whats the most youve seen?

yoda598

hey guys, i was tuning my bf xr6t on e85 yesterday and it got me thinking. what's the most timing you've seen a stock barra take on e85 at say 10psi-19psi? mine kept making power far past what i thought itd take, even on e85!! 19deg high in the rpm range and still climbing at 18psi! i got nervous and stopped hahaha

On 10/9/2020 at 4:22 PM, yoda598 said:

But how far is too far lol

Do not go past MBT. MBT is defined as when you stop making torque and start to go backwards. You need a load cell dyno to calibrate MBT accurately. MBT will be different depending on lots of things such as intake and coolant temp, there is no magic number. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On the dyno I got 17 degrees into my built motor at 19psi and 98 octane before it showed any detonation. There was no knock at 16 degrees however I took it down to 13-14 degrees and it went from 370awkw to 350awkw.

I'll be doing some more e85 testing on the dyno soon so I'll see how much it can take before it stops making power.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BeerTurbo said:

have you read jets thread on xr6turbo? sometime he puts out some wisdom, but as a tuner they aren't going to tell you what they have spent hours finding out, not for free anyway.

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/84077-jets-tuning-oh-no/page/193/?tab=comments#comment-1683202

Sometimes ? LoL never, i hear he’s a total butt stick 

O.P ..... Buy a stand alone Knock detection device, Hire a Dyno, Report back ;) 

That’s the answer 

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 5:33 PM, Puffwagon said:

On the dyno I got 17 degrees into my built motor at 19psi and 98 octane before it showed any detonation. There was no knock at 16 degrees however I took it down to 13-14 degrees and it went from 370awkw to 350awkw.

Haha quoting myself here, I got the car on the dyno this afternoon with the exhaust pulled off and it looked like it showed a bit of knock in the graph at 13-14 degrees of timing and 22psi on 98 octane from ampol. It might have been fine with BP 98 and maybe not. It made 409awkw for the record.

23 hours ago, JETURBO said:

FGX XR8 5.0S/C

A nice car. Updooted for shiny 😁

it’s a reasonable effort Nathan and you’ve got a pretty quick bus indeed now ! 

I was going to post it on the turbo forum but here is as good as any and something you would be able to pre determine before a result... if you see a result, it’s damage done ( Potentially ) 14* on 98 with 23psi is pretty hectic but... but depending on the build, compression and a huge array of other factors ( that can always change ) it might be right. 

Knock detection will be screaming way before this and or any scanner KR activity as calibrated Knock detection does wonderful things for your eyes/ears/data logs and you can avoid Dyno graph detection ;) 

IbZAQ7L.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Ok a good result today. I got the knock detection working through the headphones as well as the Tuner Nerd software. There was no knock at all running up and down the road at 19psi and 13-14 degrees of timing.

I'm glad I got it sorted so I can take better care of my engine.

thats brilliant. on 98 still too i think you mentioned. 

where did you get your knock detection gear if you dont mind me asking.

• 2 months later...