ZF speed Source

BeerTurbo

Hi Guys

im doing a barra n zf into a r31 and im just putting my ducks in line. I was hoping to get a complete fg setup, but time is short so its not going to happen.

now i got the chance to get a bf with zf loom but no gearbox - then i can buy a fg na gearbox with pcm or a turbo bf zf box.

my understanding would be the turbo bf box would be stronger, but has no speed source and ill need to diy one into the r31

the fg zf box has its own speed source and i wont need further mods

is this right, or can we get vss from BF zf's?

PCM and TCM need to be paired and matched. You can't use a BF PCM with an FG TCM or vice versa. They both need to come from the same vehicle otherwise it will not work.

An NA ZF will explode with completely stock turbo engine, it isn't an option, you need the turbo box.

Spend the time to do this properly in one go, otherwise you'll be paying more than twice over.

15 minutes ago, Roland@pcmtec said:

PCM and TCM need to be paired and matched. You can't use a BF PCM with an FG TCM or vice versa. They both need to come from the same vehicle otherwise it will not work.

An NA ZF will explode with completely stock turbo engine, it isn't an option, you need the turbo box.

Spend the time to do this properly in one go, otherwise you'll be paying more than twice over.

engine is NA

PCM will be used from the trans.

questions more relation the VSS in the gearbox, as at this stage im not keen on adding external hall-efect sensor to the tail-shaft, as this will be driven in the dirt. would rather use the ZF that has VSS internally.

As far as I know all the ZF boxes have an output shaft speed sensor internally. Who said they don't?

If the engine is BF NA then use an NA BF gearbox as well. This will be simplest. If you get an FG NA gearbox then whiteford tech or custom machine works can do a mail order service to convert the TCM back to a BF model. I'm unsure if there are any physical differences in the gearbox that would cause issues though.

Make sure you don't get an FGX ZF6HP21 gearbox as these are completely different and incompatible with anything other than an FGX PCM.

1 hour ago, BeerTurbo said:

Le old internet telling me bf stuffups, hence why i thought id come here and ask the experts.

So bf ecu can read zf gearbox speed input no issues

I mean its possible it can't and it uses the ABS module but I've never heard anyone say this other than you. Where did you read this?

You just have to make sure you use a BF TCM and BF PCM. FG won't talk to BF and vice versa.

I've seen a stock na zf bf gearbox last in a falcon at 400rwkw+ for at least 18 months before it started to slip on the shift. It'd be fine in a much lighter car like a r31.

I've swapped between vss and abs for speed source in a bf turbo tune and it made frig all difference. Take from that what you will, I ain't no expert.