Don't know what happened but I bricked my PCM

hjtrbo

As per the title. Gutted too as it is an APS-234; they're worth gold now. Also has a whole bunch of custom OS credits in it, but I know I can get those transferred with the serial merge service. 

It is my bench test set up, maybe I hit a can line with 12V, I don't know. Anyway, the can lines are completely dead. I am curious, is there a way to get it into boot loader mode?  All above my security clearance I imagine :).  

• hjtrbo changed the title to Don't know what happened but I bricked my PCM

i bricked my territory once when i turned it off mid write.

I was lucky and was able to set the write mode to recovery and then re write it all back and fixed it up.

without any can you might be in trouble.

back in he day i bricked a powerfc for the sr20 twice, one was me doing some bad wiring and the other was an engine bay fire. anyway there was a guy that i think posts on the nistune forums, had a business checking ecus and he ficed it both times. it might actually have been mat from nistune.

PowerFC, that's a blast from the past! I've got a never fired built RB25DET stowed away for a rainy day. You still got the SR? They're a great motor, very fun in a light car.

Is there much that can be seen by pulling the cover off the PCM? I'm imagining it's completely full of potting compound. 

Before I send it to Brett at Custom Machine Works, I'm going to give the Forscan recovery mode a crack (assuming Ford PCM's are supported?). I might get lucky and the boot loader still exists and responds to comms over can for a brief moment after power is applied. 🤷‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, hjtrbo said:

PowerFC, that's a blast from the past! I've got a never fired built RB25DET stowed away for a rainy day. You still got the SR? They're a great motor, very fun in a light car.

Is there much that can be seen by pulling the cover off the PCM? I'm imagining it's completely full of potting compound. 

Before I send it to Brett at Custom Machine Works, I'm going to give the Forscan recovery mode a crack (assuming Ford PCM's are supported?). I might get lucky and the boot loader still exists and responds to comms over can for a brief moment after power is applied. 🤷‍♂️ 

Oh god no. Its been vq30det then rb25 now nothing in the bay. Ill probably throw a barra in next, since every other car i have is barra powered now.

45 minutes ago, hjtrbo said:

Well holy fuck, tried the new Forscan Beta with module programming recovery mode. She bloody worked!!! My PCM is back alive and ready to roll. Caveat is you need to buy the 1 year license at $21AUD, the extended trial license won't let you do it.

That's great mate.
You need the paid licence to get access to the beta area of the forum to get the download link for 2.4.8beta but yes, recovery mode works well. It took a few emails, sending debug data to the FORScan team in 2.4.7.test builds to get it working properly with the vLinker FS & J2534 devices. There were a few service procedure interrupted errors, resulting in no communication with the PCM, but they got there in the end. I had another tool I could use to recover the PCM, so it was ready to try again when another test build was provided.

So far, I've only had 1 PCM sent to me that I haven't been able to properly recover using FORScan or return to stock. The PCM wouldn't communicate in car with any scan tools, HP or read using PCMtec recovery mode. I wasn't going to licence it to try writing to it.

It was an ABU-244 BA turbo PCM, that would recover using FORScan over & over. Once recovered, it would then read with HP, PCMtec & FORScan. Give it half hour to an hour of being connected on the bench & it wouldn't communicate again. Leave it disconnected for a few hours & it could be recovered again using FORScan but kept losing COMMS over time. Not a FORScan issue but a hardware issue. It'd been sent for repairs twice & sent back after being supposedly being repaired, prior to being sent to me. A replacement PCM was installed & that solved the problem.

There's a few other things you can do with FORScan PCM programming, that are pretty handy, if you have the Ford calibration files & spend a bit of time to work out a few workarounds.

• Thanks 2