbo I don't want to go into too much detail as it may undermine transmission builders.

I believe the main culprit for failure is due to transmission line pressure(something not new). I noticed even with new friction and clutch plates, the trans didn't last a chance behind a 450KW BA XR6 turbo even with adjustments to  transmission Torque Reductions within the strategy using PCM tech. I also data logged all relevant trans values with Forscan to assist with analyzing what the trans does and expected current & PWM from S5. Just curious with the logic and ensuring the solenoids behavior in their respective solenoids sequence when going through gears and trouble shooting the transmission.

So pulled it down again and noticed wear on friction plates and burnt out clutch plates within the C1 drum along with the 1st & 2nd gear plates.

Solenoids S3/S4 assist with a smooth shifts between gears, with cars pushing the 300 KW plus will not survive with the ordinary pressure. hence I recall in the earlier E series BTR's you can disconnect / cut loom from PCM to trans connector and either have an external solenoid attached to ground to 5w resister ~ 30 ohm load to simulate a solenoid load.

S3 switch's clutch regulator on or off & S4 switch Band regulator on or off.

This firms up shifts and saves the friction plates and clutch plates within the C1 drum of the BTR this is 3rd and 4th (overdrive). Overall to save these trans, it is purely adding more line pressure than what it currently has; hence the option to disable them. I believe shiftkit.com.au may do something like this within their modules and firm up S5 solenoid but will require to bypass trans values within the PCM.

I noticed in another post auF1512 with a out of range value will increase pressure. ( ill be testing shortly and provide feedback)

Overall I would like to be able to disable S3/S4 to see if this will assist rather than doing it manually by cutting up the loom and adding module or resistor method if possible.

I hope this information helps. NB this is all for experimental purposes as always 🙂

AN-ford-new-1-5-21.fsl AN-ford-new-run2-1-5-21.fsl

Edited by abs351

• 3 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, abs351 said:

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the input, I'll look at this as a use case to see what yields best performance, survivability. OSID HAANF doesn't seem to have such values I believe. Can you share which strategy was used or OSID?

Just rebuilt a BTR 4 spd trans (ION) with various parts from the e series BTR's which have stronger internals to beef up the ION /BTR from a BA XR6 Turbo I don't want to go into too much detail as it may undermine transmission builders.

I believe the main culprit for failure is due to transmission line pressure(something not new). I noticed even with new friction and clutch plates, the trans didn't last a chance behind a 450KW BA XR6 turbo even with adjustments to  transmission Torque Reductions within the strategy using PCM tech. I also data logged all relevant trans values with Forscan to assist with analyzing what the trans does and expected current & PWM from S5. Just curious with the logic and ensuring the solenoids behavior in their respective solenoids sequence when going through gears and trouble shooting the transmission.

So pulled it down again and noticed wear on friction plates and burnt out clutch plates within the C1 drum along with the 1st & 2nd gear plates.

Solenoids S3/S4 assist with a smooth shifts between gears, with cars pushing the 300 KW plus will not survive with the ordinary pressure. hence I recall in the earlier E series BTR's you can disconnect / cut loom from PCM to trans connector and either have an external solenoid attached to ground to 5w resister ~ 30 ohm load to simulate a solenoid load.

S3 switch's clutch regulator on or off & S4 switch Band regulator on or off.

This firms up shifts and saves the friction plates and clutch plates within the C1 drum of the BTR this is 3rd and 4th (overdrive). Overall to save these trans, it is purely adding more line pressure than what it currently has; hence the option to disable them. I believe shiftkit.com.au may do something like this within their modules and firm up S5 solenoid but will require to bypass trans values within the PCM.

I noticed in another post auF1512 with a out of range value will increase pressure. ( ill be testing shortly and provide feedback)

Overall I would like to be able to disable S3/S4 to see if this will assist rather than doing it manually by cutting up the loom and adding module or resistor method if possible.

I hope this information helps. NB this is all for experimental purposes as always 🙂

AN-ford-new-1-5-21.fsl 668.18 kB · 6 downloads AN-ford-new-run2-1-5-21.fsl 649.79 kB · 1 download

did you get anywhere with tuning the btr?

Hi Beerturbo,

auF1512 is the value you want to adjust and take it out of tolerance, i used -500 degree across entire table. Car shifts harder, as I believe more line pressure is present when with such values applied.

I then datalogged trans pressure with forscan and it did do exactly that increase line pressure along with solenoid current (amperage) values change as expected.

I sent you a PM for further information also

ABZ

• 4 months later...

You can also turn the s5 solenoid torx screw in a turn . I did this and tried -500 on the s5 global temps and was shifting very hard . too hard in a daily driver in my ion box. So I just reduced the s5 global temps 30% at a time , twice with the manual turning in the s5 screw and now shifts sweet and quick. 14psi 460 rwhp turbo rods and f6 pistons . The Box in stock Na form was on a path to death, with the 1-2 drum ( Im not a gear box ace , so hopefully u get what I'm saying lol.), badly scored and very long shifts and loosing 4 th gear . Kickdown would go straight to the limiter ( the oil gears were a great investment ) and 1-2 band needed a lot of shimming to get back to spec . Had to replace all of the shift solenoids and thankfully the s7 lockup solenoid was ok. This box is in my wifes na  2005 Territory Ghia with 371 000 k. its now hanging in there just on 10 psi on 380-400 rwhp. On the Magnet it was full of black geese substance, When I pulled the valve body to check the band adjustment (1-2 band can't be adjusted anymore ).  Can only assume that was bits and pieces of clutch crud and a small bit of of the aluminium specs in the sump, from the 1-2 drum. I suspect soft shifting with 450 plus hp and the band out of adjustment didn't help.

I wish I knew this before turboing it ! live and learn.

Regards Graham.

• Like 1